PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy wheel blanks?

BARCC
03-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi, this is my 1st thread, but I have been having a hard time trying to find the aluminum wheel blanks they use on American Chopper, and American Hotrod! I couldnt find a place to post this, so I decided to post it here. Could someone tell me where I can find these things, because when I go to a search engine, it pulls up skateboard stuff! Any help would be appreciated.

skippy
03-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Can you be a bit more specific? i.e. what are you trying to do? I once made up rims for the rear of a dragster as it was a special size for a vehicle that was lighter than normal. We bought spun aluminium inner and outer halves from a metal spinner and made up our own centre sections. This effectively makes three piece rims in the style of the classic centerline wheels. Whether this is what you are talking about or not, I do not know.
Skippy

BARCC
03-09-2005, 04:44 PM
what I am asking for is: http://www.cyclecustomizing.com/products/forged_wheel_blank_6793.html this type of wheel blank, but this is all I could find on the internet, and I know there has to be more manufacturers, and I am also looking for car wheel blanks, not just motorcycles. Thanks :wee:

skippy
03-09-2005, 05:11 PM
That sure is a nice looking wheel but unfortunately I can't help you with other names.
Skippy

DAB_Design
03-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Why not try and email a few manufacturers and ask? If you email enough of them, I'm sure someone would be willing to help you out.

For instance www.halibrand.com. They're a pretty small place just a couple of blocks from me.

MBG
03-09-2005, 09:00 PM
I know that body coddington and jesse james make them out of bullet aluminum. If you wnated that it is very expensive and would get it from an aluminum guy that would most likely get it from alcoa.

-garrett

smallplanes
03-09-2005, 10:40 PM
You can get them from where Jesse James gets his and i know the place.
He buys his blanks he does not make them. I bought one a while back and have not had time to machine it. Heres the name of the place American Wheel Company there in Calif. They also have a web site try that. There is only one thing you have to be a Company they can not sell to just anyone.
Try this site i think it will help you.

Thanks
smallplanes

miljnor
03-09-2005, 11:43 PM
I am in the motorcycle aftermarket and there aint that many people making wheel blanks (for motorcycles) and the people that are are pretty tapped out. I know the one smallplanes is talking about even though the sight didn't make it to the page and I think unless your willing to pay big money he aint gona sell one or two peices.. but just a thought

My company has been looking to get into the wheel thing but probably wont happen for awhile yet. but if we do I will post and I am sure I can get a deal to you.. but might be a couple months.

MBG
03-10-2005, 06:48 AM
You can get them from where Jesse James gets his and i know the place.
He buys his blanks he does not make them. I bought one a while back and have not had time to machine it. Heres the name of the place American Wheel Company there in Calif. They also have a web site try that. There is only one thing you have to be a Company they can not sell to just anyone.
Try this site i think it will help you.

Thanks
smallplanes

how much are those wheel blanks?

BARCC
03-10-2005, 07:46 AM
I put: American Wheel Company in the search bar, and it didnt bring up anything, wheres the site at? :wee:

DareBee
03-10-2005, 08:07 AM
Like MBG was saying, Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose (and I am sure others) machine theirs from billett aluminum.
billet meaning solid barstock. I would imagine you would want to use a 7075 type grade.
The thing I am unsure on is the actual tire flanges. I wonder if you wanted to make 2 or 3 piece wheels if you could buy the flanges "spun" and just make the centre. If you could it would probably cost 1/4 as much and be stronger than a 100% machined.

