PDA

View Full Version : OK what next ?

debogus
01-20-2005, 11:20 PM
After lurking here for several months , I think I'm ready to start something ?

I've already bought a Xylotex 3 Axis Drive Box w/ power maxII 116 oz steppers.
I've downloaded several demo CAM program's.

Think I want a dremel mdf router. But whats the longest travel that will work good with this stepper ?

Whats the opinion on 1/4-20 vs 1/4 -16 4 start acme lead screws ?

Thanks for any input

Dave

Hawkeye
01-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Dave,
Just back on the Board after a 1 year "Vacation".
I would suggest trying JGRO's design. It's pretty complete and it sounds like it has what you are looking for.

http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewfile&id=4

BTW - I just got Jeff's 4 Axis Unipolar Board from Xylotex....Pretty impressive work Huh?

Hope this Helps,
George

debogus
01-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Yeah I've already downloaded the plans and printed them out .
Looks very well thought out .
At this stage I think I'm going more along the drawer slide keep it simple version, to learn the basics on .After I get my feet wet , jgros plans will be next.

Any thought on the 1/4 16-4 start acme rod .To me the 1/4" per turn sounds better than the 1/20" per turn .
Although I imagine that the resolution and torque would suffer proportionally.
Still usable?

Thanks for your reply

Dave

ger21
01-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Resolution won't be a problem (If .00125 is good enough)but I doub't you'll have enough torque with those motors. You'll only have 1/5 the torque of the 1/4-20. You might want to look somewhere in between, like maybe 3/8-12? Maybe even try the single start 1/4-16. A lot of things are involved in the decision. How much weight do you have to move, how freely does it move ... With drawer slides, I'd say go with the 1/4-16 1 start. If you want to go any faster than that will go, you really would probably need bigger motors.

debogus
01-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Yep thats what I thought .
Just had to ask. :rolleyes:
thank you

Dave