PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass + plastic molds

pyroracing85
01-12-2005, 06:59 PM
First of all can you do fiberglass molds? And second What would be a good machine that would mold me a 3 1/2 foot wide by 2 feet nose for a kart.

fyffe555
01-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi Pyro,

A machine to do this could be costly ($$$$) since you'd be cutting 3.5' by 2' and probably 1' ? What would you cut the mold from? What ever it might be expect a lot of handwork to finish the mold to a sufficiently decent finish afterwards. The cheapest way to machine it would probably be to build a machine to cut that worksize.

A traditional alternative is to make up the part (pattern) by hand in foam. Then if it's a one off use the foam shape as a male mold and lay up your fiberglass directly. If it's for more than one, take a mold off the pattern and get out the filler polish wax and pva.

Fiberglass Coatings inc on 28th st. in St. Petes is a good place for this stuff by the way, and they sell small quantities..

Andrew

Kmed
01-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Well being that I have made molds for and formed kart noses (renegade). You will need about a 5x4' machine with the ability to load the tool on a top platen to push the mold into the plastic. If you like www.theplasticman.com They can cut the mold and form it, or you may want to try www.targetdistributing.net they are in the kart business, and manufacture the renegade line. Fiberglass can be used, but if you plan on getting many parts, then aluminum, or ceramic tools are the way to go. Fiberglass would not last very long an would need significant bracing.

CNC Pro
01-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Hey pyroracing85,
I've been doing molds for a local composite shop. I've got an 8 foot long*26inch wide wing mold for a carbon fiber wing that went on a LeMans prototype Jaguar. We've done molds for formula atlantic & formula ford rear diffusers, and smaller wing designs. All made on my CNC Routers and made from MDF.

pyroracing85
01-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Hey pyroracing85,
I've been doing molds for a local composite shop. I've got an 8 foot long*26inch wide wing mold for a carbon fiber wing that went on a LeMans prototype Jaguar. We've done molds for formula atlantic & formula ford rear diffusers, and smaller wing designs. All made on my CNC Routers and made from MDF.

ohh wow who makes your cnc routher?

CNC Pro
01-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Hey pyroracing85,
I have 2 CNC routers. One is a modified Digital Tool with a 7'*14' table and 3-1/2 hp spindle. The other machine is a large format Larken CNC Router with a 5'*8' table, 10 hp spindle with 12 position automatic tool changer. Both machines have grid type vaccum tables.
The funny thing is I stopped by the composite shop today, and the were working on a mold for a carbon-fiber nose for a kart.

pyroracing85
01-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey pyroracing85,
I have 2 CNC routers. One is a modified Digital Tool with a 7'*14' table and 3-1/2 hp spindle. The other machine is a large format Larken CNC Router with a 5'*8' table, 10 hp spindle with 12 position automatic tool changer. Both machines have grid type vaccum tables.
The funny thing is I stopped by the composite shop today, and the were working on a mold for a carbon-fiber nose for a kart.
really! carbon fiber nose huh? AWESOME where is this place at? Have you ever heard of lighting light? Do you know how they make their bodies?

pyroracing85
01-22-2005, 12:36 PM
I discovered a process they use is r.t.m injection molding. How they do it I dont know. I made another post asking how they do it

CNC Pro
01-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Hey pyroracing85
Here's the web page for the shop I've done molds for:
http://www.pennon.com/
They were working on a carbon-fiber kart nose last week.

Sanghera
01-23-2005, 02:48 PM
What about just cutting foam for a mold then fiberglassing it. You could cut it on a small router that doesn't need that much Z axis height. Cut it in sections untill the desired height is achieved and glue the foam together.
Hope this helps. :)

pyroracing85
01-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey pyroracing85
Here's the web page for the shop I've done molds for:
http://www.pennon.com/
They were working on a carbon-fiber kart nose last week.

link doesn't work

CNC Pro
01-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Try:
http://www.pennon.com

pyroracing85
01-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Try:
http://www.pennon.com

got it . That stuff is amazing. How did you get into that stuff? How many years experience do you have?

High Seas
01-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Just guessing? Have you considered building the mold in sections and then assembling the "parts" to make the complete full up part? You could use a significantly smaller machine - but adds to your build time. Cheers - Jim