PDA

View Full Version : Want to Build a Wood Router

eqreservoir
02-11-2005, 11:40 PM
I've been collecting a few parts so I can build a CNC wood router. I've been reading the post in regards to this new found (for me) obsession. I now have my first (of many) question.

What I found at the goodwill today was a sharp copier SF2022 for $20.00. The copier, a floor type, stands about three foot and is
3ft x 2ft and has a collator and 3 paper drawers. Would this be a good source for steppers and parts for a DIY CNC router?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you. HTj

cncadmin
02-12-2005, 12:14 AM
They may be OK depending on what you plan on cutting, those stepper motor may not have much torque for you.

eqreservoir
02-12-2005, 12:54 AM
Thank you for your answer. I was afraid that they wouldn't have the torque for a router. That's why I thought I would ask before I bought.
I plan on building a moving gantry router with a cutting surface of 48" X 36". the table frame out of steel tubing and the gantry using the concepts in JRGO plans on this site.
Thanks again.
HTj

CNC Darren
02-12-2005, 01:21 AM
You might want to take a look and see if that copier has a document feeder on top. I have pulled apart some older Sharp copiers (not sure of the model number off hand) but some use dc brushed motors (sharp 3062 I know for sure) or steppers. The steppers that I pulled from one of the copiers is rated at 118 oz/in and I am currently using them on my JGRO router.

Darren