PDA

View Full Version : hi everyone.

Epik
02-24-2005, 06:54 PM
hey everyone,

I don't mean to sound cheesy or anythign and it probably seems liek that by my profile. But I don't want to come across as anythign I am not. I am nothing more than a driven 15 year old who is already in the machining field and needs as much help as possible. I am currently employed in amachine shop to do everythign from floor work-to maching-to cnc programming- to office work. I need all the information and wisdom I can get from any of you, and any connections and/or "training". In a few years I plan on starting my own company and I need to quickly understand as much in the field as possible to make this goal come true.

If any of you have any suggestions or ideas or places or books or programs you beleive may help me.... PLEASE feel free to tell me, I am always open to new knowledge.

Thanks,

Tyler Dwight Shinaberry

ynneb
02-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Hey welcome Tyler, I am sure that once you start reading some of the threads in this forum You will learn heaps. Its nice to see a young lad who is interested in such things.
You may find that many of us here are crusty old farts. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We will keep an eye out for you and try to answer all your questions.

You can call me Benny :)

Epik
02-24-2005, 07:35 PM
lol hi benny.... thanks a lot , I walked in to a shop to interview a company for a report on what shops were like and to get a tour. I let with a job :idea: so not only do I have the stress of learning all the CNC things now at the speed of light I also have to learn all the important floor work. which involves putting up with hellion students. The company I am plannning on starting is gonna be an added bonus because my senior teacher might leave teaching to help me out because fo his health from all the stress. so who knows..... this could be interesting....and just so u know.... some farts do smell like roses.... you seem like one of them. :)

ynneb
02-24-2005, 07:44 PM
and just so u know.... some farts do smell like roses.... you seem like one of them.
Mate, I am yet to smell a rose scented fart, definately none of mine, thats for sure.

What sort of company do you want to start?
Gee I wish I knew what I wanted to do at your age.
You sound like you have your head screwed on the right way.
At your age I would have picked a job that involved random acts of vandalism, not anything productive. :)

Epik
02-24-2005, 08:36 PM
I want to make my total comapny... epik creations basically own many comapnies but leave the workers and owners who r already there... there. This would allow for me to pick n chose workers from different companies in related fields to train the other comapnies in their fortes and vise versa. I could then use different smaller comapnies under my main company to break down large jobs. I want to own companies from ... agricultural, to metal working, to civil, to architecture, from the bottom up from laborers to engineers. My ultimate goal is to create colonies of businesses into large towns self effiecent upon themselves to grow based upon the heart of the businesses...... the machining factories. This would also allow for my workers to recieve the utmost attention as they go along life's journey. Even if i had 10,000 employees i would want to know each of them on a personal level and help them in anyway possible. my ocmapnies motto is simple.... "Building empires; leaving legacies" I live my life as altruistic as possible..... and try and live my lfie as a library for others to use because of the informtaion I have from others.

My idea for the present to start all thsi si to use predator software or a similar to monitor EVERY machine shop around charging them as fit apporpriately for their size. To monitor them from tool crib...to downtime...to insufficent workers. sort of a babysitting comapny. I plan on doing this via the web but travelling to meet with the owners to epxlain my findings.

This is not a dream..... this is a goal. The law of the universe says basically if u think it..... it will be true. I hav faith in myself therefore i hav faith in God therefore I know it will happen. But god doesnt give things..... u hav to work with everyone you can to EARN these things...... this is why i desire help so greatly. :)

ynneb
02-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Nice aspirations Tyler.

I have faith in myself therefore i hav faith in God therefore I know it will happen

I dont have faith in myself, though I do have faith in God. Left to my own devices I am a failure, but with Gods help we can all be winners.

I think I know what you are saying, You trust in the gifts God has given you, and you trust that God will help you along the way. It is your aspiration to be a good boss instead of been a greedy self serving boss. You want to be a blessing to mankind instead of just existing on this earth just to serve yourself. You want to leave this earth a better place than it was before you came here.

