PDA

View Full Version : 6'X12' DynaTorch build log

WSS
08-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Our Dynatorch gantry showed up today! Here are a few pics. I have not had much time to go over it in depth. It is still in the crate. All arrived safely. I will post some pics of the table build progress tomorrow, They are in raw format and need to be batched to low res jpgs. The gantry is proudly made in U.S.A. It appears very well made. I cannot imagine how they can build an item like this at that price.

:)

Tommy

magma-joe
08-01-2009, 10:12 AM
WSS, Nice pics! They remind me of the day a crate just like that arrived at my place. My first thought was, its here! My 2nd was, and no freight damage! What a relief! I like the made in USA on the box, especially in this day and age.

I can see from the picture you have the new all steel gantry and y axis carriage with dual linear rails. Its amazing how much Dynatorch has improved their product since I bought mine in 2005. I was told by the Dynatorch crew when ordering my upgrade parts that this is the way they make all their gantrys now. They have not updated their website pics so your gantry picture is the first one I have actually seen. Thanks for posting, keep the pics coming.

At first when I learned that they had upgraded to all steel gantrys I wondered about the increased weight. Then I remembered these guys

http://victoryplasma.com/victorycnc/currentimages/

they use the same Dynatorch hardware / software to run their machine which has a much heavier gantry. I found them while looking for ideas on modifying my gantry. In their pictures you can see the Dynatorch Z lifter station, Dynascribe, laser locator and the Animatics smart motors, but they also added a drill station to the gantry! When I first saw them advertising on Ebay they used Torchmate controls but then switched to Dynatorch?

Now that your gantry has arrived; Let the fun begin! :D

WSS
08-02-2009, 12:43 AM
magma-joe,
Ya, the freight damage is always in the back of your mind. I do have to say it was crated nicely. I did not have time to open it when it was dropped off, but I did not see any fork holes or broken corners.

If you want to see any specific part of the gantry, let me know and I will take some pics. I had noticed that others were using animatics' smart motor servos, but I really couldn't imagine the "compactness" of those servos! They must pack a punch. The Victory gantry is a monster and those little servos are no bigger than a coffee cup.

Here are some build pics of the table,I welded in forty 4X4 gussets on the table already! I will try to keep them updated as we go along. I have three more days to work on it. I should get pretty close.

Cheers!
Tommy

magma-joe
08-02-2009, 10:48 AM
WSS, your table looks excellent. Nice work with alot of attention to detail. I like the I beam design, very strong. Those 2" thick sheets should be a breeze. I am curious to see your design for the x axis rails, especially on the slave side which drops below the surface of the slats.

Do you plan on incorporating a water table or some type of ventilation system? As for the Animatics servo motors size, they do look small however I think the gear boxes are key. They multiply the torque and increase the resolution. Once you get the gantry installed you will see that there is minimal force required to move the gantry.

I am not sure what Animatics motor and gear box combination came on your new gantry. I do know Dynatorch made some changes from the earlier machines. My servo motors turn at 6000 RPM and use 28 to 1 gear box reduction. I think the newer gantrys like yours use more powerful motors with less gear reduction and helical gear type gear boxes? During my info search I found this company that uses Dynatorch hardware / software but they incorporated some type of belt drive on their system?

http://www.fastcutcnc.com/

When you get your gantry out of the crate please take some pics of the whole thing. On the Dynatorch website in their pics it appears they might have upgraded their lifter station to a more compact design. Just curious what comes on the new gantrys now. Also what kind of Miller welder is that in your pics?

Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to seeing your progress. It helps get the wheels of inovation turning.

WSS
08-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Joe, I will leave room for one or the other. I am thinking I will use a down draft suction set-up, mostly because of the oxy/fuel. Do you think a water table would work with oxy as well? The fastcut machine was a serious consideration for us, They offered us a demo machine that was or did end up at the los angeles westec show. It was just to expensive and light for us. I am not sure if they actually made it to the show.

The welder is a Dimension 652 w/ a D-74 DX feeder. We have a bunch of the 652's hooked to S-64's & S-74's. We have had good luck with Miller feeders and power sources. This is the only portable welder in our shop, it has NR-211 3/32 innershield on one side and 70S-6 1/16 hardwire on the other (usually, it has .035 now), it is pretty neat as you just pick-up the gun you want and pull the trigger, it switches the process and settings automatically. This is the first time we have run .035 with the dimensions, I was pleased with the results, I had it set at 24.5v and about 180a and it moved along pretty good. I should have changed the liner in the gun to match the wire because it had to much play and the wire would spiral out the tip slightly.

The build is moving along OK. I finished the slat rails today. They warped over 5"! I figured 2" and some press time, so 5" was not to far out there. It took about 1.5hrs on the press to get them back were they belonged. The last pic shows the 2"sq tube that I will use for the slave side rails. Basically I will mount the rails according to DTs drawings, using there 2" tube idea. It fits perfect as the slat rails are 3" and the I-beam is 5". I will try to get it all together by wed. and maybe paint next weekend.

Tommy

magma-joe
08-04-2009, 01:05 AM
WSS, looks like you have some nice equipment to work with. I heard that the Miller Dimention welders are excellent. I have a Miller Mig and Tig machine that I really enjoy using.

As for the water table with oxy. I have no personal experience with oxy and a water table, how ever I have seen many pictures of tables with them. I do like my water table using plasma. It works excellent and keeps down the majority of smoke and dust. A properly equiped air system works very well also however it can get expensive with the fan motor, electrical wiring, duct work and filtering system if you use one. Space is also a concern.

One thing I have found very handy is the expanded metal screen I placed just under the surface of the water. It catches all the small parts and makes them easy to retreive when the fall. Something to think about if you use an air ventilation system.

I attached a pic of the 6 x 20 table with a air ventilation system on it.

WSS
08-05-2009, 03:17 AM
I am leaning toward the air system. It would fit better in our situation. Unless....The benefit from the water causing less distortion would outweigh the air system. When we cut with oxy we have to layout the cut to work with the inevitable warping. The thicker the material, the less shifting. I noticed on a job we did last week with the HP-1650 that distortion was maybe half of what oxy does! Very pleased. Plus no pre-heat and about 5 ipm faster than oxy on 3/4". I will utilize the plasma as much as we can but after 3/4" we have to use oxy. Some parts we will cut will literally fill the table and come off pretty much the same dimension minus a bunch of rectangular slots. Those pieces move! We may have to clamp them, which is why I was concerned about the flimsy slats. So, if water can slow the warping, I may work that way.

Today went well. I am ready to slip the gantry onto the rails. I want to fit check it before I paint. Murphy's law! The 12ga skins that cover the I-beam are at the powdercoater and should be ready friday. The rail set-up was different than I expected. Most of it was ready to fit-up, but the lengths were different. Not a problem since I measured before hand. Both were longer than needed fortunately.

Everyone have a great week!
Tommy

magma-joe
08-06-2009, 12:32 AM
WSS, looking good. You are moving along pretty fast. Makes me anxious to get back on the retro. Maybe one more day on my modification job and back to the Dynatorch gantry.

I was using the We-cim software today for some aluminum cutting. It sure makes it fast and easy. At the time I bought the We-cim I also purchased the Arbor Image software. It is very handy. I had to make a custom rear brake caliper bracket yesterday. I took the old bracket, traced it on a piece of paper, changed the mounting hole locations and ran it thru my desktop scanner and and then thru the Arbor Image software and instant DXF file!

WSS
08-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Managed to get a few hours today fitting the gantry to the table. I made the few adjustments recommended by Greg and it works great. The gantry is smoother than I expected. Very low COF. I hope to paint it after Church on Sunday. I will let it dry for at least a week. This will give me time to build the dual torch holder and fit the interface console to the command center. So far so good, I have managed to stick with the plan! Here are some pics of the progress.

magma-joe
08-08-2009, 12:46 PM
WSS, looks like you are almost there. I am curious to see the dual torch holder. The thought of oxy cutting has crossed my mind. I will be looking to learn from you. Thanks for posting the pics. I was curious if Dynatorch had made any changes in the attaching hardware (motor mts, guides, etc) when they upgraded to the all steel gantry. One thing I can see is that the motor mounting system is much more rigid on the steel Y axis carriage than the aluminum one I have.

Hardware wise it appears everything else is the same as the extruded aluminum gantry I currently have. In my upgrade I will have to fab some new motor mts to make the dual drop design work. Thanks for posting , keep the pics coming!

Edwardo
08-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Looking good, lots of changes compared to mine, the red peice on the inside of the aluminum, is that a guard or brace? also i would have to say from looking at this photo the air piston and servo motor is now mounted on the opposite side of the cut out compared to mine... will have a look next week when i get home...

EDD

WSS
08-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Edwardo,
The day after we purchased the DT someone called me and asked which side I wanted the machine to home to (I think it was Russell). We figured I needed a "left home" configuration. I noticed that the machine morvaman was working with is a "right home" set-up. I think that is the difference (?). The red sheet metal is a guard, it is slotted up on top for at least an inch adjustment. This section is were I have spent the most time with aligning. I ended up removing the fender washers and replacing them with a 5/8" shaft collar. The hole in the aluminum support is right on tolerance, so I thought the shaft collar would fit better and straighter. Free hand it moves like butter. I have not tried them with power yet! I am afraid to jump steps because I may never get back to the stuff I missed.

magma-joe
08-09-2009, 10:25 AM
WSS, on your oxy setup, will you use a lifter station or a torch holder that you manually raise and lower when needed? Is the plate you are cutting for earth moving equipment?

Edwardo
08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
I had a look at Morvamans table and it is the same configuration as mine, im not sure if they had asked me when i bought mine, if they did then i forget or didnt know what they meant at the time, but it is they way i need it to be.. regardless they are a great team with a superior product and service... i didnt have a clue about cnc except what i had read prior to purchasing, i could only afford to buy one once and i put all my faith in them and they havent let me down... i know i made the right choice and if in the future i ever get to the point of needing another larger table, i wouldnt even consider buying anything but a DT ... i enjoy following all you guys on your builds.

EDD

WSS
08-10-2009, 03:53 AM
Joe,
I will post some pics of the torch holder next week. I will be using two 35mm magswitches. They have a shear rating of 150lbs and a pair of mounting holes (metric). The switch or lever activates the magnet, so repositioning will be easy. I was not going to call it a "break-away" but it will do that and I also noticed a plug at the end of the DT carriage that Greg said was for the new style collision detector and is simply a NO contact. It should be easy to fit up a micro switch or some contact to shut everything down "in-case of an accident". I have been using magswitches for about a year now for grounds on our tables. They work flawlessly, you can heat them way past their rating and they never lose hold (even at 600amps). When you turn the lever the magnetic dust drops off leaving no residual to get in the way of the next ground.

Most of the stuff we work with is for earthmovers. We do some stuff for rockcrushers and drilling machines. Some new applications are these horizontal boring machines and pipe jackers. It seems to be picking up pretty steady again!

Edwardo, I am at the same point you were at when you bought your DT. It's a good thing the guys at DT know what kind of questions to ask. I had a moment when it showed up where I was sure it was backward. When I described to them what I needed it went something like this: OK, If I am standing at the short side staring at the tall side, then I want the machine to go to my right. When I opened the packing slip, it said "Left home", I was doing short laps in my mind trying to work it out, is the torch in the way, does it go off the table? On and on. Then morvaman posted the machine he was working on. Pictures are worth a thousand words. It all made sense.

I did manage to paint the table today and the powdercoated parts are ready. I will reassemble the machine next weekend. I will try to get the gas console mounted and the torch mount done before that. Then to hook up all the tubes and wires!

And.........call Leon

morvaman
08-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Tommy,your table looks great,good job. i would like to see the parts you cut on your table. oh before i forget you see that piece of metal bolted to the dropside (third pic in your last pic thread). it's dangerous i got cut twice from it. i don't see the purpose of it so i took it off. heads up.

WSS
08-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Tommy,your table looks great,good job. i would like to see the parts you cut on your table. oh before i forget you see that piece of metal bolted to the dropside (third pic in your last pic thread). it's dangerous i got cut twice from it. i don't see the purpose of it so i took it off. heads up.

morvaman,
I asked about those, I thought they were a ground for the gantry to rail connection. They are rail scrapers, used to clear debri. However DT says most guys don't use them, and you can't home the machine on one side if you use them. Thanks for the heads up! I will take them both off before I install the gantry again.

WSS

WSS
08-11-2009, 10:35 PM
The project is moving slowly at the moment. A few things have been done. Paint was the big thing. The outer skins came back from the powdercoater and look real good. They have a little less orange than the gantry but you can't see it unless they are right next to each other. Also got the basic mounting of the gas console done. Hopefully this weekend will be free to get it all back together.

WSS

magma-joe
08-12-2009, 07:49 AM
WSS, I like the new gas console. It looks well built. Thats the first picture of one I have seen. You posted 2 pics of what you referred to as the outer skins that you had powdercoated. Is that a Dynatorch decal on one? If so I want one! I think it would look good on my Gantry. ;)

WSS
08-12-2009, 03:45 PM
WSS, I like the new gas console. It looks well built. Thats the first picture of one I have seen. You posted 2 pics of what you referred to as the outer skins that you had powdercoated. Is that a Dynatorch decal on one? If so I want one! I think it would look good on my Gantry. ;)

magma-joe, The console was built from surplus parts from ebay, except the two oxygen ASCO valves. The box was luck that it matched the gantry. Most of the Hoffman enclosures are gray. The sticker is from DT, I asked for it before the gantry shipped. I think their logo looks hi-tech and current. I was going to do the theme a 1960's machine green/teal, but the DT color scheme was catchy. You'll have to harass Greg, he'll kick with one. (Sorry Greg:stickpoke).

