PDA

View Full Version : Copper milling

eponyme-le
06-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Hi everybody, I am french also i have not a very good english.

I wonder if machines able to mill aluminium can too mill copper ??

Rekd
06-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Yes they can. Nothing magical about it either :D Just need to adjust your speeds/feeds a little.

'Rekd teh To be, or not to be, those are the parameters

CAMmando
06-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Oui quel rekd a indiqué. Pas un problème. Vous voudrez probablement le besoin de courir des vitesses inférieures cependant (25% d'aluminium).

Dave teh "oui oui = wee wee" ;)

eponyme-le
06-09-2003, 02:52 PM
lol thank you for these replies !

if I buy a "low cost" :rolleyes: mill like a sherline or a taig, i will also have the possibility to mill copper ?

Do you know some shops which send these products in france without big shippings ?

Rekd
06-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Oui, vous pourrez courir le cuivre sur une machine de basse extrémité. Je ne sais pas l'expédition à ou de la France, désolée.

'poissons de rumeur de teh de Rekd

eponyme-le
06-09-2003, 03:21 PM
oki thank you a lot !!

hardmill
06-10-2003, 02:14 AM
'Rekd
I did'nt know you could habla?:p :p

PEACE:D

Klox
06-10-2003, 02:57 AM
Hardmill,
I'm so glad Rekd teh joined me on this forum! It is nice to know that he can help the french speaking members in their own lanuage. Well done Rekd teh!!

The only language i speak fluently is NONSENSE!! (chuckle)

See you guys

Klox

Dan B
06-10-2003, 06:59 AM
FYI...

Keep in mind that some grades of copper are quite soft. For drilling, a normal twist drill will "bite" in and quite possibly break. For drilling this grade of copper, you need to grind a negative rake on your twist drill to prevent this from happening.

Just a tip from an old toolmaker...

Dan

Rekd
06-10-2003, 09:49 AM
For drilling this grade of copper, you need to grind a negative rake on your twist drill to prevent this from happening.

Just a tip from an old toolmaker...

Good point, Dan. Or rake, or what ever. :D I've had luck with 135 deg drills with copper before. Copper is one of those materials that seems easy to machine, but it often turns into a R&D project when you start dealing with that gum.

'Rekd teh Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines! :p

Dan B
06-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Hi Rekd,

The 135° you refer to is the drill tip angle (as opposed to the standard 118°). I am referring to the rake angle, which is the angle of the cutting edge. Try and picture a drill as a saw tooth if that's possible. The rake angle would correspond to the part of the tooth that digs in to the material. A negative rake would mean grinding that back so that it doesn't dig in, but scrapes the material.

Does any of that make sense?

Dan

Rekd
06-10-2003, 10:37 AM
I understood the rake angle. Was just trying to drill some humor in there. :D

I used to machine plastics a lot. You typically used 135 degree drills to keep from melting it and chipping the bottom on break-out. I carried that practice over into machining copper as well. This angle seems to help keep from gumming up the copper as well, although I doubt it's for the same reasons.

'Rekd teh " I'm sorry for the mistake....Yes, we'll put those missing holes in a bag and ship them out right away, Mr. Johnson."

Klox
06-10-2003, 10:45 AM
There is some info in the ftp section on drills, sharpening off etc...

Klox

hardmill
06-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Just hardmill's .02 worth

Je rectifie habituellement des exercices pour couper exprès des thousanths d'un couple au-dessus de taille. Ainsi il encavateur de does'nt. Tour négatif de râteau non neccesary sur un OR. Il encavateurs parce que le matériel veut se fermer vers le haut sur le diamètre de foret.

paix :D

chinese:
我通常研钻子故意以切开夫妇thousanths 在大小。如此它does'nt 劫掠。消极犁耙把戏不neccesary 在北卡罗来纳。它劫掠因为材料想关闭在钻子直径。

spanish:
Muelo generalmente los taladros para cortar adrede thousanths de un par sobre tamaño. Tan él gancho agarrador del does'nt. Truco negativo del rastrillo no neccesary en un nc. Él ganchos agarradores porque el material desea cerrarse para arriba en diámetro del taladro.

English:
I usually grind drills to purposely cut a couple thousanths over size. So it does'nt grab. Negative rake trick not neccesary on an nc. It grabs because the material wants to close up on drill diameter.

Just wanted to cover all bases
:bs:

In case your all wondering , yes i took the day off.
PEACE:D :D

eponyme-le
06-10-2003, 07:02 PM
hehe ,I better understand english than your french :d

hardmill
06-10-2003, 09:10 PM
I tried........

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

paix:D

Klox
06-11-2003, 03:07 AM
Hey Hardmill,

I ENJOY your humour tremendously !!
I did not understand a single word of french you posted but i promise i won't nuke you for that!

Keep well, see you

Klox
NS! I might consider moving your post to French "Bad Language" forum (Chuckle)