PDA

View Full Version : CNC Router Kit Form

xtaffy
02-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

Are there any kit form/self build machines available. I would appreciate any help from you guys.

cncadmin
02-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Their are machines that you have to assemble, are you looking for a kit with all the raw materials to machine and assemble? Their are many plans you can get but you have to acquire all the material and machine the part that will make you the machine.

xtaffy
02-17-2005, 01:44 AM
I am unable to machine, well, at the moment anyway. I just appreciate that sometimes purchasing a machine can be more beneficial, but to save some money I would like to assemble it myself.

Hobbiest
02-17-2005, 02:20 AM
What if any tools do you have or can you use? What size machine do you want to build? What do you want to do with it? Have you looked into tool co-ops or trade schools and junior colleges? You shouldn't need too many special tools. I am building a small aluminum machine with a drill press and a few bits, a hand grinder, a skill saw, and using a bandsaw at a friends shop every once and a while. It can definately be done with a minimum of tools.
Cheers,
Jens

cbass
02-17-2005, 08:11 AM
I don't know how well this company is regarded but try this:

http://www.durhamrobotics.com/

Great documentation online, and everything is included in the kit. The only thing you need is access to a drill press (they even pre-drill everything for you).

pen25
02-17-2005, 09:19 AM
I am just wondering if anyone has thought about asking 8020 to kit out a design. a 12x24 table. a generic design and that way all one would need is the motors and drivers.. and even if yo didnt want to use thier slides maybe making a second set that includes plans for other types of slides.I have been a reading fool trying to get as much information as possible. and i think i am going to be asking 8020 to kit my design and just see how much they are going to charge for that. If all else ill make me a manual mill using a cross table and a drill press to be able to square up the ends.

I do agree with going to a local community college. most have machine shops and are usualy looking for small projects like these things.

kywoodwrkr
02-17-2005, 03:26 PM
And what's an 8020?
Or did I miss too many lectures?
DaveP

ger21
02-17-2005, 03:55 PM
http://www.8020.net/

kywoodwrkr
02-17-2005, 04:01 PM
I think I thank you!
Will depend on just how much stuff I find I can't live without.
This is not a good forum for those of us suffering from impulsive compulsive disorders! :-)
Seriously, Thanks.
DaveP