PDA

View Full Version : My New Power Supply for Wire

indycraft
03-23-2009, 01:43 PM
I work exclusively with polyurethane foam and have the proper ventilation to do so. This foam takes a higher temperature to cut and my commercially made supply would take for ever to burn through the large sheets while cutting those sheets into smaller pieces. This setup has a 60" nichrome wire.

I priced higher powered units and could only find suitable units that cost in excess of $450.

I took apart my commercial unit and decided I could build one with twice the power based on the commercial unit's design.

Pictured is what I built.

My father-in-law says this unit is "safe" and shouldn't kill me however I am not sure and will be doing some measurements to reassure myself.

Al_The_Man
03-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Appears to be just a AC supply, these off the shelf item should be available from Hammond are any electrical supply house.
You would just need to double the VA sizing of the transformers.
Al.

indycraft
03-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Appears to be just a AC supply, these off the shelf item should be available from Hammond are any electrical supply house.
You would just need to double the VA sizing of the transformers.
Al.

I did purchase the 2 transformers from Hammond. The enclosure is a hammond I purchased on ebay.

Fuse holder, wire and wire clips from Radio Shack.

Rubber feet salvaged from old equipment.

Nuts, bolts and washers from my stock

Motor speed control (temperature control) I already had.

Al_The_Man
03-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I didn't realize you had built it, I assumed you were asking about copying it. :confused:
Was the commercial supply secondary referenced to ground at all?
Al.

indycraft
03-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I didn't realize you had built it, I assumed you were asking about copying it. :confused:
Was the commercial supply secondary referenced to ground at all?
Al.

Hello Al,

The secondarys in my commercially manufactured supplies are not grounded to the enclosures at all and are attached only to the wire you want to heat.

I see in the picture it appears that one of the secondaries is attached to ground. It is not.

I am not sure if that answers your question.

Indy

PaulEsch
03-23-2011, 10:37 PM
I have a need to power 7 12" nichrome wires simultaneously. My old PC power supply works but it doesn't get as hot as I would like. 12VDC 10A is the max output that I can get from it.

So I'm thinking an adjustable 12-25VAC with 20A is what I really need.

I did try the "dimmer switch and the RShack 25V 2.5A transformer" until it burnt up. :)

I'm ready to go bigger, any guidance or links appreciated.
(I also don't want to spend $500, but $150 would be reasonable.)

Thanks,
Paul

TAREQ
05-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Hello every one

I'm using a transformer taken from a car battery charger or a 12to220v inverter 5k VA

i gives abour 20Amps and 22ACV

i used a light dimmer

it works good for me

good luck for all