PDA

View Full Version : Problem Are Ball End Bits Available

Easydad
05-01-2009, 09:01 PM
I've been looking for .5" round ball end router bits. Amana is the only mfg. listed in the searches I've tried. I also looked for 12mm ball end router bits. The project I have to complete needs a .5" round by .5" tall slot that will hold a tight tolerance to a stock .5" aluminum rod.
With the Amana bits, you have the option of 7/16" tall cut by .5" round or
.625" tall cut by .5" round. The problem is the height of the cut is not the same as the diameter of the ball.

Anyone know of a .5" x .5" round ball head cutter.

ger21
05-01-2009, 09:13 PM
http://eagleamerica.com/plunge-cutting-ball-cutter/p/130-2615/

awerby
05-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I've been looking for .5" round ball end router bits. Amana is the only mfg. listed in the searches I've tried. I also looked for 12mm ball end router bits. The project I have to complete needs a .5" round by .5" tall slot that will hold a tight tolerance to a stock .5" aluminum rod.
With the Amana bits, you have the option of 7/16" tall cut by .5" round or
.625" tall cut by .5" round. The problem is the height of the cut is not the same as the diameter of the ball.

Anyone know of a .5" x .5" round ball head cutter.

You don't have to sink the tool into the stock to the full depth of the
flute(s). In fact, it's better if you don't, but just make sure you're half an inch down from the zero point you touched off to, at the top of the stock. If you actually used a .5" deep cutter, then if you were a little too deep you'd have an edge at the top of your cut that would keep your rod from fitting. Usually, after the round edge at the bottom, the tool will be vertical for a little bit, so you have a little leeway.

Rounded router bits, by the way, aren't usually called "ball end". Look for "cove" or "D" bits and you might have better luck.

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com