WSS

magma-joe
08-13-2009, 08:27 AM
WSS, you had me fooled! The gas console blends right in with the Dynatorch hardware, and looks good to. I am anxious to see the completed oxy setup. I recently saw a large Koikie Plasma / Oxy machine at an auction. I took a couple of pics of the oxy torch setup. It appears it might be mounted to an air cylinder and is desgned to move to any angle for bevel cuts. Will you set your torch holder like this also?

Here's something to make you glad you bought a Dynatorch. Look at the price for just an upgrade on the lower end of the C & G / Burny machine series. And it does'nt even include a torch height control. http://www.cgsystems.com/Services/Upgrades/Aviator%20Upgrade%20Sheet.pdf

http://www.cgsystems.com/Services/Upgrades/Challenger%20Upgrade%20Sheet.pdf

WSS
08-13-2009, 09:59 PM
magma-joe,
Those C&G machines are expensive, and that is just the "retro upgrade"? I (so far) have been satisfied with the DT, no regrets. I keep wondering if I should have went with an 8' set-up. The space is tight as it is so I will have to be content. I know i have said it before but it seems like The DT is a lot for the money. I could not build one for even half that (and I am cheap).

The gas console I will use is actually about a year old. We have used it quite a bit with our mag shape cutter and track cutter. The DT interface console has the right outputs to control it on the back. the gas console has three ASCO redhat valves, two are switched at the same time (preheat oxy and fuel) and the last is turned on after preheat is done (cut oxy). For beveling we will use a Victor BHA-2 adapter on one torch.

All of the parts including the two new torches and one new BHA-2 and 100' of grade R twin hose was less than 1K. I played vulture on ebay. It took awhile to assemble but found some unreal deals.

pics are from my phone cam, bad quality.

WSS

magma-joe
08-15-2009, 09:30 AM
WSS, The 8' table would be nice until you have to move it, LOL. Since I built my 5 x 10 table I have realized that a 12 ' length would have been much better. Once I got the machine up and running, I discovered a whole array of things I could do with it and several of those things require a 12' length.

That angle adjustable torch tip is pretty cool. I did'nt realize they made them. I am curious, if a person were to buy all new parts to equip their machine with an oxy set up what is a (ball park) price? Are your gas pressure regulators located in the console? Do you need 2 or 3 solenoids? Thanks for the info and pics. By the way, your camera phone takes pretty good pics.

WSS
08-15-2009, 03:22 PM
magma-joe,
I believe it would cost 2k to 2.5k. If you bought it all from your local welding supply. You need two oxy regs and one fuel reg too. I have quick connects and flashback protection on all the parts as well. All of that pushes the cost up to the sky! Where the regs are concerned, There is a seller on ebay who has both the fuel and oxy regs for $69 each. If you are running two torches, you need a little higher flow from the cut reg. like a SA-700 series from Victor. The solenoids are about $85 each and you do need three. Two have to be for "oxygen service" I bought the two oxy solenoids from caltrol, they had them in stock in Vegas, I had them next day. The best torch (IMHO) is the MT-310-A three hose from victor. The two torches I will use are MT-618-NV & MT-610-NV. The difference is that the NV's will only do LP gas. If I had to do acetylene with them I would have to change the mixer to a acetylene mixer (or borrow one from my spare 310-A). Strangley, the torches with the "A" at the end (acetylene) will do both acetylene and propane (some other gases as well). The "10" in the 310 is the barrel length, it is about the same as the HP plasma torches.

I hope that helps. I will post some pics of the inside of the gas console later tonight.

millman52 does a lot of oxy cutting. Check out his posts. He has some good pics and info. His set-up is pretty nice.

Well back to work on the table!

WSS

WSS
08-15-2009, 05:56 PM
I should add why I am using the MT600 series torches. They are both new and cost me $60 each on ebay, retail on them is 500 and 600 bucks! The bevel heads, I got three of them on ebay for $200 and sold two of them back on ebay for what I paid for three. They were in the wrong category. All three were new. I do a certain keyword searches and save them, ebay emails me when anything new shows up.

Here is the link to the Victor regs on ebay. For anyone interested. You have to buy it when you see it or contact the seller and ask to have listed what you are looking for. These are the big regs and can handle a one torch easily (maybe two).

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTOR-Acetylene-Pressure-Regulator-NEW_W0QQitemZ260462338017QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca4c3dfe1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14#ht_2129wt_1167

I am running hose and cable through the cable carriers. Not much room left after the torch hose.

WSS

magma-joe
08-16-2009, 10:06 AM
WSS, thanks for the info. I did'nt realize the cost to expand to oxy was that high. I can see why you shop Ebay to piece your system together. The Dynascribe attachment I'm installing on my gantry upgrade will use the 2 available terminal outputs on the back of the Dynatorch control box.

If I were to go the oxy route also, I think I would have to add the port expander to have enough outputs to control all the soleniods. For me it would add a little more to the cost. Something to think about. How soon before you make your first cuts?

http://www.dynatorch.com/PortExpander.htm

WSS
08-16-2009, 09:59 PM
magma-joe,
The port expander will be important when you need it for the drill head control (lol)! I am hoping to start cutting in about 2 weeks. I have to return to my usual duties this week. I have a bunch of wiring and harness making to do and get the command center set-up. I will use the P-3 plug in the back of the DT console to use as a E-stop mounted on the monitor door. So I will go slow and do a couple of things in the evening when I can.

Here are some pics of the weekend progress!

Edit: I added two more pics, the "command center" and one of the DT assembled. My wife will be happy to see the command center move to it's home!

WSS

magma-joe
08-17-2009, 07:45 AM
WSS, looking good! Is that some type of dual quick release torch holder you fabricated? Your finished table looks great with the Dynatorch decal. Nice cabinet to. Where did you get it? That gas console looks like a tight fit.

morvaman
08-17-2009, 04:26 PM
WOW THAT TABLE IS THE BOMB LIKE TIC TIC! I have the same cabinet, I took out the draw and mounted the interface box (some fabrication required) and placed the keybord and mouse up top. here r some pics of my friends and my setup. I'm loving your table wss.

plain ol Bill
08-17-2009, 06:56 PM
I have the same cabinet too and it is great! There is a place for everything and it really helps keep things clean and orderly. Found it at http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/prod/30114712/i/1/productInfo.web?a=30114712&c=239115BK
If you get one of these you will love it.

WSS
08-17-2009, 11:56 PM
plain ol bill, thats the one! I remember discussing this with you awhile back, did you get your rebate? I took the family out to dinner with mine, it came pretty fast.

It is pretty durable and a fair price. I will probably get a fan for it and filter it somehow.

morvaman, thanks! I hope it doesn't timeout to soon! I am not a good sapper. I fashioned a bracket inside above the sliding shelf to mount the DT console and ran a switch from the P3 plug to a E-stop button I mounted in the monitor window frame.

magma-joe, yes the console is tight. Another inch all the way around would have helped, as you can see i had to unhook a bunch of stuff just to swap out the power connections. The torch holder uses "switchable" magnets to hold the torches. I can pull the gantry in both X and Y with the tip of the torch, so they may hold more than I want. At speed it may break a torch. I could paint it or do something to lessen the grip but I will try it first. I did find that the 16" torch may be to long (darn it!), I can feel some vibration in it, again i will have to try it to see, If it gives me any trouble I will put a MT310A in its spot.

I have found myself rushing to get it up and running, as I have a job cutting some holes in 3/4" plate for it on monday.

WSS

plain ol Bill
08-18-2009, 05:22 PM
WSS yes I got my rebate too. Never had a debit card rebate but whatever spends! I can't say enough about this cabinet. It sure took a lot of the clutter out of my operation. I found a plastic space saving cabinet w/ (I think six) drawers in it that just fit in the bottom of the cabinet right next to the tower CPU. The drawers hold misc. paperwork (manuals, emails about plasma etc.) my consumables, tools, pencils. Really a great organizer (and Lord knows I need organization).

WSS
08-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Well, Our machine should be running today but we ran into a bit of a snag. On Saturday Leon returned my call to do the initializing of the machine (This guy really does work seven days a week). After a few tests (grounding test and serial adapter configuring). We found the master servo motor was not working! No lights were present. This was the first time this had happened according to Leon (I am forging the way). Leon said to contact DT on Monday And I would have one on Tuesday. This is sort of true. In order for them to send me the motor I had to pay a "warranty deposit". I never asked what the amount was as I was not willing to pay any more (the 20 grand they have from me should be enough to cover it). After a return call from Leon I figured why they need a warranty deposit. It seems guys would hang onto their motor cores for quite awhile, they even limit the amount of warranty motors a guy can have (there have been others? I thought I was the first). And they do not pay for next day anymore, It seems that more than their pictures are out of date on their web site.

It is a good looking machine though! Hopefully it will all work out. I did have two jobs lined out for it. One I will do on our trusty magnetic shape cutter (I will have to "unharness" the plasma torch from the cable carriers and support harness I made). The second job will make the company we were using for shape cutting happy to get another order from us.

The motor was easy to remove, I had to get a set of metric allen wrenches and remove a plug on the side of the housing that couples the gearbox to the servo and loosen a shaft collar inside. Once it was apart I was amazed at the precision parts it was made of. I can see the mechanical part of it wearing well.

I lost a bit of steam on it today, but I am sure it will all come together. I expected some action when I called them today but they run by their policies, not mine and that is understandable. They have obviously grown quite a bit in the recent years and they have to implement policies like any other big company. I do think I will pass on the training as I would be really upset to pay for travel and accommodations to find myself in the same situation as I am in now. I have spent enough of my company's money, I will have to put the brakes on for awhile, whether the machine works or not.

It's Monday and I better get onto some income generating work!
Cheers
WSS

magma-joe
08-25-2009, 08:28 AM
WSS, sorry to hear of your issue. Sounds like Dynatorch wants to be sure they have a motor to send back to their supplier so they get compensated for the bad one.

Will the new motor arrive today?

Edwardo
08-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I just read the warrenty section on DT web site, they give the reason for the deposit on the replacement motor, i guess it makes sense as it could add up to alot of money for them, but that being said i wonder why they didnt catch onto the malfunctioning motor when they test run the unit before shipping?

EDD

WSS
08-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Hey guys!

I will not get a motor today (darn it!). I really wish they would have caught the bad motor during the four hour test. I have stepped back from handling this situation, my wife will take over from here. It appears they have some arrangement that will work. I will post an update when I have a motor. More importantly, it feels like it is picking up again work wise. I actually don't have the time to fix the table! It feels good.

Cheers!
WSS

WSS
08-25-2009, 03:59 PM
I just read the warrenty section on DT web site, they give the reason for the deposit on the replacement motor, i guess it makes sense as it could add up to alot of money for them, but that being said i wonder why they didnt catch onto the malfunctioning motor when they test run the unit before shipping?

EDD

Edwardo,
It just dawned on me that you read the warranty section on their website. I looked hard for it over the weekend. Could you pm me the link?

Thanks!
WSS

Edwardo
08-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Good morning Tommy

Any news on your motor ?
This is the link for the warrenty, its on the front page at the bottom with the other links, have a good day and all the best..
EDD

http://dynatorch.com/Warranty.htm

WSS
08-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Good news! A new motor was handed to me by the our UPS driver! And there was an email authorization from DT to do the repairs on my desk when I got in this afternoon. I am waiting for a few policy details from DT before I will proceed with the installation.

Edwardo, Thanks for the link. I had been there over the weekend. I was thinking it was the newer version. The warranty version that shipped with the gantry is very different than the one on the link you posted for me.

I doubt my company will let me purchase soapstone now without scrutiny. I feel like a heel. I missed quite a bit. But I have to say that Greg is working closely with us now. DT could have voided our entire warranty due to my missing the fine print. I had received verbal authorization to do the many alterations we did to meet our needs, But I did not get prior written authorization. Greg has covered us by sending us the written approval. They are not going to count this motor towards the two they would authorize per their current warranty policy. So it looks like it will work out nicely.

EDIT: I should add that I was told Greg paid for next day to us himself!

I did have a chance to put together a HP cut chart for mild steel and expose/develop it onto a aluminum label. I did it when I did the E-stop label, as it's just as easy to do many sheets as it is to do one with the set-up. i had hoped to have the HP chart on black but it wouldn't develop correctly so I ended with red which looks pretty good. I will get some of the letter size magnetic photo paper and stick it to so I can move it around on the command center.

Cheers!
WSS

magma-joe
08-26-2009, 09:28 PM
WSS, glad to hear things are looking up. Will you be installing the motor tomorrow? How did you make those charts? I want one!

WSS
08-26-2009, 10:09 PM
magma-joe,
I hope to get it up and running sometime tomorrow. The charts were made with a UV exposure kit I use for making metal marking stencils. It is a "extra" included with the metal marking kit. I used to make quite a few knives and would make custom stencils for each one. The company sent a sample aluminum plate to play with and I was hooked. It is pretty straight forward as you can do your art work and print it on a transparency sheet (Staples by the box) and put it over the aluminum sheet and expose it under the UV light and then rinse it in warm water and it exposes the detail. It also marks most metals really well with the chem-etch kit. it puts either a .006" deep mark or a dark black oxide mark, or both if you switch between ac and dc while your marking. You can get 50 marks from the stencil if you treat it good and clean between each mark. here is a link:

http://www.martronics-corporation.com/sign.htm

http://www.martronics-corporation.com/eom.htm

I know it seems like a "as seen on TV" kind of sales gimmick but it works. They also sell different kinds of adhesive covers for the signs. I like the polycarbonate covers as they add a nice frosty look to them and withstand gloved hands really well.

Another trick that is not as durable but more colorful is to mirror print your image on a transparency sheet and then run it though a Zyron sticker machine. They can be had at craft stores like micheals or joannes. The image is then trapped between the shiny transparency and the adhesive. The drawback is it is not very UV resistant. I am not sure about plasma but a welder will fade it in a month or so. If it is not exposed to light it will do well. And you can print in full color.

