PDA

View Full Version : router

extreme
02-13-2005, 05:56 AM
Hello,
I'm buiding a cnc router (table 80x80 cm). I was planning to cut and mill wood and alu. An experienced man (woodworker) told me tha wood needs 30k rpm to have a nice finish, but alu needs 3k max. I also saw some pics in the gallery, someone uses 900 Kress for cutting alu ? I suppose it has lots of rpm. So I need an advice, what would fit my needs if i want to mill wood and alu (rpm). Also i would like what motors for spindle ar you using or tools.

Robert

P.S. what is the difference between a mill and a router?

ger21
02-13-2005, 09:43 AM
IF you use 30,000 rpm for wood, it's very likely you'll get burning. Also, the size of the tool makes a difference. Larger tools need lower rpm's, because the cutting edges are spinning faster. Depending on the tooling used, aluminum can be cut using anywhere from 2000 to 20,000+ rpm. Tooling designed to be used in routers spin a lot faster than standard aluminum endmills.

Go to http://www.onsrud.com, and download there catalogs. The catalogs contain charts with recommended chip loads. Chipo load is determined by the number of flutes a tool has, as well as feed speed an rpm. If your router doesn't move very fast, you'll need to use lower rpm's.

Usually a mill is smaller than a router, and much sturdier. Mills are typically used for cutting metal, and routers for cutting wood

extreme
02-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Thank's for reply. The person who told me that wood requires 30K is in woodowrking for some time now, he is using a manual mill (like kress, bosch...), it turns 33k, i have seen the result ( You may also on your wooden furniture), no sanding needed. What in your opinion is the best speed for wood. Are 2-20k rpm for cuting and milling or just for cutting.
What i'm aiming for is something between a mill and a router (a very good router or a poor mill =] ), cnc will be steel with some wooden table covering, averything runs on bearings. I may be not to clear, because I don't know your therms too much (i'm not english)

Thanks for your replies,
Robert

ger21
02-13-2005, 11:37 AM
It really depends on a few different things. mostly tool diameter and feed speeds. Ideally you'd want variable speed. For wood you'd want from about 12-14k up to 25k rpm

extreme
02-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Ok, thanks again, i'l buy myself a manual wood mill and put it on my router. It has variable speed.