PDA

View Full Version : A beginner question....cleaning my Taig

macdarren
04-16-2009, 08:03 PM
A new Taig owner here....

I am wondering how do you keep your taig Mills clean?
I have been looking at various photos as I figure out my limit/home switches.
And most of the pictures I see the machine looks almost new, hardly used.
Mine is almost new and doesn't look near as nice...so far I have just
been working in AL but I haven't found a good way to really clean up
the machine once I am done for the evening. The shop vac gets the bulk
of it but then even after that how do I get all the little shavings off. I tried
just wiping it down but alot still sticks, I thought maybe compressed air but
that has a big mess potential and I didn't want to blow stuff maybe someplace
it should not go. So how do I clean the thing up? The Screw covers especially
seem to not clean well short of washing them down with something.

Can someone give me some pointers....maybe I just don't spend the time but I got to think there must be a way of not spending an hour cleaning up.

Thanks
Darren

Hokan
04-17-2009, 12:23 AM
As far as what I personally do.... I just buy a bulk pack of little 1 1/2 or 2 inch paint brushes. Use them to sweep away the chips off the machine. Once they get all grungy with oil or have chips really caught up in them just pitch them and pull a new one from the pack. Just remember to try and work out the loose bristles on the new brush by pulling on the bristles so you don't get a ton of bristles all over the machine or into the gibs/axis screws.

Hirudin
04-17-2009, 01:15 AM
That sounds a lot like what I do. I bought a small brush/broom and dust pan at Harbor Freight for $1 (on sale), it works well! I rarely have used the dust pan for anything though. I'll see if I can find it on their web site...

Here it is! (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46191)

Jeff-Birt
04-17-2009, 08:45 AM
I like to start with a big shop vac and suck up as much stuff as possible. Then I'll brush off as much as I can with a paint brush/chip brush and a T-Slot cleaner. Next I wipe everything down with a clean, dry rag. When it is pretty clean I like to give it a good wipe down with a light oil to prevent oxidation.