PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Main and Sub Spindle Cycle Times

danrudolph
04-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi,

I am fairly new to the swiss-type machines and I was wondering what is common with respect to trying to balance the cycle times for a given part on the main and sub spindles.

For instance, a 2" long part I am considering will require drilling on the main and sub spindles, which I can accomplish simultaneously. I am removing about .060" from the stock size to the finish diameter over the whole length of the part. Does it make sense to turn half the part down on the main spindle, feed out to the finished length of the part, part off then have the sub spindle do the OD turning on the back half of the part. I'd like to balance the spindles to have roughly the same cycle time.

Is my way of thinking correct or am I missing something?

bl409
04-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Dan,
I would do all of the turning on the main spindle to keep the part as concentric as possible but I have done turning on the sub with good results. You have to remember to figure in the part eject cycle with the other ops for the sub.

BL

billcain
04-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Under most circumstances with Swiss machines you want to make sure the main spindle has no downtime. Offloading what you can to the sub spindle is the way to save time. Newer Machines can do a lot more on the sub especially in the milling area. Turning is done much faster on the main side as you don't get the deflextion of the part like you do on the sub.