Stick to your dreams Tyler, and along the way keep calling out to God for guidance and strength. I am sure that God smiles upon you even now, not because of anything you have done, or want to do, but just because he recons your great. Oh and one thing to remember, God does give things.

Epik
02-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Benny...... you may be 89....and have a few more years on you but this little realization may help you as well as everyone else. I just woreded it the other day lol.

"One must have faith in ones self because we are all created in the image of the one who is perfect whom we have faith in, if one does not have faith in the abilities of the perfections of one's self then one does not believe he is created in the image of something perfect."

Epik
02-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Benny...... you may be 89....and have a few more years on you but this little realization may help you as well as everyone else. I just worded it the other day lol.

"One must have faith in ones self because we are all created in the image of the one who is perfect whom we have faith in, if one does not have faith in the abilities of the perfections of one's self then one does not believe he is created in the image of something perfect." :idea:

Dan B
02-25-2005, 06:57 AM
Hi Epik,

Faith in yourself and God is great, but on the practical side, you will need more than that to succeed in your goals. You will also need more than some pointers from on-line forums. To succeed in the machining world, you should serve an apprenticeship and get your papers. I don't know how it is in the US, but here in Canada it takes 4 years. I would also suggest getting your papers in tool and die or moldmaking rather than general machinist (no offense intended to any machinists out there). In our area, general machinist papers will not get you in the door of some major companies, but tool and die or moldmaker papers will.

Once you do this and have gained some valuable experience and insight, some business training at university or college level would be necessary. The business world can be pretty "cut-throat" and for a person such as yourself with morals and a sense of decency, you need to be prepared for what faces you.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Swede
02-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Hi Epik, may I respectfully add to what Dan has said. I think a well-rounded machinist will have a solid foundation in manual work, manual meaning non-CNC equipment, tooling, techniques, etc. You'll need to be able to discuss various alloys, the merits of 12L14 vs 4340, and why 2024 and 7075 aluminum are stronger than 6061, and why certain alloys weld better, etc. This knowledge will also allow you to provide input to an engineer, who may not understand (or care) about how a minor re-engineering can reduce the machining operations by several times over. The list is long. Even if you ultimately become the boss, being able to create a mental picture of a manual machine process will make you a better judge of CNC, and overall shop operations.

There is no better way to do this than get your hands greasy, and adding to what I've said, get them greasy on a manual Bridgeport and a big ol' engine lathe before punching "GO" buttons on a VMC.

Best of luck to you, it is nice to see youngsters pursuing industrial arts. That is one strength that the German school system has, their industrial track, whereby guys who aren't going to be stock brokers pursue early experience in just the kind of stuff you refer to.

DareBee
02-25-2005, 09:55 AM
Getting repetitive here but I VERY srongly agree with the sentiments of Dan and Swede.
I also feel that all mechanical engeineers should have to have a blue collar trade as part of their degree as well, no offence but mostly for the reasons similar to Swedes comment.
A lot of my customers can't believe that I have no "engineering" training when they see my machine designs; but as a Tool & Die maker and an Industrial Mechanic I spent a lot of years on shop floors building equipment and tooling which developed my knowledge base.
I agree with the old adage "knowledge is power" or at the very least it is comforting.

Epik
02-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks alot guys... I appreciate all the information a lot. I am attending vocational school to receive my knowledge on the "ol' engine lathe" and the Bridgeport. What I need to know is just how to receive "papers" for apprenticeship. In a way it is what I do at my job by "conferencing" with my seniority at work who are teaching me how to do all of these things. As a matter of fact I will be the first to say i've grown up in the business and political world with my dad standing by his side. Thankfully also mechanics have been a gift of mine from an extremly young age. Its hard to find me not working on my tractor or shinig my tools on a bolt or something along that nature. =)

Another question is I don't like the college environment what-so-ever and it has never appealed to me but I plan on doing online courses through the Ohio State university for my Fisher's Degree fo Business. I would also like to do onlien courses for mechanical engineering and architectural along with some law basics and civil engineering. My last year fo highschool will involve vocational lab, work, and getting a license under Engineering Drafting. I know it is only a start, but perhaps you guys could recommend some people or colleges in the online world who would be willing to help a little. I despise the fact fo going to college but I understand that in this world, a piece of paper from a college goes a long way.

