PDA

View Full Version : New to the Zone

Mastersniper
03-27-2009, 03:10 AM
thought I would post my hello while my mill is running it's first 'real' job. Just picked up my shiny (well it was before swarf started flying) Taig dsls on Tuesday. Bought it for PCB protos and RC stuff but of course the imagination has gone a bit crazy for the past few days :)

So far I cut some 1/2" HDPE for a table then cut out a .040 deep pocket that tightly fits my standard PCB size. I drop in a PCB and use a bit of blue painters tape just to make sure the edges dont pop up and have no lateral movement in either direction. 10 mill traces are clean and sharp, Can probably go down to 8-7mil if I need to for any reason.

I am really impressed with the dsls' accuracy and really low backlash straight from the box. It's cutting a PCB with a .015 endmill taking off the copper as I type this. Compared to my old 'dremel' rig this thing is so quiet, I walk into the next room and I can barely hear it. Yipeee not being forced to wear ear plugs for hours at a time (I am in a small condo so my mill is in the corner of my bedroom/computer room)

Jeff-Birt
03-27-2009, 10:04 AM
You'll generally have much better results using a 60 degree V tip bit for trace isolation. It will leave a much better edge on the copper. If your going to be doing a lot of PCB work it would be worth looking for the ZrN coated bits.

Mastersniper
03-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Jeff,
I have an order in for some 60 degree bits but thought I would give the little guy a run.

I thought the pocket was tight enough but ended up with the board shifting 5 mil 80% through the run :( guess I will have to tap some holes and actually use a strip clamp to hold it down in the future.

Does anyone have good starting point for feed rates, DOC, (I assume max,10k, rpm) using a 60 degree cutter with the DSLS system?

Jeff-Birt
03-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Start with feeding 0.001" per RPM (that comes out to 10IPM at 10K RPM). That is right at the sweet-spot for the 60 deg V-bit. You only need to go deep enough to get through the copper.

I should qualify that statement and say that the above information is the sweet-spot for these bits: http://soigeneris.com/buy/Precise_Bits/60_Degree_Mechanical_Etch_bit_606815.aspx; if your flute geometry differs you'll need to do some experimentation to find what works the best for them. The PreciseBits V-bits are optimized for trace isolation.