PDA

View Full Version : NCPlot v2.20 beta 2 now available

MetLHead
09-20-2009, 04:32 PM
These beta versions are for testing only and are intended to help us work out problems before updates are released. To download, go to www.ncplot.com and click the NCPlot v2 link.

NCPlot v2.20 BETA 2 Release Notes
September 20, 2009

General

If the Preferences dialog is open and changes have been made to the settings then NCPlot will prompt you to save these changes before shutting down.

Fixed the shortcut keys on the 'Find' dialog for the 'Find What' and 'Replace With' settings.

Shortcut keys assigned to the items on the 'File' menu were appearing next to the wrong menu item. This is fixed.

Fixed the error message when trying to import settings 'Setup / Import Settings'.

When NCPlot was launched by double-clicking an associated file it gave an error message that the file was already open. This has been fixed.

Added a 'Close All' menu option to the 'Window' menu.

If there more documents open than the 'Open Files' toolbar can display you can now click the small band at its right end to see a list of the non-visible document names.

Window Tiling

Added a window tiling option called 'Tile' to the 'Window' menu.

Changed the behavior of the 'Tile Vertically' and 'Tile Horizontally' tools. These tools will now always arrange the documents in their respective directions regardless of how many are open.

Added an option to the Preferences dialog called 'Auto Arrange Files'. When this option is checked the open files will re-tile themselves whenever a file is opened or closed. The last selected tiling option from the 'Window' menu is used.

Viewport

The viewport can now only be docked on the left or right side of the application window. It can still be detached from the application.

Fixed a problem with the viewport scroll bar. Dragging the scroll bar back and forth several times would eventually lead to an error message.

Comments are welcome! Let me know if you have any trouble.

Thanks,
Scott

TURNER
09-22-2009, 04:05 AM
Hi Scott, a few notes for you to browse....
1) When multiple files are open, could you make the viewport auto refresh to the selected program as you switch between them. If when programs are first opened and plotted a machine config is selected, maybe you could store this for each open file so when you flick back to that program the m/c config is loaded and plot refreshed. If a plot has not been performed before another file is opened set to a default. I.E for each open file, remember last selected config used when this file was active.

2)If the viewport is undocked and then closed, to get it back you have to right click toolbar and recheck viewport. Could maybe add a toolbar button to do this.."Show viewport"

3)I have noticed when using keyboard to step through plot ie press 's' forward and 'b' backward if you hold the s key down plot steps quickly through program but if you press and hold b program reverses quickly but does not refresh graphics...ok on single presses.
(did this on previous version not a new problem)

4)When using the measure function on the graphics cursor shows a crosshair,
previous versions showed a box around the intersect points, i prefered that was clearer.

No major issues, well done again.
P.S. Hows the 3d going?,(this is what im waiting for). Is this change getting ready for implementing that?
Cheers
Keith.

yongchiprsnapr
09-22-2009, 10:20 PM
havent downloaded the newest version yet, but also in the last one i found happened once in a while(25+ times), was when you started ncplot, went to file then opened any program, nc plot just sat there and did nothing. not a big problem you just had to do it again. dont know if that was fixed. or once again just me.

MetLHead
09-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Scott, a few notes for you to browse....
1) When multiple files are open, could you make the viewport auto refresh to the selected program as you switch between them. If when programs are first opened and plotted a machine config is selected, maybe you could store this for each open file so when you flick back to that program the m/c config is loaded and plot refreshed. If a plot has not been performed before another file is opened set to a default. I.E for each open file, remember last selected config used when this file was active.

If you turn on the auto refresh option under 'Draw / Auto refresh viewport' it will refresh the viewport when you switch files. Switching configurations may be a bit more difficult, I'll look into it.

2)If the viewport is undocked and then closed, to get it back you have to right click toolbar and recheck viewport. Could maybe add a toolbar button to do this.."Show viewport"

This brings up a good point... figuring out how to turn toolbars back on is not obvious. I'm thinking that a toolbar menu might be in order.

3)I have noticed when using keyboard to step through plot ie press 's' forward and 'b' backward if you hold the s key down plot steps quickly through program but if you press and hold b program reverses quickly but does not refresh graphics...ok on single presses.
(did this on previous version not a new problem)

I hadn't noticed this, thanks for pointing it out.

4)When using the measure function on the graphics cursor shows a crosshair,
previous versions showed a box around the intersect points, i prefered that was clearer.

I can change it to whatever, I was just trying to make it more visible.

No major issues, well done again.
P.S. Hows the 3d going?,(this is what im waiting for). Is this change getting ready for implementing that?
Cheers
Keith.

The 3d has been on hold while I've been working on the last couple of updates, but as soon as this update is finished then finishing the 3d will be next.

Thanks,
Scott

MetLHead
09-23-2009, 12:42 PM
havent downloaded the newest version yet, but also in the last one i found happened once in a while(25+ times), was when you started ncplot, went to file then opened any program, nc plot just sat there and did nothing. not a big problem you just had to do it again. dont know if that was fixed. or once again just me.

