PDA

View Full Version : Acupro Vise

kenlambert
01-18-2005, 09:18 PM
is anyone useing an acupro vise and are they worth saveing 200.00 over the Kurt brand ?I need to get a good vise byt only know that the Kurt is top of the line ,but I am only doing hobbie stuff .

DareBee
01-19-2005, 09:38 AM
For home/hobby use I would definately buy a Kurt knockoff.
When you have employees you need to spend a little extra because the usually dont look after shop stuff the way they would if they had to buy it.

kenlambert
01-19-2005, 10:22 AM
is the accupro a kurt knock off worth buying ?

gus
01-19-2005, 06:55 PM
I have not bought the accupro vise, but buy their toololders etc and have had good luck. If you are buying through MSC if they have a location near you you might order it for pickup there if it is a POS then refuse it I think it will be fine

kenlambert
01-19-2005, 07:06 PM
there is an MSC in longview 100 miles one way but Enco has one on sale for 229.00 I may call msc and see if they have one in longveiw . I don't own a vice except what came with my smithy and HF mill which almost make good for a drill press . thanks for the help

DareBee
01-21-2005, 11:06 AM
I have no direct experience with Accupro, but generally speaking the "China" stuff is often imported and sold by dozens of tooling suppliers each having the same tool branded with their own name.
I do currently have a China knock-off which is an acceptable piece of equipment.

Swede
01-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Darebee, I'm glad your vise is good. I've bought two of the cheaper Chinese Kurt-clones, and my examples were innacurate. And an innacurate Kurt clone vise is an expensive paperweight without rework. A good and true vise is a joy to use; stock comes out square and parallel. Even a few thousandths out (and the Chinese vises were worse) really do render the vise useless except for imprecise work.

I've had great luck buying used Kurt vises on eBay. My prized vise is a Kurt 3". Yes a 3"!! :) Something you don't see every day, and no longer made.

3" and 4" are perfect for mill tables around 6" wide, and the cheaper 6" vises are tailored for BP-sized tables. Vise keys are extremely handy too, but the keys, like the vise, must be accurate or once again they are worthless.

I think Accupro has a good reputation, and may be better than the average Asian vise. But you should be able to pick up a cherry 6" Kurt for <$200 and it'll be better than most Asian vises.