Do you have a 1650? I will post the chart as a jpg. It has been chopped and spliced to show the info that I will need, including the assembly. I still need help when re assembling the torch.

magma-joe
08-27-2009, 09:01 AM
WSS,
I am sure you are ready to see the sparks fly! I am anxious to hear how it all works out.
Thanks for the info and link. I am very interested. Is the chem etch what you normally see on the blades of most knives these days?

I have the 1250 hypertherm so I need a different chart than the 1650. Since I do alot of thin material I also want to make a chart for finecut consummables.

I know you have already checked the ground for your table and Dynatorch has their own method for doing so in their manual but there is something I wanted to pass along to everyone that happened to me.

In the Dynatorch manual they state that you should consider drilling a hole in the floor near the machine and drive in a ground rod so as to get a good ground for the machine. I did just that when I installed my table however after conducting their ground test on the new 5' deep ground rod it failed terribly. My first thought was how could this be? Perhaps I must have made some kind of mistake in the test. I checked 2 more times, same result?

After consulting with my electrician he informed me that the moisture in the earth has alot to do with with how good of a ground you get. He recommended that I run some water down around the rod to help it. My building was built in 1982 so after 27 years the soil beneath must have been plenty dry. I was'nt to keen on this as it would have required drilling another hole and the water would have had to seep at least overnight.

I ended up buying a roll of 1/4" diameter copper grounding rod and running it to the existing ground rod for my buildings electrical box. It then passed the ground test with zero problems. It made me realize that a ground can change over time and just because you have a 5' ground rod driven in the soil does not mean you have a good ground and it should be checked periodicly. It is cheap insurance against pontential electronic damage.

tof1
08-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Joe, can you explain how to check a ground rod?

Thank you

magma-joe
08-27-2009, 11:08 AM
tof1, Go to the Dynatorch website and download their manual. In the last few pages it shows how to test the ground.

When are you going to post a pic of your table???

WSS
08-27-2009, 11:11 AM
magma-joe,
I spent 8+ hours on grounding. I had to drill two holes that were 12" deep and still didn't pass through the concrete. In the end I ended up outside the building (three feet from the table, 1 foot from the intended ground site). I used a copper clad 8 footer and it went OK from there. I used #4 solid to pass through the wall and installed a junction box and tied everything inside the box. I used #6 stranded from the table and 3ph ground strap and #12 for the 110 to the console. I could not find a 100w bulb anywhere around the shop. I had to use a 60w bulb and scale it (Leon did the math for me). It called for .75v but Leon wanted to see .5v, we had .2683v w/a 60w bulb which factored to under .5v. I still think I will add another rod and tie them together. Our local Lowes was out of them last time I looked so I will try Home Depot.

A question regarding a potential problem: I used the cable carrier to carry the plasma torch cable as well and tried to loop it as gently as I could. The transition from X to Y carriers run really close to the master motor (within an inch), should I make a bracket or some way to get it away from the motor before i put power to either the motor or plasma? I noticed that none of the cables in the harness are shielded, I am hoping there is not a noise issue here.

Thanks!
WSS

tof1, ya, post some pics when you get a chance.

tof1
08-27-2009, 03:32 PM
WSS, I have my plasma cable in a cable chain with everything else and it's fine. It also runs right next to the Z motor. Took off early today, I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

magma-joe
08-27-2009, 03:48 PM
WSS, I have never had a problem with mine. I included a pic. When I install the new gantry I am going to reverse the direction the Igus chain comes from as it will allow a much easier transition fron the X to Y. If you open this link go down the page to technical info and open up the solid model of the Dynatorch dropside dual drive, select run on the menu and you can see the layout of the Igus chain from the other direction. You can also pan, tilt, and zoom in with the tools.

http://www.dynatorch.com/Map.htm

WSS
08-27-2009, 09:12 PM
magma-joe,
Thanks for the pic! Mine is almost exact, yours actually has a gentler bend. I will pull mine out a little to go around the motor like yours. Mine sits right on top of the motor now.

tof1, That is good news, I was wondering how the noise would affect it. It sound s like it is going to work fine. I have heard that servos have a tougher time with noise than steppers. It seems that both the plasma and CNC technology has melded together well.

Edwardo
08-28-2009, 03:30 PM
WSS

I sent you a pm this morning but im not sure if it went through? is your inbox full?

EDD

WSS
08-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Edwardo, I didn't get it. I checked and the box is empty. I am not too good at the PM thing, I can never find what I sent or accidentally deleting messages and such. Try it again when you can.

I did a bunch of cutting today with the HP and it worked good. I am trying to get together some 80amp parts to see if I can get some cleaner holes. The holes have quite a taper but are sharp on both sides with little dross, a putty knife knocks it off easily. The holes were oversized and slotted slightly for 1/2" bolts in 1/2" ar500. It pierced fast and did the loop with a slight over run to clean up the lead-in. All was good except the taper, the taper was not as much on the outside cuts. Any Ideas?

Cheers,
WSS

magma-joe
08-28-2009, 11:16 PM
WSS, are you cutting clockwise or counterclockwise? It does have an effect on cut quality.

WSS
08-29-2009, 12:20 AM
WSS, are you cutting clockwise or counterclockwise? It does have an effect on cut quality.

magma-joe,
I cut CCW for the inside and CW on outside. strange but I did not reverse the direction of the motor, when the mag pin was tracing inside it was moving CCW, same motor direction and tracing the outside was CW. I like to "measure twice, cut once" so I made sure (obsessively) the tip was traveling what I thought was correct. I may have it completely backwards though. Is it CW for inside cuts?

I downloaded the manual for the 1250. I can now cut and splice a cut chart for the 1250 users here. Would one covering just mild steel (incl fine cut/unshielded as well) be enough or does alum and SS need to included?

Everyone have a wonderful weekend.
WSS

magma-joe
08-30-2009, 07:45 AM
WSS, ccw is correct. Here is some food for thought on how to get the best plasma cuts. Holes less than 1 1/2 times material thickness are always more challenging.

http://www.centricut.com/TA_CuttingSmallHoles.htm

http://www.centricut.com/Training_Articles.htm

http://www.centricut.com/Articles/Centricut_Training_Articles.pdf

For my applications, including the aluminum in the 1250 chart would be great! Thanks!

WSS
08-30-2009, 07:37 PM
magma-joe,

Those are great links! I have bookmarked the html sites and downloaded the pdf's. There is a lot to learn. I will spend some time just wandering around the centricut site. I need to sign up to get the DVD, it looks packed full of info.

Thanks again!
WSS

plain ol Bill
08-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Magma-joe I'll repeat WSS for the links. They are great and Lord knows I need to learn as much as an old dog can. I thought I was the only knifemaker hanging out around here but it looks like WSS is one also.:wave:

Edwardo
09-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Starting off easy with some clip art i modified, i have the same 1/8th sheet on my table from 3 months ago, so i want to burn it up before putting a new one on...

EDD

WSS
09-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Thats some detail! The rope is impressive. It held it's shape nicely. I like the font, especially the round ends. That is tricky. Did you do that today? What kind of finish work did you do?

I have an update on our gantry (yeah!), Dt will ship me a new harness on Tues. They ran a program on my harness and motors called waltz warm-up which takes 50min to run through and ours ran through 13 times with no glitches. That is the way it goes! If they sent it back to me it would have crashed on start up. I did not send Murphy with the rest of the items, he stayed here in my shop and did some other damage around the shop, like a danaher encoder he trashed and a screw jack that ate a acme thread. Anyway, DT kindly suggested that we install a new harness. This way we have eliminated the problem entirely. So it looks like next week I should be able to test it.

Edwardo
09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
WSS

Thats good news to hear Tommy...

I have been slowly getting back into the groove with mine, i cut thoughs 2 peices this morning then played around with gussets all afternoon, i made up a bunch of files so if i have a part sheet again i can quickly lay out a pattern and cut it out, they all work good with no lead in and 1 peirce for each file, i still havent cut a entire sheet up but it think it will work fine if i ever need it. On the new smaller files i made the grid 4.124 and 6.125 and the gussets come out bang on 4" and 6"... So i got that sheet thats been on my table for almost 3 months cut up and gone, tommorow im cutting aluminium.
It is amazing the detail you can get with the fine cut consumables, i havent finished thoughs 2 peices i cut this morning, im going to try and sell as much as possible just bare metal, eventually i want to build my own powder coating set up... i took some pics i'll try and post tommorow

EDD

magma-joe
09-06-2009, 10:31 PM
WSS, Glad to hear about the harness. You should be up and running soon! Murphy can show up at the worst times (LOL)

WSS
09-08-2009, 07:33 PM
A few clips from our Research and Development team running our DT through it's paces.............LOL

WSS

Edwardo
09-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Nice video Tommy, enjoy your kids because they grow up way to fast....

Anyways i cut up another sheet and made a few more things for the web site, made a couple vids also but hey didnt turn out that well, between camera batteries and forgetting to turn on the compressor etc... for me cnc plasma isnt like riding a bike, takes me awhile to get back into it after about 3 months sitting idle, but its coming now... i decided to just make gussets out of scrap areas instead of burning a entire sheet up, it doesnt take long to accumulate a pile while using up little areas in between other larger parts, what i am doing is once the main peices are cut out, i bring up the dxf and insert the gussets where ever i can and then delete the peices already cut, then run the file through sheetcam again with just the gussets, so far its worked well....
Just threw my first sheet of alum on the table and now trying to decide what to cut, Joe you have cut alot of alum, what settings do you recommend for 1/8th using fine cut?

EDD

Edwardo
09-08-2009, 09:44 PM
A few things i have been doing to occupy my time
EDD

YouTube - Cutting gussets

Edwardo
09-08-2009, 09:49 PM
First new sheet on the table in almost 3 months .... lol

EDD

YouTube - dynatorch

magma-joe
09-09-2009, 12:09 AM
WSS, I could'nt get your video to play?
When will the harness arrive?

Edwardo, Nice videos. What IPM and amperage are you cutting the art with?

Your question about 1/8" aluminum; use 40 amp fine cut @ 150ipm and 84 arc volts.

WSS
09-09-2009, 12:47 AM
magma-joe,
I was wondering if everyone could view it. I need to get Edwardo to explain how he does the you-tube thing. I probably need to sign up w/you-tube and link them to the thread. The harness should have shipped today. I should see it friday. Probably install it over the weekend and give it a try on Monday!

Edwardo,
So you do all your drawings in Coreldraw? That is very intricate work. Were you using Corel before you started with CNC? Do you at any point import/export to a cad program? I like the way your machine moves. It is very direct and fluid. I hope mine moves half as smooth! I saw you flip out the tip-up, You seemed to have known were to look and when to snag it. Do you figure that in the drawing as well?

I can see there is way more to learn here. I am seriously looking forward to it.

WSS

PS: I have a thread started for the HP 1250 cut charts. I am hoping to compile some helpful tips like standoff height and such. Any input will be helpul. I will post them as jpg's and pdf's when we finalize a draft on that thread.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89219

WSS
09-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Edwardo,
I watched the first vid again. That plate did not warp at all (visually). You went right to the edge as well (how did you align it right on?). If that had been oxy on any thickness it would have shifted the plate out of bounds and the torch would have been cutting off the edge. It looked like the remnant held it's shape very well. Is that typical of the plasma cutting you do? I notice the roundness of the artwork as well, they show no signs of warping. I know with art, you can hide a lot in the end, but round is still round and the same for square. I was thinking about tack welding plate to the slats, maybe it won't be required. Which brings up another thing I gotta do, make a center support for off-setting the slats.

No hick-ups on start-up? Love it when it happens like that! I like to watch CNC machines work. It reminds me of when I saw Star Wars for the first time, I think it was in 1978.

WSS

Edwardo
09-09-2009, 01:32 PM
WSS
i seriously doubt you need to tack the plate down, i wouldnt... if in time you see a need to stabilize it someway then i would worry about it then.
Joe im cutting 1/8 @ 79 arc volts, 120 ipm, 38 amps with fine cut.. dry with no water.
Last few days i have been cutting art from a disc, they come as a bitmap and i convert them to vector in corel, usually i have to disect the drawing as the rings arent as round as i want them, so i make new rings and replace the originals, and add any text i want.. i didnt have a clue about corel or sheetcam or anything cnc up until i bought my DT, i could email and do simple things in excel but that was it.
It took me a long time to figure things out, i spent weeks trying to figure out converting a bitmap to vector, in the end its a simple few clicks of the mouse, same with sheetcam, weeks trying to figure it out and in the end i was only using the demo version!!! i had'nt loaded the licence DT sent me..lol
Although slow and frustrating, i have to figure things out learn it my way as then it seems to sink in, corel is great, there are things i will never use and once thats sorted out and i have the basic tools i need then it gets easier, im still finding and trying different tools, mostly short cuts and such, it seems easy now but in the begining it was a real serenity tester....
Cutting up to the edge of the sheet... i do all my nesting in corel also, hot rolled sheets are 48.25x96.25 so i create a work area in corel 47.8x95.8, this leaves me a safe zone around the outter edge of the sheet, then i place all my drawings in this work area knowing it is smaller than the actual sheet. Once i have nested everything i delete the working area line i created and that just leaves my drawings that i want to cut, export it as a dxf then into sheetcam, if there is any problems with the drawing then sheetcam will pick it up right away and i can go back into the file and correct it. Use the DT post processor in sheetcam and it saves the file as .tap which the DT program can read and load up for cutting and its ready to go...
Tip ups can happen anywhere at anytime, especially these little odd ball shapes that can pivot in between slats, i have my welding glasses on and watch it like a hawk when cutting, cutting doest always go as planned but its nice when it does, i have crashed my torch and run off the steel, it happens and is part of the learning curve for me...
For cutting the gussets out of the left over areas, once the main peices are cut and removed from the table, i bring up the original dxf file i used showing the art work, i then lay out the gussets in between the peices already cut, once i have filled in all i can i then delete the art work drawing and am left with only the gusset drawings, then export it the same way and through sheetcam again, i could cut everything in one shot, art and gussets, but sometimes i cut right to the edge of other peices and i wouldnt want to wreck a 2x2 peice of art over a 6" gusset, its just safer this way...
In DT and sheetcam you set up your table parameters, my working area is set at 50" x 100" this gives me 2" play on the width and 4" on the length, then in sheetcam i set the material size at 48x96, then my sheet size in corel just a hair under that, it just gives me a little room to move the drawing around when cutting a full sheet in one shot, its frustrating to lay everything out then have the DT program say some lines are outside the cutting area, the way im doing it, it eliminates that... but this is just my way of doing it and it works for me.
As for posting vids, once they are on youtube look in the upper right hand corner you will see a window with URL and Embed below it, left click the URL then right click, copy then paste to your post in cnczone, it wont show as a vid until you preview or post it, but it works...

