PDA

View Full Version : Xylotex setup file

anoah
06-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Hi gang,

I just ordered the Xylotex 3-Axis stepper controller and 3 - 116oz stepers from Xylotex.

My macxhine will be using 1/4-20 rod.

I was wondering of anyone had a setup file for TurboCNC for this driver that they would be willing to share.

Thanks,

Albert

WOODKNACK
06-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Ya sure I have An .INI File for the xylotex board. Just give me a email and i'll send it to you. I am using that board and turbocnc and also 1/4-20 rod.

flyrc
07-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Hello, WOODKNACK

My cnc router I expect to be completed on Friday when UPS shows up with my Power Supply,

I am also using Xylotex 3-Axis stepper controller and 3 - 116oz steppers from Xylotex.

but with 1/2-13 all thread.

Should I not be able to configure TurboCNC to use my setup thorough its interface.

Or is it just easier / Faster to use a setup file.

if you can also share the file with me or advice on this topic that would be great.

Thanks,

kong
07-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Setting up TurboCNC is a piece of cake. You don't really need the setup file. As long as you know your steps per inch on your leadscrews, you will be fine. The speeds/accel, etc for your motors will need to be unique to your machine anyways, as there will be different weights to move and friction to oppose per machine. Just plug it in, and GO!

balsaman
07-09-2003, 04:45 PM
The setup (ini) file helps a little with the step, dir, and enable pin setup. The accel etc, well, you need to do that based on your machine alone.

Eric

flyrc
07-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Ok,

This may be a bit off subject but, as I mention I am using the Xylotex 3 axis board,

and Plan to use TurboCNC,

I though I would go with the Parallel setup for my limit switches,
as seen here http://www.xylotex.com/HomeSw.pdf

My understanding is that, the parallel setup basically just gives the software the signal to know that it has reached the limit.

but looking at the documentation for TurboCNC, I don’t see where to set up the pin inputs, or if I can even use the parallel setup.

any recommendations would be great.

Thanks,

kong
07-10-2003, 11:50 AM
If you go into machine setup in TurboCNC, it will lead you there. It's fairly self explanatory. I use parallel wiring for my home switches, and series for the limit switches. You should just make sure you enough spare pins before you wire them all up in parallel.

flyrc
07-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks Kong

I foudn it now,

I plan was to take the parrallel setup and add a second switch for each axis,

So basically a Parrallel then a second switch in serier,

I dont have any other input so I should be fine.

Thansk for the help....

I think I'll add a panic button also.. ( I'm sure I will be doing a lot of that my first few part I cut )

balsaman
07-10-2003, 04:47 PM
A panic button, or e-stop, should be hard wired, ie. not done thru software. It should be wired to open up the power coming into the machine. A second contact from the switch could be wired into the LPT port and setup in the software, so the software knows something went wrong.

Eric

flyrc
07-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks balsaman,

firt thing that comes to mind is to disconnect the

Ground connection to the ENAX#, ENAY# and ENAZ#

That should disable the motors, any one doing this diffrent ?
or am I on the wrong track again ,:confused:

Thanks,

kong
07-10-2003, 06:44 PM
It depends on how many poles you have on your e-stop. Personally, i would have one for the spindle, and the other to the software, as the software can stop the motors - as you can tell, I don't have an e-stop setup yet. I feel quite bad admitting to that, as it is obviously one of the most important safety devices to have.:(

balsaman
07-10-2003, 08:30 PM
On my other machine I used a estop switch to turn of all power to everything. You need to worry about the spindle, not just the axis motors.

flyrc
07-11-2003, 02:20 AM
I was thinking about that some more,

I think the easiest way to do it.. Would be just turn on the power to the motors the spindle (Dremel)

If I'm correct you are not supposed to turn off the logic (power ) to the xylotex before the motors so. (Any one implement some safety feature on to avoid this… )

For now I think I will put the motor power supply and Dremel on its own power strip. hmmm well will see I hope the Dremel does not cause too much noise,

Thanks guys,

I still have not fired up my machine but I'm sure after a mishap I would have realized the importence of some of these things.

(I manage to set up all my limit switches ran TurboCNC with out the motor and they seem to work just fine)

Tomorrow I cut my first part (I think :D )

ljoe1969
01-08-2004, 09:08 AM
I GOT THE XYLOTEX 3 AXIS DRIVER AND 116 OZ/IN MOTORS ALSO.

WHAT IS A GOOD GENERAL NUMBER TO PUT INTO TURBOCNC FOR THE SPEED/ACCELERATION?

balsaman
01-08-2004, 08:06 PM
It depends too much on your machine. I can't answer that question.

Start slow, try it, keep going up until is stalls the motors. Reduce by 20%.

Eric

ljoe1969
01-08-2004, 08:56 PM
what is slow? a ballpark figure.

balsaman
01-08-2004, 09:46 PM
I need to know your leadscrew pitch, powersupply voltage at the very least to give you a ballpark number in hz. so do the math and enter the hz to get the following:

Speed try starting at 10" per minute.

Accel I would say start at double your speed number.

Max start I would say 1/3 your speed number.

If it works, double your speed and accel and try again. keep increading by 10 IPM until it stalls. back off by 20%. Then increase the max start by 10 ipm until is stalls, back off that number by 20%.

Eric

balsaman
01-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Are these motors hooked to a machine? Or on the bench?

Eric

ljoe1969
01-08-2004, 10:36 PM
screw is acme 1/2-10. motors i got with the xylotex board. 116oz/in. not hooked to the machine yet. still waiting on my laptop i got from ebay. should be here anyday now.

power supply is gonna be 24v 8 amp. from herbach and rademan.

waiting on it to be delivered anyday also.