I haven't seen this happen so I can't really offer much help. The only thing I can suggest is to try the latest version (now v2.20 beta 2). If it is still a problem in this version then let me know what OS version you are running so I can try to duplicate it.

Thanks,
Scott

TURNER
09-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Hi again Scott,
May have found another little 1. When you open a program or switch between programs ncp shows a text control fill docked. If you have the main window NOT maximized and you resize it the text control does not refresh docked in the left panel. Maybe you didnt want it to do this. Ill leave it with you, see what you think.
....Keep it up
Keith.

MetLHead
09-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks Keith, I somehow missed that.

Scott

TURNER
09-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks Keith, I somehow missed that.

Scott

Hi, just noticed if you double click title bar of file this docks it, like the graphic window, is ok then when resizing, it stays fully docked.
Guess its just a bit of getting used to how things work. My previous post was in tile view i think.
Thanks Keith.

SwissPR0
12-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Hello All,
I am a new Forum user, but have had NC Plot for some time now.
Some of the macros I try to plot use G32 commands and NC Plot doesn't seem to recognize them?
It seems to recognize G92 just fine.
Do any of the latest udates fix this?
I purchased version 2.0, and it states that it covers all updates to version 3.0
How do I upgrade to the latest version?
Thank You in advance for any help!

MetLHead
12-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Hello,

NCPlot doesn't currently come with a cycle for G32, but one can be added without updating. I've attached a G32 cycle to this message that I think will work, you'll need to try it out and let me know if it is what you need. To install this cycle:
1. Unzip the attached file and copy it to the folder for your current configuration.... if you are using the configuration "Lathe Diameter" then its folder will be at "\Program Files\NCPlot v2.07\Config\Lathe Diameter".
2. Open the machine configuration in NCPlot and go to the "G / M Codes" page. Where it says "G-Code macros" type in "G32" and hit enter. Then save the configuration.

Give this a shot and let me know if this helps.

FYI: To update to the latest version, uninstall your current version and then download and install the current version from the website. The current version is v2.07, with v2.20 currently in development.

Thanks,
Scott

SwissPR0
12-28-2009, 05:36 PM
The G32 isn't an actual cycle. More a spindle rotation sync with the given feedrate for the axis movement per line.
It just errors when it reads the G32
I could replace them with a G1, or just take the G32's out, and then it plots just fine.

Perhaps what you sent me will work, I'm just concerned as I'm using most of those variables you are used in my macro. Not sure if it will replace the values I'm using.

MetLHead
12-28-2009, 06:43 PM
The local variables in the G32 G-Code macro will not replace any variables outside of the macro, so you should be ok there.

Scott

SwissPR0
12-28-2009, 07:22 PM
I gave it a shot, but it added unwanted tool path. to the x and z coordinates in your subprogram.

I had the best luck just taking out the G32's - keeping all tool path in G00
then changing the control settings of the rapid to interpolated.

MetLHead
12-28-2009, 09:18 PM
OK, give this one a shot. This one should simulate the G32 the same as a G01.

Thanks,
Scott

SwissPR0
12-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Worked like a charm :)
Thank you Scott,
Jurell

mvcalypso
01-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Scott,
I decided to try out the beta NCPlot.
I think it has a parsing bug (or at least an undesireable feature :-) ) - I think I remember NCplot having the same bug a few years ago and then it was fixed.

The problem is that key word coloing is be applied inside of comments (between parens). This makes comments hard to read as letters in english words chars get colored as if they were Gcode key words.

I'd suggest that color keying should not be applied to comments.

Dave

mvcalypso
01-17-2010, 01:48 PM
NCPlot 2.20 opens with a blank grey gcode area. I found this confusing - I typed to enter code and nothing happened... I figured out that I had to do a file/new and then I had what I expected.

It would probably be more intuative for ncplot to open with a blank untitled file window ready to have text entered into it (when NCplot is invoked w/o a file name passed to it)

Dave

mvcalypso
01-17-2010, 03:05 PM
More info:
This appears to happen via file/new; then type in "(this is a comment)" for the first line - the letters in the comment are colored as if they were not in a comment.
If I open an existing gcode file this does not happen (the comment is all one color as speced in address colors).

Dave

Hi Scott,
I decided to try out the beta NCPlot.
I think it has a parsing bug (or at least an undesireable feature :-) ) - I think I remember NCplot having the same bug a few years ago and then it was fixed.

The problem is that key word coloing is be applied inside of comments (between parens). This makes comments hard to read as letters in english words chars get colored as if they were Gcode key words.

I'd suggest that color keying should not be applied to comments.

Dave

MetLHead
01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi Dave,

The coloring thing is not new, it has always been this way. Its just that the coloring logic while you're typing is not as smart as when it's applied to the whole file.

As for having a new file open on startup, this is a preference thing that I will probably add on option for. Some folks prefer it to open without a blank file so they don't have to close it before opening the file they want to edit.

Thanks,
Scott