EDD

WSS
09-11-2009, 03:57 AM
Edwardo,
I agree after looking at the pic of the gussets sitting un-warped in the web/rem, that hold down tacks or clamps won't be necessary with plasma, I am not sure yet with oxy. It may be that the water table will be enough (on my to do list).

That is some focus and determination to jump right in as you did. Your workflow has a good flow to it, that is what is important. The ability to shuffle and back step or make corrections is paramount to the success of the finished part. It can be as simple as using up your remnants as you did with the gussets (we-cim does something similar). The nesting that you do with Corel is pretty handy. I got lost trying to follow you when you move from Corel to Sheetcam.....Can Corel export a dxf? The raster to vector thing is hard to get ones head around. Once you get it though, the flow moves better. A few years back I was getting pressure from other photographers to shoot in RAW format instead of jpg or tiff (with a camera). Once I could see the advantages it made sense and moved way faster than processing jpgs. Now I can shuffle thousands of files in a couple of hours instead of days. Workflow! The downside is when you take off three months to go and do other things like earn a living. Now we have to retrain you! LOL. Funny story about the demo sheetcam! I got a new mouse for my computer that had way to many buttons that i did not know existed, my old one had one button (basic click). It took me a month to figure out why weird menus were popping up and apps just up and quitting! I still don't like what apple calls "mighty mouse". I switched back to my old one button mouse and have two other old ones hoarded for stormy weather.

You mentioned you cut some stuff for your website, what's the address? I checked out your thread for cutting vids, very cool idea. I hope to add a few soon. I just got a good size job in today for 1/2" plate that is due late this month, I should have enough time to practice and get some real parts done by then! WML......

I pounded another ground rod near our DT for good measure yesterday. My father in-law (retired electrician) also recommended that I install a sub panel (110v/220v single phase) next to the table with it's own ground as well for extra measure. So this weekend I will head to Home Depot and rent yet another trencher to make way for the 4 #10awg wires I need to get out the the building. Lots of fun.

WSS

magma-joe
09-16-2009, 05:14 PM
WSS, whats up with the harness install?

WSS
09-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Funny you should ask! I just got off the the phone with Leon and we toasted another drive board on the slave this time. He is perplexed and so am I. They ran the guts out of it at there facility with no glitches, it gets here and fries on start up. I don't think it is a usual occurrence for DT or someone would have said something on the Zone by now. They are doing all they can, so I am not going to bash em'. It is just one of those things. They are going to next day me a drive board and a add-a-motor harness, It may be that I received my old one back on accident, we couldn't really tell if it was the original or not. Leon is sharp and knows what he's talking about, so I am going to trust his judgment here. I don't have a clue what's up. I can work on 110vac, 90vdc and mechanical issues but when the cable has more than two wires I am useless.

WSS

Edwardo
09-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi Tommy

Any progress on your table? i sent you a email to the address you pm'd me also.

EDD

WSS
11-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Good news! I should be cutting this week. I should add at this point what has taken place.

DT has sent me an entirely new gantry. DT felt the trouble I was having was worth the effort to get me a new gantry. I was happy to do this as the problem went beyond the norm and they handled it wonderfully. DT emailed me a you-tube link of our gantry cutting before they sent it and sent the part along with the gantry. YouTube - Wear surface test cut

I have forgot to take some pics of the part but did measure the part and I am impressed. It is a 8"/4" donut and the inside is within .050" and the thickness is within a few thousandths. I'll post some actual pics later.

I spent Friday and saturday running wires and cabling details along with a few brackets and small details on the gantry. I also installed two fans on my command center. I retro-fitted them to take a merv-9 filter to keep the dust out via positive pressure. I used a die grinder with a cut-off wheel to remove the grill for more flow. It works good.

I took some video of it jogging around the table but could not figure out how to set-up a you-tube account. I'll work on that when I have more time.

WSS
11-01-2009, 01:36 AM
A few more photos. Notice the harness laying on the ground in the previous post, In person it looked worse, untamable! But it all went as it should in the end. I used the spiral loom to cover the part of the harness that will be subject to abrasion (dragging, rolling around and hot stuff). It went on much easier this time. It took about 20 minutes compared to 4 hours the last time. I pre-wrapped the loom so it would "un-wind" as I rolled onto the cabling. There are four extra wires running through it than on a usual DT harness. I added a 2c cable for the toggle laser locater, a 4c cable to control the oxy/fuel and two other cables to the plasma gen (it was on the other side of the table anyway). The loom will keep them all in place and safe.

Anyone, feel free to ask any questions or if you want to to see a specific piece or picture, just ask. I have enjoyed the many threads here and am more than happy to return the favor.

WSS

magma-joe
11-01-2009, 09:28 AM
WSS, Thats some first class work setting up your machine. Glad to hear your Dynatorch is nearly ready to start paying for itself. It is costly in time as well as money when you start out.

Did you get the updated slave side V roller design on the replacement gantry? Did you also get the joy stick control? It works great for shearing and controling the machine for precise positioning on a part.

I found it heplful when I first got my machine to cut one part of a certain thickness over and over while tweaking the adjustments and watching the cut quality each time. If you use the joy stick you can watch the torch up close each time you make an adjustment. The joy stick also makes it easy to stop the machine if something goes wrong.

Thanks for the pics you sent me in the PM. Looking forward to seeing your first parts!

WSS
11-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Two good things:

1) Our DT cut today, and worked great!

2) I set-up a youtube thingy finally.

Here is one of the vids before Leon got me homed and cutting. The noise from the THC went away with some adjustments in the tuning page. I'll post some more videos as I can. It cut clean. No wobble or chatter and I even tested the oxy side. Now to learn the software!

YouTube - Running DT gantry around table

WSS

WSS
11-02-2009, 12:43 PM
magma-joe,

I did not get the v-rail slave addition. I kept the original rails during the switch. Less shipping and re-do time. I did get the joystick controller. I have not used it yet but did set it up in the machine set-up page. I had to surface the back of the torch mounts I made with a 50 grit belt because the THC touched harder than the smooth surface would hold. I tested it this morning and it worked great. I won't have a chance to play with the machine until Tuesday. Looks like a bunch of fun!!!!

WSS

magma-joe
11-03-2009, 08:48 AM
WSS, in the machine settings on the torch tab you can adjust the down force applied when the torch touches off the material. The less force the better especially when you are touching off thin material that wants to flex and spring back giving you a false material height for the initial pierce height.

Have fun!

WSS
11-05-2009, 04:24 AM
WSS, in the machine settings on the torch tab you can adjust the down force applied when the torch touches off the material. The less force the better especially when you are touching off thin material that wants to flex and spring back giving you a false material height for the initial pierce height.

Have fun!

magma-joe,
I did lower the down force pressure and it pretty much fixed it. I still have "slat wobble". I have a 1350lb sheet of 1" on the table now and can wiggle it with one hand way to easy, not inches if course but maybe a 1/4". I think I will have to put a bow in them. Anyway they wont be there long. I will be starting on the water table shortly. It will be a must! I cut with the oxy set-up today and was pleased. I ended up doing a nest in we-cim of one part, just one. I could not figure out how to line it up on the table. I got messages like "beyond extents of table" and another like it inside the DT software.

I did manage to video it while it was cutting. This puppy cuts nice. I have better cut quality right now with the oxy. I am sure that will change once I get a feel for the plasma.

WSS

YouTube- DT cutting

magma-joe
11-05-2009, 09:15 AM
WSS, normally when I encounter the "beyond table extents message" the X Y zero location is to close to the edge of the table to cut the dimentions of the part file you have loaded.

Say you have a 3' by 3' part you want to cut and your X Y zero starting point is 2' from the travel limits of the gantry you will get this messege.

Back up the gantry toward the center of the table move the Y carriage to a point where there is enough travel to cut the dimentions of your part and then press zero X Y. When you finish cutting your torch will automatically return to the X Y zero location.

WSS
11-05-2009, 08:43 PM
WSS, normally when I encounter the "beyond table extents message" the X Y zero location is to close to the edge of the table to cut the dimentions of the part file you have loaded.

Say you have a 3' by 3' part you want to cut and your X Y zero starting point is 2' from the travel limits of the gantry you will get this messege.

Back up the gantry toward the center of the table move the Y carriage to a point where there is enough travel to cut the dimentions of your part and then press zero X Y. When you finish cutting your torch will automatically return to the X Y zero location.

That was the fixer! Bingo, all fit. I did a little study in the manual about the different buttons along the bottom of the screen (when all else fails, read the manual?). Thanks!

The gantry did some nice cutting today. Here are a few pics.

WSS

magma-joe
11-05-2009, 11:20 PM
WSS, Nice oxy cuts! Is the part with the hole in it plasma cut? It looks like you are well on your way!

WSS
11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Well, I have completed our first parts off the DT machine. I am pleased with the results for many reasons. First, If I had to buy them, I would have to purchase 100pcs. Three years ago that was fine. But now our customers are ordering fewer parts more often. Now I can cut five pieces or whatever is required. Second, I like the quality. I can control what goes to the next stage, be it drilling or applying Tungsten Carbide. Our last supplier would let the parts fall through the slats and keep cutting, which left many parts drenched in slag (dross is too pretty a word). I have a lot to learn in the we-cim software.

The motion of the machine surprised me. I had no idea what to expect as I have only cut with cantilever and mag tracer machines. In reading a presentation that Jim Colt sent me before cutting with the DT, I could not grasp what he meant by acceleration and terms like that. I see it now. I was used to machines "rolling" around corners. The DT responds instantly to direction changes. You don't need to loop the corners to keep them square. This will be a big feature when cutting small holes.

Anyway, here are some photos of the parts and cuts.

Cheers!
WSS

magma-joe
11-10-2009, 07:27 PM
WSS, Those are some clean looking cuts. How thick is the material? Just curious, now that you have made a few cuts what kind of money do you think your old supplier was making when he was doing 100 pieces at a time?

WSS
11-10-2009, 11:32 PM
WSS, Those are some clean looking cuts. How thick is the material? Just curious, now that you have made a few cuts what kind of money do you think your old supplier was making when he was doing 100 pieces at a time?

magma-joe,
The cuts I have made so far have been on 1" plate, I cut some 3/16" plate during set-up w/Leon just to make sure the plaz fired. I took a look at the last bill from our supplier and it was not as much as I thought it would be. Assuming they paid the same as I paid for the steel, then they only charged me $285usd to cut the plate. The parts could be cut from a 4X8 sheet.

I am hooked now. I am always on the look out for ways to use the DT. Today I made a new jig for our press to hold some thin edges we are working on that warp like a rainbow. I figure the jig will cut my press time in half over the old set-up. It took 2.25 hours from thought to finished part. I sketched it on paper with dimensions then drew it in autocad to we-cim to DT. The slot in the center was drawn at .875" and cut at .860". Very close by my standard. It could have been as small as .800" and worked fine.

WSS

WSS
11-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I did a two hour session with Gary @ whittlock eng. online Friday. It was well worth the effort. I learned an immense amount about the software. Notably how to make the type of lead I need in any situation. Basically put it anywhere and any type. I have a few nests built but have not had the time to run the file. I am new to windows let alone cnc software. It was pretty neat the way it worked, Gary walked me through a website that loaded a program that let him control my screen along with me. It was like being on-site. I will certainly do more of it later after I apply what I learned so far.

I also picked up a air dryer off of craigslist that needs to be installed. I do believe it is never actually finished, just fine tuned and reaching for that state of perfect-ness.

WSS

magma-joe
11-16-2009, 08:29 AM
WSS,

Gary has done the same for me when I had a problem. It makes for very personalized service. The more you learn about the We-cim software the more powerful it becomes. A question was asked about offsets for kerfs in We-cim. Easy to adjust in the configuration manager.

I will be interested to see how your drier works out. Please post some pics of your water table build. I am considering making some modifications to my table to adjust the water levels.

WSS
11-26-2009, 10:54 PM
We did our first production job on Tuesday and it went better than I had anticipated. This due to Leon's help with the .tap file. I had to cut the same piece 100 times. Leon built it so it would cut and retract the gantry out of the way for us to remove and replace the part and hit the enter key to do it again. Worked great and the holes were clean with little bevel using 80amp parts @30ipm (parts were .69"). I believe the air dryer and coalescing filter combo worked because I had no bad pierces or wonky cuts. I didn't take the torch apart to inspect once or even when finished. The last cut looked like the third cut (OK, I made a mess of the first two cuts, had to de-check stop on lost arc).

