PDA

View Full Version : Machining Splines

Redline
02-28-2005, 08:37 AM
How do you machine splines in a shaft?

wjbzone
02-28-2005, 10:46 AM
I usually send OD splines out to someone with a Gear Hobbing machine. It shaves material off with a broach type cut using a cutter specific for the spline.

Some splines can be cut on a 4th axis with a tool ground to correct form.

ID splines we cut by pulling a broach tool through.
Bill

RJT
03-07-2005, 03:41 AM
Use a rotary/indexing head . In the past I have ground my own form tools out of a ****ty slotdrill etc. See a tool maker if can't grind a tool .

Konrad
03-07-2005, 10:57 PM
I find some splines are fairly easy, like the ones on power - take off on Tractor. You can machine it on your mill with indexing head, especially if you can buy the cutter, [shape of the spline], if not, some people use just a endmill, where the centre part is just straight, instead a radius.

In the apprentice ship, I had to cut hundreds of them [tractor PTO} about 30 Years ago and it was done on a automatic machine, just put in the part and push the button, and while cutting, all you had to do is deburr them.
Konrad

smallplanes
03-09-2005, 10:54 PM
I spline shafts all the time in a cnc mill with a 4th axis. The tool i use is kind of like a woodruf cutter a can't remember the name of it but it a 1" in dia and it has about 12 teeth carbide teeth there on a 45 degree angle. I start at the end of the shaft mill down come out go back to the same place a rotate the indexer and so on. The splines i mill are like the ones that go in the front ends of cars. There not that deep. As a matter of fact i have a 100 to do next week.

Thanks
smallplanes

peter@slater
03-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Also check out rotary broaching. It's internal live spindle (with a spline shaped cutting broach tool) rotates with and is driven by the workpiece. While rotating with the work spindle, the broach tool's contact and pressure points change continually, producing a shearing action which makes broached spline forms easy to produce. It does internal or external, depths vary.
To rotary broach, you'll need a holder and a broach.
more at Slater... http://www.slatertools.com/rotary_broaching.htm