PDA

View Full Version : Possible OT: Fab Aluminum washer

kellogs72
01-19-2005, 06:29 PM
For a project I am working on I require some steel or aluminum washers. I have contacted several companies that can produce washers to specification but that ends up costing me close to $4.00 per piece. Cannot afford such an expense.

The size I am looking for would a inside diameter of .875", outside diameter of 1.8" and about .095" thick. I already have in my hands some square aluminum pieces that have the desired inside diameter and thickness but they are 2" X 2" square. Trying to figure out how to remove the corners and get it round. The blue line in the pic represents what I want to be left with after removing everthing outside the line. Can this easily be done?

kong
01-20-2005, 08:33 AM
I don't know a great about it, but what about using a hydraulic punch? I take it you can buy or make a die easy enough?

coherent
01-20-2005, 08:52 AM
If you can find some fender washers with the outside diameter you need, just drill your 5/8's ID on the drill press... it just depends on how critical your thickness requirement is. Check the mini lathe section. I have a lathe and it would be a fairly simple operations to machine some fender washers on the lathe to meet your specifications. It would be a bit time consuming depending on how many you need and how critial your tolerances are... but someone with a little time should be able to beat the cost you were quoted. Good luck
-marc

JFettig
01-20-2005, 09:10 AM
how many are you looking for? you could get a chunk of aluminum, turn it down, drill the hole and part it off a bunch of times...

Jon

Ken_Shea
01-20-2005, 10:49 AM
If you have a lathe it will be fairly simple.

Do you ?

pyroracing85
01-21-2005, 02:52 PM
i'll do it for you cheaper than 4 dollars for 1

pyroracing85
01-25-2005, 09:09 PM
i pmed you back. I'll do it half price than what they were asking. We'll make a deal out

-garrett