YouTube- debri hole cutting

WSS

magma-joe
11-27-2009, 07:48 AM
WSS,

Excellent video! I like the way you have the plasma and drier mounted up and out of the way. Its a great feeling when those first paying jobs start coming in. Are you still planning to start your water table on Dec. 1st?

Magma-joe

Edwardo
11-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Way to go Tommy!!!

Nice to see your DT in action... they look like cat track pads??? and it looks like you have a jig set up to save time by just placing the next pad in the same place...

EDD

I always wondered what WSS stood for, now i know...lol

WSS
11-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Edwardo,
Ya, they are D8N track pads. We cut holes in em' for guys who are in snow, mud or trash. It lets the debri escape out the hole so it doesn't over tighten the rail and snap pins or bushings. We do a couple jobs a month on different sizes for a local distributor. I used to do them with a two hose oxy torch mounted on a 1960's magnetic tracer. It worked good but took forever. The pre-heat took as long as the cut. If you look at the jig, you can see it has a spot for two pads. With plasma, it's as fast as you can go so no need for two spots. Here are afew pics of the finished hole.

Good to see you've surfaced!

Edwardo
11-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi Tommy

Things are finally starting to go our way here, so i get alittle more time to slack off... did the pictures come through?? i sent about 3-4 emails with a few pics each just incase.
Debri Holes... makes sense, i have run alot of cats in my time never really gave that much thought, never really looked to tell you the truth...

Now i get to run a stubborn 4x4 mule, it comes complete with a natural debri hole (Tail pipe) that gags the next guy if he's riding to close behind....lol

EDD

WSS
11-29-2009, 02:34 AM
Edwardo, I didn't get them. I'll PM you another email to try.

Hey, I have a question: I purchased a handful of dxf's from cascade and they won't load correctly in we-cim. Do these have ellipses as part of the drawing? What happens is we-cim will not recognize some of the curves and fails to add a toolpath to it. Drove me nuts. We had all sorts of family over for Thanksgiving and I was hoping to show off and cut some signs for them. Thats what I get. I know you use CorelDraw but was wondering if you ever had this happen? The drawings I generate are pretty simple compared to this art stuff, one dxf had 5000+ entities. I want to figure it out just to be able to add that to our list of things to offer.

Pretty cool transport. Four leg drive. I wonder if the remnant/drop from the debri hole would be of any use? I suppose after a year or so in the sun, it could be used as a wear plate...

You sound rather cheery, how much did it cost them (LOL)?

WSS

Edwardo
11-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Good Morning WSS

As a coincidence or because he has a ad on the zones home page i had a quick look at his website yesterday, he has some nice drawings that i'll probly ad to my collection eventually, im not sure how these drawing are sent, are they .bitmaps that need converted or are they vector drawings ready to cut?
So far i have Iron Shadows, EZ art collection and one other series but the name has vacated my mind. Regardless most of the drawings i cut need some touch ups before hand and thats were sheetcam comes in handy as it will let me know if a drawing isnt proper, so i go back into corel and fix it. Most of the problems are within a curve, so i end up deleting a section of nodes and redoing them, which just made a flicker in my mind... that the drawings need to be saved a curve when i export them out of corel, but im not sure if that applies to we-cim. On his web site he guarentees his drawings so it may be best to send him a email, from the little i know about WE-CIM and from reading his info and options, it wouldnt surprise me if he is using WE-CIM him self.

EDD
Its not all low tech on this job, we did have our own up close private air show one day...

WSS
11-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Good Morning WSS

As a coincidence or because he has a ad on the zones home page i had a quick look at his website yesterday, he has some nice drawings that i'll probly ad to my collection eventually, im not sure how these drawing are sent, are they .bitmaps that need converted or are they vector drawings ready to cut?
So far i have Iron Shadows, EZ art collection and one other series but the name has vacated my mind. Regardless most of the drawings i cut need some touch ups before hand and thats were sheetcam comes in handy as it will let me know if a drawing isnt proper, so i go back into corel and fix it. Most of the problems are within a curve, so i end up deleting a section of nodes and redoing them, which just made a flicker in my mind... that the drawings need to be saved a curve when i export them out of corel, but im not sure if that applies to we-cim. On his web site he guarentees his drawings so it may be best to send him a email, from the little i know about WE-CIM and from reading his info and options, it wouldnt surprise me if he is using WE-CIM him self.

EDD
Its not all low tech on this job, we did have our own up close private air show one day...

Edwardo,
I have been communicating with Jason from Cascade, he replied immediatly. He will make it work,no doubt. I will contact Gary at we-cim to see whats happening on Monday and get back with Jason to see what we can do. I looked close a some of the files to see if they looked like curves or ellipses. They look like super short lines to me. SoI am not sure why we-cim is not seeing them.

So what kind of Miller welder is Ms. Claus going to squeeze down the chimney?

I am doing a R&D project in our main shop room. We installed a "SAR" system (supplied air respirator). Lately, we have noticed the new paint being used continues to smoke and off gas longer than it used to. We have used the under hood/low profile respirators for a long time, but this new paint seems to get through the filter. We tried using paint filters and they worked but don't fit under the hood to well. So we are trying this new system where we install an air pump outside the room and plumb it through the wall bringing fresh air to you. You can quick connect all sorts of apparatus to it. I tried the welding hood adapter but it was to hard to get in and out of. The half mask is fine for grinding but not so under the hood. I fabbed a kydex adaptor for the top of the hood to blow fresh air over the top and circulate around inside. It works good so far. No more headaches or stinky paint smell. It is also cooling, when you are staring at a 450amp arc for awhile the hood gets real hot and the cool air feels refreshing. They even sell a cooler that runs through ice water. I am hoping to get one for the summer and plumb it through the fridge in the tool room. Here is a link to the system components:

http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Categories?category=Respiratory+protection

WSS

Edwardo
11-29-2009, 09:32 PM
WSS

That is a interesting concept for fresh air, almost like the divers used to use. In your climate i can see the heat of summer being a real health and safety issue, as well as production...then mix the heat with fumes/smoke and its even worse. At our shop in Mexico i noticed they have the roof about 30-40 feet high with no walls at all, its basically working out side with the roof for shade is all. I really dislike painting, im not set up proper for it so that makes it even worse, i have the spray guns etc and a small compressor i use but still it hit and miss at the best of times, to me theres nothing worse than making a nice sign or something, then watching the paint run... its happened a few times... i use rattle cans alot but they are more money and the rust seems to come through in no time... i plan on building a powder coating oven some day in the future when i have more space, this is a interesting concept also for powder coating.. http://iidbs.com/PPC.ZKB .. i checked into it and its not cheap, around 15 grand for everything out of New York... i guess like everything if you have alot of use for it, it would pay... i havent given up on that idea yet as it is portable and if a guy were to check around there may be other work for it besides my own. I have the millermatic 252 on my wish list, it will do everything i need, can attach the spool gun for aluminium etc, i have a hobart now which is ok, but i would like to upgrade my equipment when i can over time, they're both probly made in the same factory though.
First thing i need to do is finish this tour, boss caught me at a weak moment and i agreed to return here next year... what was i thinking:confused:

EDD

WSS
12-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Edwardo,

I had a look at the Millermatic 252, I would have to hawk my DT to get one of those! Seriously, Millers are nice. Great support too. IF you have a problem, The help # in the manual will put you in touch with a guy who knows the product. Hobarts and Millers are "continents" apart. I have heard rumors of Miller sending stuff overseas, but have not actually confirmed it. All of our welding gear is Miller now. It's pricey but lasts forever. Even a good used one would work nice. Sometimes used machines have a few extras like a spool gun or regs and are hardly broke in. Take off the side cover and look for dust. The new machine's fans only run when a certain temp is reached, so dust will show how much use it has. Weld dust, like plaz dust is sticky. A simple blow nozzle job usually leaves that layer. You would walk away from any of our machines and wish me luck.

I looked at that powdercoater, do you have to preheat the part? I am not to familiar with powdercoating, except I know it looks good and is durable. With a nice powdercoater added to your arsenal, you could probably skip the trips down south (LOL).

I haven't had a chance to work on the DXF issue today. We just had our Thanksgiving Holiday (4 days!) and back to work to make up for the time off.

WSS

Edwardo
12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
WSS

Thanks for the advice on the welder, i will check around for a used one first... i read new they are around 2500 bucks,:drowning: then add on the spool gun etc.

As far as i know that powder coating system doent need pre heating as they claim to be able to powder coat card board and plastic, anything?? if you contact them they will send you a info package that shows everything.. but i instantly lost interest in when i seen the 15 grand price tag... but it may be worth it to someone if they do alot of painting and want to switch to powder coating or if they are jobbing out the powder coating.. or have limited space for a oven etc... so far i only qualify for the limited space.

EDD

P.S. not sure if i mentioned it before, or maybe you already know, but www.plasmaspider.com has alot of free art work files that other people have drawn and share... there are some very talented artists on that site and i have used some of there files.

WSS
12-03-2009, 11:44 PM
I had intended to start a build of a water table insert on my table this week but things have been busy around here. I hope to get on it next week :cool:

I am also in the process of making a water cooled torch attachment for our oxy torch, it will fit a plasma machine torch as well. I have noticed a much higher heat (400f) on the main torch body than used to be on any other cutters I have used. Probably the duty cycle and long pre-heats. I now have a longer "flame-on" time, which is a good thing! I am going to build it out of copper and attach it as a slip on and clamp affair. I am copying a Tweco TAM gun nozzle that we use over here. It is made of 3/4" tube with various attachments for flow and is soldered or sweated together. It allows a 500amp TAM gun to run at 100% duty cycle. So I am hoping to get some input if anyone has tried it or has any ideas? This will have a 1.375" inner bore and clamped with a tube clamp or even a hoseclamp. So it will work on a plasma torch as well (assuming it works on oxy). When the parts arrive, I'll post some pics of the parts to show the idea. I will use a Tweco TC-900 cooler to cool the torch. I believe any circulating water supply would work, even a little giant pump in a five gallon bucket (I've done that before).

So... Any input is welcome! Please, if I am running down a dark alley, trip me.

I'll post it as I build just incase it actually work!

WSS

WSS
12-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Here is a photo of a spare Tweco TAM gun with the water cooled nozzle attached. It is 3/4" ID, and the one I will build will be 1-3/8" to slip over the torch body.

WSS

Edwardo
12-04-2009, 06:11 PM
WSS

So does this water cooling attachment just cool the nozzle by circulating the water through a heat exchanger or does it spray out to cool the piece you are cutting also?

EDD

WSS
12-05-2009, 02:01 AM
It's a heat exchanger (good name for it!). I have never seen one on a oxy torch, of course Hypertherm makes a water cooled torch for there high end HD machines. I am not sure how much heat all the stuff around the torches can handle. The slide should be OK, but the laser and all the harness cables, even the smart motor. I did a run on 1" A36 with 10 pierces and about 20 feet of cut and the torch reached 400f. The pierce delay was 100 seconds (I gotta learn the chain cutting thing in we-cim). I think that is what builds up the heat. I sampled around with my Fluke infrared thermometer to get familiar with what was getting hot and I found that to be a little hot for my taste. I could be wrong, but it just seemed hot to me.

WSS

PlasmaGuy
12-05-2009, 10:20 AM
WSS,

You are flame cutting the 1" or using your 1650? The pierce delay of 100 seconds sounds like flame?

WSS
12-05-2009, 05:38 PM
WSS,

You are flame cutting the 1" or using your 1650? The pierce delay of 100 seconds sounds like flame?

I use oxy on the 1" plate. We use various Victor three hose machine torches. I have three set-up for use on the DT. I am using propane at the moment, but may try acetylene sometime soon. Two of the torches have a "V" at the end of the part number, which means they have a 1/4 turn valve on the hi-pressure inlet. This works good to run two torches together when beveling, using one with the valve off to pre-heat ahead of the bevel torch.

I understand that the 1650 tops out at 3/4" for piercing, but I have edge started and cut 1-3/8" with top notch results. Short runs of course.

WSS

PlasmaGuy
12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
WSS,

I don't know if you have Airgas as vendor in CA but I use their version of MAPP. You'll lower your pierce time for sure versus LPG.

Have you tried any other consumables for the 1650 other than Hypertherm?

WSS
12-06-2009, 04:15 PM
WSS,

I don't know if you have Airgas as vendor in CA but I use their version of MAPP. You'll lower your pierce time for sure versus LPG.

Have you tried any other consumables for the 1650 other than Hypertherm?

PlasmaGuy,

Airgas is our current supply vendor. They do a pretty good job keeping me out of trouble. Can you run mapp through a N (LPG) torch? I know you can change the mixers if needed. I have one A and two N torches. Supposedly, the A torch can run all gases. I have not used mapp, does it cut clean? I switched to LP years ago because it was cleaner and less dross than acetylene (and we have our own LPG tank). I'll hit up our sales rep on Monday to ask about it, what name do they use for the gas?

I have not tried any other types other than Hypertherm. When we first started to use it, I ordered parts for 40, 60, 80 and 100 amp. Of course I had no idea what parts wore out first, so I have too few of some and too many of others (I have yet to wear out an o-ring). Who makes aftermarket parts for them?

Thanks a bunch for the info!
WSS

WSS
12-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I cut up a half inch plate with the plasma torch today and learned about a new feature for piercing thick plate. It is a button next to the Z axis read out. When clicked it opens a window with options on piercing. One of the features is for the torch to drop to pierce height and fire, then back off the desired amount to get away from the blow back, then drop to the cut height. It is pretty clever. Leon walked me through it and said it was something Mike had added not to long ago. I like that feature! It even works with the THC off. The feature is off if the arrows are close together and on if they are wide. Just a click. Worked great.

We also found a noise issue that that was causing the torch to lose arc and stop the machine. Leon emailed me the part # of a resistor I need to install in the master motor plug. Looks easy enough. Should fix the dropped arc problem. It would happen at random and now that I think about it, it would happen about the same spot on the table usually.