WayneHill
03-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Try this source:

http://www.amtwheels.com/

MBG
03-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Like MBG was saying, Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose (and I am sure others) machine theirs from billett aluminum.
billet meaning solid barstock. I would imagine you would want to use a 7075 type grade.
The thing I am unsure on is the actual tire flanges. I wonder if you wanted to make 2 or 3 piece wheels if you could buy the flanges "spun" and just make the centre. If you could it would probably cost 1/4 as much and be stronger than a 100% machined.

why would that be stronger than 100% machined? BUt I read that jesee james wheels took like 2 days to machine from billet.

miljnor
03-10-2005, 04:09 PM
we use 6061-t6 for machining wheels.. 7075 is overkill and is more prone to cracking I believe. most blanks are cast and I would have to ask what alloy but the call out is alot different than billet call out.

smallplanes
03-10-2005, 08:09 PM
I told you wrong i think it ALL AMERICAN WHEEL COMPANY. The guy i talked to his name is Nicky. The wheels they sell a forged 6061 and they sell cast a little cheaper. When i talked to Nicky at ALL AMER. he told me that he sales to Jessie James. The wheels come polished and they look good. You will have to drill you valve stem hole and put your hub bolt pattern in it then final machine. I got one for $145 plus shipping that rim only no hub. Try this.

Thanks
smallplanes

BARCC
03-10-2005, 08:31 PM
smallplanes, I cant find a website for: All American Wheel Company, and I didnt know that they were only $145, the 1 on e-bay was around $800, but that was for cars. Thanks :wee:

Nonoriginal
03-10-2005, 09:49 PM
I don't want to flame or degrade any one...however...

Billet wheels are weak. Cast are a little better and FORGED are the best. Contract an Engineering firm to conduct a FEA analysis on a design of a wheel that will be machined...ITS NOT PRETTY. The wheels Jesse actually machines are (mostly) for show. A couple of miles here and there will not hurt. You would not want to ride from LA to Sturgis on a machined wheel unless its still practically all there (just hoged out a bit).

You don't have to take my word for it. Google: Billet vs Forged+wheels ...and see for yourself. BTW - Wheel making (automotive/motorcycle) is not very profitable unless you make ALOT of them or your name is Jesse James.

smallplanes
03-10-2005, 10:06 PM
I don't know why you internet would not pull it up but mine did . Here is the web site http://www.allamericanwheel.com/default.htm Try this one and let me know. This company is two company's in one the other name is actcoleman.com

Thanks
smallplanes

BARCC
03-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Thanks, smallplanes, I went to the website, and those are exactly what Ive been looking for for the past so many years! My last question, is, Where do i buy the hold down clamps that go around it, and I saw on American Chopper, they have the hold down clamps that go around it, and they have something in the middle, where it sits.

smallplanes
03-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Well thats where you come in,you can not buy the clamps you have to make your own. I made my own and i have it where it will bolts down on 4 places around the out side and one in the middle. I made it where it will grab the in side of the tire bead of the rim. I have it made on 5 blocks of steel so you can run different size rims on it. To tell you truth i have all the tooling and all the fixture's made to do the rims but i have never cut a pattern in one yet. I have put the bolt pattern and milled the center section out to fit the hub. You must do this before you put the center section in. I have the center section made where when i load the rim on to it it will slide over a dowl pin that fits one of the bolt holes. That way when you flip the rim your pattern will match. You will have to load it back on the same bolt hole when you flip it. I've never done one but i have done a lot of reserch on it.

Thanks and glad i could help
smallplanes

dartplayer1
03-14-2005, 09:20 AM
smallplanes

Could you post some pictures of your fixture set-up

Thanks

parasj
03-19-2009, 04:06 PM
I think are Company can provide thoses but there has to be a minimum plus I need a diagram cad or whatever.If the order is big enough I can usually get the order filled within two months.Here is my Website and a few of the things i carry.

http://www.palmerengg-int.350.com/

Cheers.

PJ

mhudsonbsme
09-13-2015, 07:49 PM
smallplanes

Could you post some pictures of your fixture set-up

Thanks

If you are interested I have several sizes of forged wheel blanks that I had leftover from a production wheel machining job. They are brand new.

2isbetterthan4
11-25-2015, 11:46 AM
If you are interested I have several sizes of forged wheel blanks that I had leftover from a production wheel machining job. They are brand new.

Can you PM me with sizes and prices. I am interested. Also any info you may have on where you got them.

Thanks
kyle