PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on components 5 axis control system?

pab
01-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Hello I am a real newbie!
And would appreciate some suggestions as I select the control system for the cnc router I just built.

I have been told to look for a controller that has simultaneous interpolation on all axes and has high block process speeds and look ahead capability. I am considering using the Mach2 or 3 but I need to figure out the components I need to make it run.

I was going to buy a computer to operate the system.

1. Do you have any suggestions as to specifications to get the optimum preformance from your system? Does it matter the processor speed and if it is an Intel verses and Athelon processor?

I am not clear on how to put together a system using your control or what components to purchase.
2. What components I would need to purchase and possibly the names of the better quality components and those that may save me head aches down the road and be easy to install get operational?

I was planning to use AC brushless servo drives and considering Baldor motors with their Digital FlexDrive2 motor amplifiers. I am open to other suggestions. Or should I consider DC servos and how do they preformance ?

More background Info:
The machine is a 3 axis, and in the future 5 axis, router with a 4ft by 5 ft xy table and 30 in Z axis. It will have a 9hp spindle motor. The plan is to to do contour machining of larger parts in softer material. I have been told to look for a controller with has the capability to do similtainious interpolation on all axes and has high block process speeds, and look ahead capability. I am not looking for a high end solution but more moderate cost effective option with good technology and open control system. I am also open to suggestions on matching motors and drives.
Thanks for any suggestions you might provide. :)

The router is designed to cut at 400 inches per minute. I will start with the machine operating as 3 axis,
and in the future go to 5 axis. This router has 10mm pitch ballscrews 30mm dia. on xyz axes. The xy moving table is 4ft by 5 ft and 30 in Z axis.
It will have a 9hp spindle motor probably Colombo. I have OneCNC XR Cad/Cam that would be generating the tool paths in g code.
I would appreciate your input.
Peter