Also noticed that the further away I would cut (found this when cutting inside holes/squares) that less bevel was present. At one point I was cutting .250" off the plate (162V) and had less than 1 degree of bevel. I set-up the leads in we-cim and followed the recommendations in a pdf that Jim Colt sent me. The outs were almost flat and well within tolerance (Thanks Jim!)

WSS

magma-joe
12-11-2009, 10:01 PM
WSS,

Thanks for the tip on the Z axis feature. I need to upgrade to the latest software as that would be a great option for piercing heavy plate. I intend to install the capacitor Leon spoke of in my machine also.

The PDF Jim sent, is it for lead in and lead out parameters? How is the water table project coming?

Magma-joe

WSS
12-12-2009, 01:27 AM
magma-joe,

The PDF from Mr. Colt does have lead in/out drawings and suggestions (I can post it if anyone wants to see it, or ask Jim and he will send it). It shows good drawings of what they need to look like. I used the "create manual lead" function to do them in we-cim. Worked great.

The water table is not moving ahead at the moment. I have been training a new guy on a weld machine this week. He is doing good and is gentle with the equipment. Next week it will be training on the 100 ton press and painting. I should be able to sneak some time on it though. I will take my drawing to our steel yard to see how close they can brake/bend the 12ga. I will use 1.5" X .1875" angle iron in a grid pattern across the bottom to give support for the weight of the water and crud it will gather. I will also incorporate a middle slat tensioner like yours to get rid of the plate wiggle.

I did some more training with Gary Whittlock today. Every time I learn loads! Gary took me for a walk around cutting shop. That is pretty powerful. Things like the optimize tool and deform will make importing jps or rasters simple. Cutting shop has version 3 available now. I will order that from Gary on Monday. It has many more features added.

One thing that was driving me crazy in we-cim was when I would change the burner after importing a drawing. I would get errors when building a nest. What I should do is test cut every nozzle and oxy tip I have and measure the kerf to build a burner library in we-cim. Also worked out rotation allowances and flipping. I should be able to work up a nest in no time now.

How goes the progress on your machine (and your knee)?

WSS

magma-joe
12-12-2009, 08:47 AM
WSS,

I agree with you about the We-cim / Cutting Shop software. It is a powerful combination. I would'nt want to compete with another shop and not have it.
I purchased version 3 of cutting shop also. I like the weld feature for making signs.

Could you post or send me Jim's PDF? I am always eagar to improve my cuts. The knee and machine upgrade are both coming along well. Today I am running air hose for the preload cylinders and DASH solenoid valves. Perhaps another 2 or 3 days and I will be calling Leon to do the initial start up.

Magma-joe

WSS
12-12-2009, 04:11 PM
WSS,

I agree with you about the We-cim / Cutting Shop software. It is a powerful combination. I would'nt want to compete with another shop and not have it.
I purchased version 3 of cutting shop also. I like the weld feature for making signs.

Could you post or send me Jim's PDF? I am always eagar to improve my cuts. The knee and machine upgrade are both coming along well. Today I am running air hose for the preload cylinders and DASH solenoid valves. Perhaps another 2 or 3 days and I will be calling Leon to do the initial start up.

Magma-joe

That is good news about your knee and the machine. I will be checking your thread often for updates!

I forgot about the weld feature. It was overwhelming watching Gary run through the program. So many features and add ons. I was going to buy a newer version of AutoCad but think I will opt for v3 of cutting shop instead.

Here is the pdf. that Jim sent me. It is a good source of info to add to your knowledge file, similar to the centricut link you posted a while back.

WSS

WSS
12-21-2009, 09:31 PM
And a happy New Year!

WSS
01-03-2010, 09:11 PM
My gantry jumping problem prioritized itself last week. I had to replace the FO crossover cable and the transmit and receive modules. I started with the FO cable and had it running one evening, the next morning the slave was not responding again! I ordered the whole kit to be safe. I found a kink in the new FO cable right at the slave receiver! It was not there when I installed it, so I built a guard around the sensitive parts of the slave motor. I have not had any problems since! I also put perimeter marking tape around it to keep guys out of that zone.

Also built a little sharpie holder out of a toasted shield. I drilled a .450" hole through the shield and shimmed the back with a hose ferule that had been crimped and removed, it tightened up the sharpie nice and snug. It would work better if I had a piece of fiber board with a piece of closed cell foam to pin the paper to. This would allow the pen to float some since the THC is not working.

YouTube- Dynatorch tracer plotter attachment

magma-joe
01-03-2010, 11:31 PM
WSS,

Nice job on the guards and plotter. I have to make some of those for my machine. Yesterday I snagged the pneumatic preload cylinder on my pocket when I walked by. Lucky it did'nt hurt anything.

Sounds like you solved your issue and can get down to making money with your machine. Murphy strikes again!

Magma-joe

WSS
01-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Our DT has been working pretty steady the last month and very little problems. Small things like a oxy pierce dropping a hot meteor onto the air line and starting a small leak. Still haven't fixed it. need to get a splice to put in the carrier or just re route another hose.

I have done some chain cutting (oxy) on some 1" plate that worked well. It was different than I expected. I will try to post a screen shot of the Dt software cutting the file. It cut three sides of the part then made one long cut to finish the fourth side. This was a big help with the warping as the last cut was short and already dissipated some heat. Gary at we-cim helped me set it up. It is pretty straight forward and works good. The only problem I had was losing the cut over the already cut gaps. Easy enough to start it again though. I will have to figure that one out through trial and error.

Edwardo
01-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi WSS

Good to see things are going well for you, not much left of that sheet after cutting all your parts, thats the way i like to do it also whenever i can...
As i wrote before i didnt have the time or motivation last trip home to even fire up my table but i'll be gunning for it this spring... Really curious about cutting copper and coming up with some design plans in my spare time here.

Have a good one
EDD

millman52
01-28-2010, 06:50 PM
First pic is a few edge cuts I am getting in 1" As well as a couple pics of some chain cutting also 1" plate.

I had to create my own chain cutting files. I don't have any software to do it for me.

If you look closely on the 3rd. pic there are only (6) pierce points on that sheet.

I don't know if you can blow up a section of the 3rd. picture & retain enough detail to see how the cut sequence went. They really wasn't that hard to create in the cad program.

Neil

WSS
01-29-2010, 12:33 AM
First pic is a few edge cuts I am getting in 1" As well as a couple pics of some chain cutting also 1" plate.

I had to create my own chain cutting files. I don't have any software to do it for me.

If you look closely on the 3rd. pic there are only (6) pierce points on that sheet.

I don't know if you can blow up a section of the 3rd. picture & retain enough detail to see how the cut sequence went. They really wasn't that hard to create in the cad program.

Neil

Pictures are worth a thousand words!

I was able to take a close look at the chain cut. I put a arrow pointing to a transition, how did the cut crossover? I lost every cut at the crossover points my first try. Not a problem to start again but would be nice to keep a constant cut. Do you turn off your gas once the oxygen-izing cut starts? I have that as an option in my machine settings window. I have never done that or heard of it. I am using we-cim to do the chain cutting. I am a serious novice with windows let alone CAD and CAM software. I have been doing online training with Gary at we-cim and just starting to get comfortable with it.

The acetylene cuts you show are identical to LP. The drawback with LP is the pre-heat cycle. I plan on installing a water table soon and cannot imagine what steaming water under the plate will do to LP pre-heat time. I have a rosebud heating tip that fits in place of a tip for our Victors and will use that as a second station to pre-heat, even with acetylene I think it will lower the pre-heat time.

The cut parts you posted look like AR plate (Hard-Ox in particular). Do you cut much AR? Seems that is most of what we will likely cut, both 400 and 500.

WSS

millman52
01-29-2010, 08:08 AM
No the plate is A36 Mild steel the very first picture in my previous post is part of the assembly pictured below.

As far as the transition between parts on a chain cut is a tiny gap. I'll look later & see exactly what that particular gap is. I think the tip I am using on 1" takes .060 kerf, but the space is much smaller like .007 or even .005.

I'll try to explain more later when not at work. I'll also post a small file that I drew for 6 parts cut from 1 1/2" that you can open in your CAD & look.

WSS
01-30-2010, 03:49 AM
Hi WSS

Good to see things are going well for you, not much left of that sheet after cutting all your parts, thats the way i like to do it also whenever i can...
As i wrote before i didnt have the time or motivation last trip home to even fire up my table but i'll be gunning for it this spring... Really curious about cutting copper and coming up with some design plans in my spare time here.

Have a good one
EDD

Good to hear from you!

Copper eh? How thick will you try? Clock hands would be cool out of copper or brass and clear coated. What kind of parts will you make?

I bought a sheet of 12ga today to make a coolant tray around one of our mills and ended up cutting a clock. It warped pretty good, but the THC tracked it fine. After work today, I had intended to cut the tray but the clock just seemed like more fun. I had to call Leon and ask how to drop the pierce delay. I had forgot how. I have only cut gauge material once before when it was new and that was a small rem.

How is the job going? I bet you don't miss the zero degree weather.

WSS

WSS
03-31-2010, 03:04 AM
We have our new site up. It will go through many changes over the next month or so, but the basic format is done. Take a look and please give me some feedback on it. We are trying to be simple and to the point, giving the capabilities and ideas.

Metal Tech Eng. is now floating on it's own power! It was decided to branch out from our parent company. I hope to make cutting services available to a wider customer base (compared to the hard surfacing), focusing on shops needing outside sourcing.

http://www.metaltechus.com/index.php

Thanks!

WSS

magma-joe
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
WSS,

I like the layout and pictures on your website. Simple and to the point. Nice work! Sounds like you have the Dynatorch dialed in and ready for anything that comes in the door. On the shape cutting page you mentioned a water table? I did'nt know you had completed yours. Post some pics!

Magma-joe

WSS
04-01-2010, 09:24 PM
WSS,

I like the layout and pictures on your website. Simple and to the point. Nice work! Sounds like you have the Dynatorch dialed in and ready for anything that comes in the door. On the shape cutting page you mentioned a water table? I did'nt know you had completed yours. Post some pics!

Magma-joe

magma-joe,
No, I have not finished it yet. I was asked to get any info I thought was important to the web guy. I have a month to get it together. Nothing like a little prodding to get the project in gear!

Supposedly a tool within the admin site will let me make changes. One will be a larger flash size on the projects page. It was bigger but we changed it because the pics did not show entirely. Now we will go back and make the pics fit instead of the other way around. It should be customizable before long. I have all the material for the table bent and ready to weld, man there is a bunch of welding to do! I think I will buy a roll of .028 wire due to the 12ga thinness. It will be three inches below the slats and even with the top, so i probably wont be able to submerge, but just hit the bottom.

I'll post as I go along.

How is your new machine working?

Cheers!
WSS

Edwardo
04-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi WSS

I second what Magma-Joe said, it looks real good... easy to navigate and reminded me that i have to do some work on my own site.

Happy Easter to all
EDD

magma-joe
04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
WSS, the new machine has been working well. I am very happy with it.

Magma-joe

WSS
08-22-2011, 12:07 AM
We have began a retro-fit of our machine over the last two weeks and have started with completing the water table insert. It went well today and should be operational Monday evening. The plumbing is done. Just need to make a splash guard and finish up the slat curver portion. I had lots of help today, one over and one under LOL.

We have a CandCnc PlazPak-4 servo system on order with Torchead. We should have it in a week or two. We are going to add lots of features and hope to get some "pre-building" done before the system shows up. I purchased a K2 Z slide and it looks well built. The new servos are a nema34 as opposed to the nema23 currently on the machine, so I have some adapters for it and will need to make some room around the mounts. 80/20 has what we need and that should be in soon I hope.

WSS

gurew
08-22-2011, 02:05 AM
too large for my usage but holy cow that is 1 very nice table!!! i hope that my build can come close to this quality

I Lean
08-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Looks great! I have to ask though....what's left of the Dynatorch stuff? Seems like just the gantry, the linear guides/bearings/slides/whatever they use, and the basic table structure?

magma-joe
08-22-2011, 12:56 PM
WSS, like your table, your water tray and tank are first class. I am sure you are ready to get back to cutting as soon as possible. It is to bad the problem with your motors could not be solved. I also did not realize Dynatorch had recently switched to Panasonic brand servos. They must be an improvement over the animatics as I see the cost went up with the change.

Keep the pics coming of your build, I still need a water table with a bladder and am curious to hear of your experiences.

I will post this link for pinion stock again in case you missed it. You can't beat the price and being able to make the hole size and hub diameter whatever you want is a big plus. If I remember correctly it is about $35.00 for a 12" piece.
Steel Spur Gear - Grob, Inc. (http://www.grobinc.com/coldrolled/std_spur_gears.htm)

Magma-joe

WSS
09-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys for the nice comments.

gurew, if you go with the idea of "never", it works good and you can always improve it as you go. It is NEVER done LOL!

I lean, The table we built ourselves so not much will be left. The bearings and gantry is about it. At some point I will need to upgrade the cam follower slave side to be a bit more accurate. It works fine now but the new system will have loads more torque.

magma-joe, Thanks for the link. I hunted it down on your build thread and contacted them, they have what I need but I no longer have ready access to my lathe, it is semi retired and would take a bunch of work to get power to it again. A friend of ours works for a Thompson industrial supply and is going to make them for us reasonably enough. I am going with a spur to give us a top speed of 800ipm which is plenty fast for us.

