PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Will dust from plasma collect on the surface of the material beeing cut?

vavido
04-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I´m planning a plasma table for mass production of rondels 600 mm dia from 1250 * 2500 mm sheets, blue anealed steel. The surface of the material is very smooth with a deep blue color, and I need to keep this finish. I haven´t been working with plasma-cutters before, and now I´m worried if the slag/ dust from the plasmacutter will collect on top of my material or if most of the slag/ dust will blown through the table. If the material gets dusty I´ll have a problem later when I´m working the material i a press (scratces in the material etc) and spotwelding it (scratches in the electrodes).

I want to make a automatic loading/ unloading system for my machine and I don´t have time to dust off each part. This is going to be a fully automatic factory. Yes!

vavido

millman52
04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
I´m planning a plasma table for mass production of rondels 600 mm dia from 1250 * 2500 mm sheets, blue anealed steel. The surface of the material is very smooth with a deep blue color, and I need to keep this finish. I haven´t been working with plasma-cutters before, and now I´m worried if the slag/ dust from the plasmacutter will collect on top of my material or if most of the slag/ dust will blown through the table. If the material gets dusty I´ll have a problem later when I´m working the material i a press (scratces in the material etc) and spotwelding it (scratches in the electrodes).

I want to make a automatic loading/ unloading system for my machine and I don´t have time to dust off each part. This is going to be a fully automatic factory. Yes!

vavido

I'm sure a good down draft table would minimise the dust. Murphy's law (If it can go wrong it will) dictates it will not be dust free under any circumstances.

Dustin407
04-15-2009, 09:44 PM
What type of material are you cutting? If it is steel you can run a peice of tube with magnets along the surface right before stacking... If it is automated loading you will have no problem mounting a row of magnets somewhere before the sheets are stacked. And Yes the magnets pick up every little bit of particles...

vavido
04-16-2009, 01:35 AM
The magnet thing is a good advice. Thanks! I´ll be cutting mild steel, 0.6 mm to 1.5 mm thickness. Perhaps the dust problem will be less siginficant compared to cutting 1/2" etc. I guess the torch must move quite fast on such thin material... Servos?

Vavido

Dustin407
04-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Servos or steppers would work... Plasma has no cut force on the head, so I would probably go with steppers... Just use a 4 to 1 gear or pulley reduction and your IPM shold be were you need it..