PDA

View Full Version : Complex part with too much deburring...ideas are nice

ChristianK
08-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Running a fairly complex (TINY!!!) part in titanium. Plus or minus .0005" demensions and alot of burrs. Main problem is using a threadwhirler with a tapering thread. Since the threadwhirler has a constant depth of cut, when it starts to taper up it leaves just enough of a burr that when i return it it rolls over and doesn't cut.

This problem has evaded me for a loooong time and there has to be a solution. Only way I can see; however, is using a turning tool to get into the thread grooves and put a chamfer on the leading edge. That or change the threadwhirling insert's geometry.

PixMan
09-02-2009, 08:13 AM
When I made titanium (6Al-4V) bone screws using a thread whirling attachment on a CNC screw machine, I would always turn the tapered nose of the screw frirst, mill any slashes needed at the nose, then thread whirl with cresting inserts. I never had any burrs, but we did polish the bone screws in a secondary operation to make them ultra-smooth.

ChristianK
09-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Can't turn them before as the parts are 2+ inches long of taper and would fall out of the guidebushing / not have enough land to make the part rigid enough to whirl. On parts I can turn them I do and it works quite well; however, this one I cannot.

hongjianming
09-03-2009, 10:55 PM
you can test this way,turning a 12.0mm length first, threadwhirling again, than deburr untill finish all length.

Geof
09-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Thermal deburring, try Googling it. Also Cryogenic deburring, tumbling, electro-deburring.