The water table is working great. It fills in 30 seconds and empties in about a minute. I say empties but it never actually drains completely. The bladder holds fewer gallons than the tray but that is OK. First, space was limited but second, the oxy torch does a number on the bottom of a dry tray. It warped the old tray to bits. This tray is 2" shallower too, so I will need the buffer for sure. The curved slats make a huge difference with plate stability, no more wiggling. I opted not to curve the first four slats as we often use those for jigs and I did not want to have to re-adjust the curve every time we needed to cut in that section. Virtually no smoke, a little steam but that is all. The room is more humid but the overhead fan keeps the air moving. A splash guard was necessary to keep the water off the rails. It is on a magnetic break away set-up in case of a bump or hit.

More pics of the Z install later.

WSS

WSS
09-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Got the Z all set up. It is a K2 floating head with 6" of travel. I mounted it to some .5" X 1" 80/20 rack and that has an additional 4" of travel if needed to cut tall or thick stuff. I talked possum plasma (Mick, a swell guy) into letting me try a plasma cam DHC2 breakaway and fit it up to the K2 floater. It went well and it is has two things going for it: brilliant and simple. It will work great. Strong and very repeatable. If it crashes, simply put it back on, no fuss. It naturally "goes home".

Our new system will utilize a remote monitor that will be wall mounted. I picked up a enclosure from automation direct (I have used many advertisers here on the zone with really good luck) and cut out the front and back to hold filters/fans and a piece of lexan/polycarbonate to protect the 27" monitor. It will be mounted by a VESA mount to the wall.

WSS

WSS
09-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Well, we managed to get quite a bit done this long weekend! The monitor is up and running, looks great from across the room. Also managed to get the master side of the table wall covered and painted, this really cleaned up the look of things. I used two 4x8 sheets of plywood and painted it the closest color I could match to "plasma dust stained wood", it was called coco van or some odd color. Started on the relay box that will control the air dryer, overhead fans and two other 110vac items to be picked later. Probably the oxy console or preheat solenoids.

millman52
09-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Looks like you are making great progress

WSS
09-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Looks like you are making great progress

Neil, just sent you an email.

How do you get your posts to the cut computer? Is it via bluetooth or a wireless network? I am working on a NEMA 4X enclosure (plastic) to house the computer and MP-3000 console. Being plastic, I am hoping that it will have good wireless capabilities. It has a a clear front panel so I can see the console and status lights.

WSS

millman52
09-08-2011, 07:51 AM
I'm hard wired via ethernet cable. I have Sheetcam set to automatically import code to Mach the instant it is generated.

You Have Email.

magma-joe
09-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Got the Z all set up. It is a K2 floating head with 6" of travel. I mounted it to some .5" X 1" 80/20 rack and that has an additional 4" of travel if needed to cut tall or thick stuff. I talked possum plasma (Mick, a swell guy) into letting me try a plasma cam DHC2 breakaway and fit it up to the K2 floater. It went well and it is has two things going for it: brilliant and simple. It will work great. Strong and very repeatable. If it crashes, simply put it back on, no fuss. It naturally "goes home".

Our new system will utilize a remote monitor that will be wall mounted. I picked up a enclosure from automation direct (I have used many advertisers here on the zone with really good luck) and cut out the front and back to hold filters/fans and a piece of lexan/polycarbonate to protect the 27" monitor. It will be mounted by a VESA mount to the wall.

WSS

WSS, Your water bladder looks like it works great! After reading one of Jim Colts posts on another forum about cutting aluminum on a water table using a bladder I decided it might not be safe for me since I cut so much aluminum. He said draining the aluminum particles into the bladder would allow the hydrogen gas to accumulate inside the enclosed bladder. A potential "boom"

I am confused by the floating head design you are refering to? Are you not going to use a THC system? Apparently you are not going to reuse the Dynatorch torch slide?

Magma-joe

WSS
09-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Magma-joe,

The bladder we are using has a 3/4" valve on top of it to vent out air to drop the water back into it (I probably should have put a 1" valve to speed the drop). The air is changed every time it is raised and lowered, so I think it probably is safe for hydrogen build up. Are the aluminum particles the culprit or is it the cutting vapor?

The floating head triggers a switch when it touches the surface. It floats about 1/4" before the switch is triggered. Once it is triggered the Z rises the amount of float plus your arc start height, then goes through the pierce sequence. The K2 has a light touch which will be helpful with "un-clean" slats LOL. We might go four or five sheets before they get a good scraping, so plates tends to get wobbly. I really like the Snap 'n Cut breakaway, I think it will be a nice feature.

Yesterday I did 6 hours of oxy cutting on the water table, cuts were slower but cleaner. The sound was way different too. I dropped the water to 3" under the plate and had virtually no slag. Sometimes you will get a lot of slag when you get back to the pierce area because of the extra heat, the water solved that.

WSS

WSS
09-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Got a little bit more done this weekend. This is the housing for the computer and the MP-3000. It has filtered fans and filtered exhaust to handle cooling. This has a clear cover so we can see the lights on the console.

WSS

WSS
09-16-2011, 02:02 PM
About 200lbs of gear showed up today from CandCnc! I have only had time to open and take a quick look so far. The motors are huge. The slave side mount will have to be milled to make room for the 12" of motor and gearbox.

WSS

Benderart
09-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Mate, that Snap 'n Cut looks like it was built to fit the DynaTorch.
Glad it worked out for you....if I can help in any way in the future just give me a holler.....

----------------------
www.snapncut.com

millman52
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Tommy, Are you up & running with the new system?

WSS
10-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Tommy, Are you up & running with the new system?

Neil,
Not yet. Getting close though. I am finishing up the limits and homes. I saw a post of yours somewhere showing sealed roller limit switches and decided to copy especially since water is close to them. I picked up four of them from automation direct that are really "configurable" for both NC and NO and different rotations and directions. The Y axis I will use the supplied limits.

Do you think the Z needs a top limit? It has the float switch but no upper limit. Tom says his system will shut down instantly when a overload is detected. It really can't run away but am wondering if it would be a good idea.

Once the home/limits are done, it will be down to the motor mounts. I have everything sitting on the bench to do them but no time.

I am just finishing up a casing for the new PN-200 pendant. Terry (over on the support forum) posted a drawing to hold it, I modified it to protect the ipm and volt knobs from accidental bumping and then coated it with a can of rubberized spray. It should be protected enough now. It will have a gap around it so you can make the mistake of setting it on something hot and survive! The computer came from CandCnc all set up with Mach3 and the right screens so it will be a snap when all said and done. I will be able to control the overhead fans, air dryer, pH solenoids and motor tension cylinders via CandCnc's quad relay card, that will be cool, now it is even more of a spectator sport.

Tommy

millman52
10-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Tommy,

I've been following some of your posts over on CandCNC's help board.

I bought my honeywell switches from McMaster. They have been flawless so far. & you're right you can use them in just about any configuration & just about anywhere. Near as I can tell they are spot on with repeatability too.

I really couldn't advise you on an upper limit for the Z. If Tom doesn't think it's necessary Then I probably wouldn't. It's just something else to carry the weight & yet another place to create a possible problen.

In fact if it were me I'd probably do away with the air cylinders on the pinion gears & go with springs. All that air plumbing with nylon & vinyl is just many more places to cause a potential problem. I guess if they are there then use them I know that the very first time one of them dropped out on me & cause maintenance I'd fall back on the KISS principal.

Hope to see it running soon

Neil.

WSS
10-09-2011, 10:46 PM
I came to the conclusion that it would be simpler (like you said KISS principal) to use just two limits on the X and two homes of course and the torch touch off switch for a total of five, that eliminates two swithes AND potential problems. Thanks, I was over thinking it. The air cylinders are pretty flawless. They have the advantage of being able to move the gantry around freely, I can park at load position at night and roll it by hand to home before starting in the morning after loading plate. I have not had to replace a cylinder yet, so they may go the route of springs if they are big bucks.

Tommy

Edit: Should be a total of six, forgot to add in the Y home switch!

WSS
10-23-2011, 10:59 PM
We are working hard to stay on schedule and be running by December 1st. So far so good. I managed to get the Y axis mount plate done.

I think I found the main reason we are losing motors. Over working those tiny nema23 motors. The new PlazPak system uses nema34 motors and gearboxes, which on paper do not seem much larger but lay them next to each other and the size difference is clear. The new system will also have a larger pinion giving a lower top end and more torque on the bottom. It will top out at 680ipm, so it will still do 250ipm easily if needed (i have never needed over 150ipm so far). I have the custom pinions ready and even got a spare just incase.

WSS

PlasmaGuy
10-24-2011, 07:07 AM
The photos do help in showing us know how much heavier as system you are installing.

WSS
10-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Got the actual mounts done for all the axis' now. The tough one was/is the slave side, the new mount is tight with an 1/8" clearance each side. The tough part is yet to come, the new motor when attached reaches up into the steel 3" tube behind the aluminum drop bracket. I was hoping it would short enough to just mill out the drop bracket and go but I will have to cut into the steel tube a bit, about 2" each way. I will put a 2-1/2" x 1/4" angle iron on the uncut side to replace some of the structure/mass that will be lost in the fitting. In the second picture, next to the orange fiber optic cable are three black pen marks, roughly the area needed for the new motor. This is only a small setback really and (so far) the only real hick-up. I was not surprised by it but had hoped cutting the tube would not be needed.

The master side went on without any mods. Even the air cylinder clevis mount was OK were it was.

Getting closer everyday!

WSS

millman52
10-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Glad to see you are moving along......

I've had a couple glitches with my table the last couple weeks. Pc began shutting down. Was as simple as installing a CPU cooling fan but still a PITA with work piled up to do.

I thought I had a back up PC ready to Plug-N Play but that didn't pan out either. When I hooked it up the DRO's headed off to the races with a mind of their own. In the process of working the bugs out of the backup PC.

I'm in the design process of an entirely new table 5 X 12. It will probably take me several months to pull off the build. & I really have lots of other things I'd rather do. But to put it as simple as I can. There just isn't an affordable ready made table out there that even comes close to what I want/need.

WSS
10-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Second generation always works better. So, you had this back-up PC that you hoped to rely on in time of need and.......Murphy got you.:cheers:

What kind of drives are you going to use on the new table? I will have right at 8K when all said and done with this PlazPak4+. It looks robust for sure. I did go w/gearboxes due to the high rpms of the servos which added to the cost $$, but it should have excellent motion. I also went with a 27" monitor and an enclosure so we could see it from across the room, that added a bit too.

I am hoping this new PN-200 pendant works well, it will take that "windows pc" feel away and be more user friendly.

Are you going to set-up for plaz and oxy on the new one? Another hi/lo?

I just milled out the aluminum drop bracket on the DT this afternoon, now to cut the tube, a good project for after Church tomorrow.

Tommy

millman52
10-29-2011, 11:37 PM
For what I do here I'll be useing a 5 axis stepper system. Probably have it customised a bit. I'm not really going to change my basic design much just tweek a few things. I'm going to attempt to mount my rails & rack gears to a machined strip to get away from any sort of spring loading of the pinions. I was able to pull it off with my current gantry & simply set the pinion to 0.00 lash, lock it down, it stays & doesn't wear.

I'm sure the pinion wears just a bit initially, till it gets a bit of lash then pretty much remains wear free after that. The spring loading is ok & a pair of 3/8" wide 3/4" dia. pinions have lasted over 3 years. They are just now to the point that the tips of the pinions are sort of "pole vaulting" across the root of the rack causing distinctive kerf lines about 1/4" apart.

Just detail stuff mainly. Unless I change my mind I'm not going to use the first piece of profiled linear rail.

Keep up the good work......

Few other "I can fix that" small issues.

WSS
10-30-2011, 07:07 PM
I like the idea of 0 backlash. My machine is not true enough for that. One of our carbide machines has a "no pre-load" pinion and rack. Last time I checked the hour meter it had done over 10 million inches of powered travel on the same pinion, another 10 million (at least) of free rolling with the pinion engaged. About a year ago the clutch went out and I realigned the pinion while I was there and realized I probably should of left it alone. It seems to have accelerated the wear some, like you mentioned the pole vaulting, it does not take off as quick. it has to take up that slack.

On your new build, will you use the 5th axis for dual torches?

Here is some progress pics from today. Get the limits screwed down and then the major tear down starts, had hoped to do it over Thanksgiving but have some family coming in so may have to postpone a weekend or so. Have to have it back together tonight as I have 2k parts to cut Monday and Tuesday. I am getting ancy as I am way into the motor failure zone now. They were lasting 180-200hrs and I am up to 300hrs now.

WSS

millman52
10-31-2011, 09:30 AM
My Y axis has no spring loading The rack is true enough to the linear bearing I didn't have to.... I'd guess there has been as much wear on the pinion from surface rust caused by moisture in the air as opposed to actual friction/grit. I have never had to adjust for wear. It's been done form having to change out that stinking linear rail a couple times, so it gets set back tight again when that happens. Just had to do that again last Friday.

The spring loaded pair on the X axis is a different story I have stretched the use of them beyond the machine cutting as goood as it is capable.

I took a good look at the Y pinion because I was ordering replacements for the X decided not to even order one for the Y.

WSS
11-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Had a chance to get some more done over the last week and have 2.5 days to get some more done. The limits are mounted but have not been wired yet. I decided to mount five switches on the command center to control a variety of non-CNC controlled stuff. I made up a water slide decal to fit the new panel, I love these things, they work great and are bright and colorful, easy to see (Thanks Neil!). Originally I was going to use CandCnc's quad relay card for this but sometimes this stuff needs to run when Mach is not. I will still use a few of the outputs on the quad relay but need to get this thing up and running before another motor pops. Lost another motor a couple of weeks ago. Got lucky(ish) on this one as it was on the recall list, not the one that blew but another I had on hand that was dead from awhile back, just happened to mention the serial number of it to a tech guy I had not spoke to before. Had to pay shipping (almost as much as a new motor on our new system) but had a shiny new one next day.

