PDA

View Full Version : CNC Router Bits

spincaster
07-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I just built a small cnc router mostly for the purpose of machine carving model ship/boat hulls and parts. Think lots of organic shapes with long flowing curves but with the occassional sharp edge. These are fairly complex shapes requiring some accuracy and good finish.

I have just run some test parts using a standard HSS 1/2" ball end mill. I need to stay withy a 1/2" shank since I am using a Bosh router for a spindle. I am using a horizontal roughing cut and then a paralell finishing cut programed in my CAM software.

I have little experience with carbide. Is carbide going to be as sharp and stay as sharp longer than HSS? What are the best end mills or bits for what I am making?

Any insight on cutting bits would be appreciated!

TIA,

Jack

Montabelli
09-14-2009, 10:47 PM
ballend mills and most carbide cutters I have used over the years have insufficient relief angel. this can be remedied by regrinding the tip of the cutter to remove material behind the cutter edge. on carbide if you carry the relief angle from the side of the cutter around the tip so that it is concentric to the radius of the tip, it seems to improve the cut quality as well as increasing cutter life.

Big-tex
12-11-2009, 08:07 AM
I also use Bosch router for spindle ann use 1/4 and 1/8 dia tool.
Look at www.precisebits.com thay sell collet set.
here is direct link http://www.precisebits.com/gateways/ColletsNutsHome.htm

spincaster
12-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi Tex,

Thanks for the info!

I ended up making a collet sleave for 3/16" shank bits from K&S brass and it works great.

Jack