PDA

View Full Version : My new CNC-Router Almost done

anoel
01-12-2005, 09:33 PM
All I'm lacking is Home and Limit switches now. Take a peek.

cncadmin
01-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Nicely done! Looks like my first cnc machine I made, how does is cut?

Losos
01-12-2005, 09:43 PM
nice and clean looking... how much did it end up costing ya?

Hobbiest
01-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Is that machine from the HobbyCNC plans? Looks very nice and conservative, in a very good way...most machines are built too big "I need travel of 8 by 16 acres to engrave my PCB's" Looks good.

TinkerDJ
01-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Very nice and clean. Is it made out of mdf or plywood, is it from the free hobby plans? Very nice setup. Not meaning to ask many questions but i am just getting setup to start building my next router

anoel
01-13-2005, 09:17 AM
So far it cuts very good, I'll post some shots of stuff when I make something worth showing... And While it's not directly from the HobbyCNC plans, I did get some construction ideas from it. Yes it's made from Birch Veneered MDF. (Birch FiberCore I think they called it.) And regular MDF. It's a bit bigger than the HobbyCNC Machine at a 15"x26"x2" Cutting area. I'm using Prcecision Modified Acme Screws and AB Nuts from McMaster. I'm getting good rapids over 65 ipm with 100 OZ Motors and a HobbyCNC Chopper controller at 36V.

I was lucky to have my JCK CNC Router to make most of the Parts of this machine with. So construction was simple and accurate.

Kammo1
02-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Hi Anoel, this is my first post on this excellent forum and your machine and others like it is what I would like to build. The cutting area is EXACTLY what I am after and this looks like the one I want to make. Do you have any plans on this exact machine and parts list so I can build one like yours ? I would like to enter the realms of CNC machinining and this machine is what I have been after. Any advice or pointers I would greatly appreciate and pay for. Regards Kammo1

anoel
02-10-2005, 05:45 PM
This particular router would be rather difficult to make without the use of another CNC Machine. And the fact that some of the parts are "found" items I can't point you to where to get some of them. And plans are not something that I want to get into.

If you definitely want to build, I'd suggest starting with one of the **********, Hobby CNC, or the Free Router plans here. If you'd rather just get up and running with a CNC Router asap then the CNC Ready machines at K2CNC.com are excellent values.

Kammo1
02-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Many thanks for the reply. Yes I have seen the K2CNC site and have given this some serious consideration and the one that did tempt me was the 24x15 size one and I think the next size up would be to large for home use. As I live in the UK I would then have to enquire about shipping and also duty when it comes in and thats what swayed me into thinking that maybe I could build one for alot less, but then again the K2CNC has all the hard work done already, but the buzz I would get out of building my own would be awesomme and a great challenge but knowing the pit falls before hand and the proper guidance would surely save me alot of time. Also if I did go for the ready built frame from K2 what would you recommend for motors,power supply (UK uses 240V), and driver board ?? I have looked at the Stepperworld site and the Cruiser system complete sounds like a bargain, I plan to use a 1/4 inch router for large cutting and also have an adapter for running a Dremel tool for smaller engraving so any advice would be great. Kammo1

Kammo1
02-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi Anoel, what did you use for bearings on the X axis, Y axis and Z axis ? Also what is the width of your gantry and height ? If you could post this would help in me getting the plan and layout correct before I start building. I plan on using 1" linear rod for the X axis, 3/4" for the Y and Z axis, would this be ok or is it overdoing it ? Also what size MDF should I use for the project to gain maximum rigidity and also keeping the weight down to a minimum. Any help is greatly appreciated. Kammo1.

anoel
02-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Lets see... I think that the gantry is 20.5 inches wide and 14" high... Maybe...

The bearings I scored on ebay. From seller irvineman

http://stores.ebay.com/VXB-Bearings-Skateboard-and-Slotcar_Linear-Motion-Bearings_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

TinkerDJ
02-16-2005, 10:13 PM
I also bought 100 608ZZ bearings off vxb for 15us, only cost me 14.50 in shipping and they were here in just over a week. Definitly the best buy i found considering the local scate board shop wanted 2.50 each for the exact bearings.

They have an 8mm inner diameter but this is so close 5/16 its no problem using regular bolts. Having 100 of them it adds to the other hobbie stuff i'm working on. If you can put a call out and see who else needs some, the more you buy at one time the cheaper they are.

Kammo1
02-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi Anoel thanks for the advice. What actual width are the gantry sides sorry for not explaining it correctly in my post. Also what recommendations would you make for the MDF for this machine ? sorry for the Q&A but it sure would help a novice like me to get this right without too much hassle. Kammo1

anoel
02-17-2005, 11:56 AM
You can see al ittle more about the constuction here the base of the gantry is 7" and the total witdth is like 10" but your clearance for the Y carriage will dictate that.

http://home.insightbb.com/~nnoel/CNC/DCP_0672.JPG
http://home.insightbb.com/~nnoel/CNC/DCP_0673.JPG

Hobbiest
02-17-2005, 12:24 PM
That is a very well thought out and gorgeous design Nathan, good job! I am a big fan of curves instead of angles, much more organic looking. I especially like the way you triangulated the bracing in the gantry, and made the torsion box bracing notch in. That part kind of reminds me of a log cabin. What JCK did you use to cut these parts out? 7th?

anoel
02-17-2005, 12:45 PM
I built the gantry base bracing notched in so that I could easily ensure squareness of the Y axis to the X axis. It is as square as any of my measuring tools can indicate.

The JCK machine would be a hybrid of the 7th and the Pheonix. ( built the 7th and then took the Y&Z and changed it to a moving gantry a-la Pheonix only bigger.)

Kammo1
02-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Magnificent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have been a huge help in providing them pics now I can see the wood for the trees!!!!!!! That is pure craftmanship at its best I love it and I will be building one like this for sure. Kammo1

Kammo1
02-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Hi anoel, how did you fix the linear sleeve bearings to the MDF ??? any help would be greatly appreciated. Kammo1.

anoel
02-18-2005, 08:44 PM
They are a press fit. Very tricky to get in good alignment.

mrbaseball
10-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Lets see... I think that the gantry is 20.5 inches wide and 14" high... Maybe...

The bearings I scored on ebay. From seller irvineman

http://stores.ebay.com/VXB-Bearings-Skateboard-and-Slotcar_Linear-Motion-Bearings_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Are these the Miniature bearings like found in this ebay auctionn:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Skate-Ball-Bearings-608ZZ-Miniature-608-ZZ-608Z-2Z_W0QQitemZ7540530832QQcategoryZ25284QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

thanks

truman
10-19-2005, 01:01 AM
Hi I was just wondering what you used for your rods. That machine looks great also, nice job!

Jason Marsha
10-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I like the clean finish of your machine, it really looks professional.

Jason

mrbaseball
11-04-2005, 09:06 PM
How did you get the ends of your rod to say put in the hole ofthe gantry, and x axis. Are therods press fit?? or do you have some restraining method that is not obviously shown?? I justbought some 1 inch frill rod to use and wanted to know how to keep the ends in place without using the setscrew blocks at the ends of the axis. I like your clean look:)

Thanks