Tommy

WSS
11-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Managed to get the motors hooked up and turning properly with the right pulses. Used the PN-200 to jog motors and control other features. Looks like a go now. Just the time to shut the machine down and harness everything. Maybe this next weekend.

Got a we-cim notice in this morning about a new V.20! Looking forward to the new version. That will be my next hurdle, getting it in and working with mach3.

The big screen mode with the new pendant is really useful, you can see it across the shop easily, even with my failing eyes.

WSS

millman52
11-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Looks like you are about to get it wrapped up....

WSS
11-29-2011, 03:01 AM
Ya, I may try to do it during the week as opposed to a weekend. I have a four day job in right now that keeps getting pushed back. I am Going to finish up some small details tomorrow and if this job gets stalled another day, I will probably start the tear down. I have to clear some details first regarding software but it should take two days to get back up and running. Then that four day job will magically turn into a 8 day job due to my fumbling around with a new system LOL.

Went back this morning before disconnecting the new servos and did some "re-checking" of the numbers on the motor tuning config screen and found I was way out again. Is this math that difficult? Boy, I finally got the Z perfect but haven't a clue on the X & Y as they were not actually on the rack. The Z was easy(er) due to the 10tpi leadscrew and the fact I could put a steel rule next to it.

When you get ready to do your next table, get a PN-200. Very friendly to use. Welding gloves a no go but thin gloves work good. I have found with the water table that those rubber coated cotton gloves work good in the water but no feel. I am trying some of those popular ($$) mechanix gloves, I can run the mouse and keyboard with them and even answer the phone, so the pendant should work with them too.

WSS

WSS
12-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Well I am a day and a half into the retro. The tear down was yesterday and the install started today afternoon. December is a tough month to get anything done. My wife wanted to go to Bass pro shops today to get our kid's picture taken with Santa when they opened. So I did not get back to the shop until almost 2pm. Rode the elevator eleven times, 10 bucks at the shooting gallery, two trips on the bear and deer merry go round and picture with Santa. I was hardly fit for work. Got a good pic with Santa though.

All the mechanical is done and mounted, about a quarter of the wiring/harnessing is done. Probably another two days at least. Under estimated yet again. I'll post some pics later.

Tommy

WSS
12-03-2011, 01:13 AM
Here are some pics of the current progress. Basically, the table is wired and harnessed. The X axis cable carrier is tight. It may have to have the heat resistant material removed if it does not loosen up a bit. I may use 3/16" fuel hose to save some room too on that section. The Y axis cable carrier was fine, it had quite a few less things running through it. The carriers have the heat material on both sides cut into 2.125" strips. The section were the cables transition between Y and X have a short run of 1.5" split loom to protect the cables and hoses. It should be much more protected now.

Everything feels solid with the pinions pressurized, no play at all. Still have lots to go with the wiring of stuff off the table.

WSS

WSS
12-10-2011, 06:02 PM
The project is pretty much complete know. I have done some test cuts with it from tap files generated from we-cim and they cut great.

A big thanks to Gary @ we-cim! He hooked up to our PC and had the new poster ready to roll in no time at all. When it was done he said to give it a try, well I was a bit timid at this point as I had not been able to cut anything sucsessfully to that point (that is another story, router files don't respond like a plasma file). I hit run and sparks flew, finished the cut and retracted and went to the next spot and repeated with zeal. I have played with it some more and found it to be really smooth and quick. I'll post some pics of the finished machine later this week.

WSS

gwittlock
12-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Glad to hear everything is working for you WSS. Let me know if I can be of any assitance to you.

Gary

millman52
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
The project is pretty much complete know. I have done some test cuts with it from tap files generated from we-cim and they cut great.

A big thanks to Gary @ we-cim! He hooked up to our PC and had the new poster ready to roll in no time at all. When it was done he said to give it a try, well I was a bit timid at this point as I had not been able to cut anything sucsessfully to that point (that is another story, router files don't respond like a plasma file). I hit run and sparks flew, finished the cut and retracted and went to the next spot and repeated with zeal. I have played with it some more and found it to be really smooth and quick. I'll post some pics of the finished machine later this week.

WSS
Tommy,

Well where is the updated progress!!!!! If you're like me it's been like trying to hang wallpaper with one arm tied behind your back.

WSS
02-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Right on the money. As soon as it was completed it was back to work for it and then onto the next project. It has been a busy machine lately. It runs like a champ. smooth on both the high and low ipms. The float head is a nice feature, no more bad pierces. I just did a separate screen for oxy and am much happier with the remote Z control. Much less slag and dross too, that tells me the old system was lagging on accel. and I did not notice it. Straight line was fine but the intricate stuff was a bear to clean, now the book speeds are wire brush clean up and out the door they go. I plan too do a new thread over on the plasma project log forum (It has very little Dynatorch left in it) and give it a run down of the new system and the different components. I should of done it when it was fresh and clean. It has a few miles on it already, I would say it is broke in now. Three little bugs are now gone, vanished. One was the espII would shut down (load fault) if I jogged both X and Y at the same time, Break-in I assume. The other was the torch would attempt to fire while jogging around, again, gone. The third was a jump in feedrate to 300% of the going rate, it to is gone, probably fixed by a new plug-in, but may have been that break-in too.

VERY happy.

Did you take the plunge on a new table yet?

WSS

millman52
02-04-2012, 06:14 AM
No New table as yet. The shop has literally been running at near capacity. Couple that with employee absenteeism. There just aren't enough hours in a day.

RichInSpirit
12-09-2012, 06:36 PM
I've read this full thread and I am doing a bit of reading between the lines in it.

How are you getting on with your newest machine WSS ? From what I can make out Mach 3 is the controller that you are using now ?

WSS
12-15-2012, 12:11 AM
I've read this full thread and I am doing a bit of reading between the lines in it.

How are you getting on with your newest machine WSS ? From what I can make out Mach 3 is the controller that you are using now ?

It is working great. No more downtime or expensive repairs! At the rate I was going, the cost of the retro-fit has paid for itself AND provides better cuts and that darn feedback/stall sensing/consumable trashing THC is gone. The new system still uses we-cim (Dt's strong point) to post. The servos we are using now are nema34 frame as opposed to the nema23, big difference in performance and capabilities. I slowed the top end down to 680ipm as 1K was way too fast anyhow, the torque is amazing. It cuts as good at 4ipm as it does at 150ipm. I did swap over to a Duramax torch and it really straightens out the bevel on small holes to less than a degree on half inch small holes. The consumable life is pretty impressive too. I did 1408 pierces on two sets of 65amp consumables doing 16mm holes in half inch.

To be straight out, the DT (we had) is probably OK if you do a few hours a week cutting (provided you are not losing motors on a regular basis) but it is not in the least an industrial machine. The gantry is good and I like the air preload but the rack is turned the wrong way and constantly needs to be brushed, it is ridged enough though to keep up with the new systems torque and duty cycle. The master side vee bearing apparatus is still tweaked from the original systems desire to not turn the same as the slave, but seems to have found it's groove LOL. When it starts to stick or show other signs of failure, I will re do it a little different but for know it works ok.

WSS

gwittlock
12-18-2012, 06:33 PM
WSS

Do you need any changes to the post?

WSS
12-19-2012, 12:08 AM
WSS

Do you need any changes to the post?

Gary, good to hear from you! Merry Christmas. I do need some changes but I am in the mode of "if it is working don't mess with it". I will need to ship out the DTHC board for a firmware flash and upgrade to the latest version of Mach3, Both items that are free but take a "commitment". I should pull it down over Christmas/New Year week as we will be on holiday anyway. I'll keep you posted (no pun intended)

Tommy

RichInSpirit
03-23-2013, 01:52 AM
Hi WSS. I'm just doing a bit of browsing here and looking at other alternatives besides the SmartMotors for my Dynatorch in case of future failure.
I hope you don't mind me asking, did you go with http://machmotion.com or http://www.candcnc.com/ as your replacement cnc system ?
Thanks !

WSS
03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi WSS. I'm just doing a bit of browsing here and looking at other alternatives besides the SmartMotors for my Dynatorch in case of future failure.
I hope you don't mind me asking, did you go with http://machmotion.com or http://www.candcnc.com/ as your replacement cnc system ?
Thanks !

We are using the CandCnc stuff. It has been flawless for a year and a a half now. I chose to use the PlazPak4 (5 ready) servo system becuase (at the time) it was the only servo system offered by them. It uses nema34 motors for the X and Y and a stout nema23 for the Z. They now have a nema 23 system that will drop right on your gearboxes. That alone will save you a lot of money and time. Oddly enough, one of the best features of the system is the hand pendant. The only thing it wont do is load the code. The floating head Z also triples the consumable life over the force feedback of the dynatorch. ZERO repair cost so far ZERO is a big thing for us. I am no longer afraid to cut or walk away from the machine fore fear of losing a grand.

Let me know if you need any more info, I would be glad to help.

Tommy

WSS
07-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Just thought I would give an update on the retro fit we did 6 years ago.

At the time Dynatorch was using the animatics servos and refusing to fix the problem. They decided to change to a different system and let the existing Dynatorch table users on their own with no resolution or solution other than buy into the new system. We had already accumulated $2.2k in shipping cost plus over $8k in motor costs. My decision to leave the dynatorch platform was based on a motor I sent directly to animatics for a analysis of the failure. Animatics in no uncertain terms laid the fault on the manufacturer claiming the motor was "backdriven" and reverse voltage applied.

Dynatorch had no solution, mechanical, technical or financial for us or the MANY other users claiming the same issues.

I enlisted the help of Tom Caudle from CandCnc and he steered me to a servo system called the PlazPak4+. I am running said system today. any problems I have encountered have been user error (or stupidity ??) on my part . Zero warranty claims, zero tech support after system was installed. Six years now. I still run the same table everyday.

It just works! It has some odd behaviors, such as being bluetooth intolerant, but cuts the same or better as the day it made it's first cuts. No tuning needed to switch between 10ipm oxy cuts or 180ipm on thin aluminum.

A simple update to our hard working system.

Cheers!

WSS

PlasmaGuy
07-10-2017, 05:09 PM
Just thought I would give an update on the retro fit we did 6 years ago.

At the time Dynatorch was using the animatics servos and refusing to fix the problem. They decided to change to a different system and let the existing Dynatorch table users on their own with no resolution or solution other than buy into the new system. We had already accumulated $2.2k in shipping cost plus over $8k in motor costs. My decision to leave the dynatorch platform was based on a motor I sent directly to animatics for a analysis of the failure. Animatics in no uncertain terms laid the fault on the manufacturer claiming the motor was "backdriven" and reverse voltage applied.

Dynatorch had no solution, mechanical, technical or financial for us or the MANY other users claiming the same issues.

I enlisted the help of Tom Caudle from CandCnc and he steered me to a servo system called the PlazPak4+. I am running said system today. any problems I have encountered have been user error (or stupidity ??) on my part . Zero warranty claims, zero tech support after system was installed. Six years now. I still run the same table everyday.

It just works! It has some odd behaviors, such as being bluetooth intolerant, but cuts the same or better as the day it made it's first cuts. No tuning needed to switch between 10ipm oxy cuts or 180ipm on thin aluminum.

A simple update to our hard working system.

Cheers!

WSS
Thanks for the update. I recall your headaches the DT. That poor support sours a guy from ever going back to the table.

Tom Caudle understands customer service too
😉.

Tom Pace

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Torchhead
07-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the update. I recall your headaches the DT. That poor support sours a guy from ever going back to the table.

Tom Caudle understands customer service too
😉.

Tom Pace

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wow WSS, you still using that plasma every day? :eek: Someday if you ever decide you might want to upgrade it to a later control system get in touch with me. The controls have evolved and the Software, and hardware are all in their 5th generation. We went to LINUX over a year ago and the current DTHCIV is many times faster and more responsive than the MACH3 version you are running.

WSS
08-09-2017, 02:37 AM
Wow WSS, you still using that plasma every day? :eek: Someday if you ever decide you might want to upgrade it to a later control system get in touch with me. The controls have evolved and the Software, and hardware are all in their 5th generation. We went to LINUX over a year ago and the current DTHCIV is many times faster and more responsive than the MACH3 version you are running.

I know it's coming. I'm still running xp and an old refurbed dell optiplex you sold with the unit. Will your new system work with my Hypertherm 1650 (running a duramax torch)?

gwittlock
08-09-2017, 04:17 AM
Hi WSS,

Give me a call and let me know if I can help with anything.

It's been awhile since we talked and I'm just curious how everything is going

Gary Wittlock

Torchhead
08-09-2017, 12:56 PM
I know it's coming. I'm still running xp and an old refurbed dell optiplex you sold with the unit. Will your new system work with my Hypertherm 1650 (running a duramax torch)?

YEP!. In fact we can probably just update the front end controls and you can continue to use the power section , drivers and motors.

WSS
09-24-2017, 10:15 PM
Hi WSS,

Give me a call and let me know if I can help with anything.

It's been awhile since we talked and I'm just curious how everything is going

Gary Wittlock

Hello Gary! Everything is going good. V21 is getting easier for me know. Once I realized that I was still referencing v20 database, all the lights turned green.

When our shop slows a bit this winter, I'll connect with you for some short(er) cut training.

WSS

WSS
09-24-2017, 10:25 PM
YEP!. In fact we can probably just update the front end controls and you can continue to use the power section , drivers and motors.

I need to do this soon. I have threatened to quit cutting a few times lately to focus on managing our Carbide surfacing shop, but some job shows up that I cannot refuse ($$) and off I go cutting again.

gwittlock
09-25-2017, 01:37 AM
I need to do this soon. I have threatened to quit cutting a few times lately to focus on managing our Carbide surfacing shop, but some job shows up that I cannot refuse ($$) and off I go cutting again.

HI WSS,

As always I will be ready when you are. I will be waiting for your call.