PDA

View Full Version : Welding with a Pace Maker

MrWild
09-13-2009, 10:27 AM
It was only after they got this thing in me did they tell me I'm not supposed to weld due to electrical interference. Has anyone welded heliarc after they got a pace maker? I'm ready to wrap grounded aluminum foil around my chest to at as a Faraday cage

garagefela
09-14-2009, 07:47 AM
I just did a Google search for "welding with a pacemaker" and got tons of hits.

Search for that and have a read, some really good info there. Could have linked them here but just too many.

Cheers M

MrWild
09-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Had a heart to heart talk with my Cardiologist. He said that welding would NOT harm the defibrillator, but I might get a jolt. The jolt wouldn't kill me, but it'd be a horse kick if it goes off. Sounds like I'll give it a try once I'm healed up.

Geof
09-21-2009, 10:44 PM
..... I'm ready to wrap grounded aluminum foil around my chest to at as a Faraday cage

You need to get yourself a chainmail jerkin, much more stylish than aluminum foil.:D

HuFlungDung
09-21-2009, 11:56 PM
From various experiences I've had around the shop with various welders, etc causing RF interference, the plasma torch is by far the worst thing: it'll make one PC on one machine reboot, and it will blow a small fuse on a power supply on an a digital scale readout. This, at a distance of 20 to 50 feet from the welding area.

I've never had issues caused by any of the welders, apart from the usual sizzle sound on the radio :)