This is going to sound wrong and as an American I am in no way condeming my country but foreign countires have the right idea on ecuation and career status. I feel Americans are too comfortable with their status in the industry and that in a way puts us in the back of the line. The comapny I wish to uphold will hopefully consist of engineerign depts. in Germany. Can I blame myself for thinking this? I think not. I greatly admire the works and dedication the foreign countires of the world have to their work, and for that.... I praise all of you=).
I plan on learning to speak German...if anyone has some advice on that.... Hit me up please=)

Thank you,

Tyler Dwight Shinaberry

skippy
02-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Don't be too quick to think that things are better elsewhere. That the grass is greener on the other side. It isn't. USA might have it's faults but you'd be surprised how well organised it is industrially. If there's a need, someone's there to fill that need. To give you an example, I'd imagine that in the USA that businesses wouldn't survive without a listing in the Yellow Pages. Here in Spain and in Belgium where I lived before, the participation rate of businesses that advertise in Yellow pages is about 18%, very few people signwrite their business vehicles, almost no one has business cards. "2nd Call Waiting", what's that? Answering machines, no way. If the phone's engaged it means that the line is busy and if no one answers it means they're not there. Don't be too hasty!
Skippy

Epik
02-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Dear Skippy and too all foreigners at that,

america is nothing more than a land of all foreign countries coming together to succed in business and in life. What you don't get to see and what many people of the USA don't get to see are the present generations who have been spoiled by the prosperity of the determination of the many foreign nations coming together as one to make something for themself. My generation alone is extremely lazy for the most part in their ways, people expect everythign to be handed to them. The people who feel this way have never had the necessity of being able to NOT have vast opportunities.

So I say this not to come across as putting down what you said, but green grass can turn brown very easily if not maintained. If you do not know what you have you can't appreciate it. Everything Skippy explained out is just a prime example of how people in the USA take what we created as granted. Our blessings may very weel be our downfall, and I pray with all I got that that never happens. So may it be seen that that is what I adore of the "smaller" if you will, coutnries of the world....... They have desire because they have to progress to survive. We as a nation I feel are beginning to lose the emotions that made us what we are, and I feel that that is destructive.

Epik

xflukec
05-03-2005, 06:08 AM
To Epik. It is good to be young and to aspire to all our dreams however reality must come to the front. To realise our dreams we must all realise how fallible we are, to succeed in life we must all work hard to attain our needs and those of others before we can succeed. To be successful in life you must have a sound education and put in a lot of effort to learn the trade and this equates to a lot of years. Experience does not come overnight.Regards Wayne

skippy
05-03-2005, 06:39 AM
"My generation alone (USA) is extremely lazy for the most part in their ways, people expect everythign to be handed to them"
Epik, if what you say is true, then on an individual basis that's actually a good thing. Why? Because even people of modest talent (I'm not referring to you) get to succeed when they're surrounded by laziness.

Epik
05-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys for all the great advice. It really helps. The thing is, I have been thrown a curve ball. The shop floor is sooooooo boring for production that I have decided to get into MDC and DNC very heavily. I have an oppurtunity to start the corporate technolgy dept at a multi million dollar shop. ANY INFO FOR PREDATOR AND MDC WOULD BE A GODSEND! I am gettin some big chances at a young age....I could never handle this alone. All of you here at CNC ZONE.....have been great mentors and GREAT help in keeping my hot head cool and strait. Thank you all so very much.

Dan B
05-04-2005, 05:38 AM
I have the Predator machine simulation software for 5-axis machining. It's horrible. I'm not sure how their DNC software is, but if it's anything like what I've seen you should look elsewhere. We use XpertDNC, and it works very well.

Dan

Epik
05-09-2005, 10:26 PM
:confused: thanks for the tip.......who else do you know of does MDC?