PDA

View Full Version : I supprised myself and made this today.

MrBean
01-04-2005, 02:57 PM
I cut this out, (see picture), today with my wibbly wibbly wobbly homemade cnc router. Considering I used a single flute wood cutting router bit, it came out quite well. It was cut from 10mm Aluminium at 17 IPM. spindle at 13000 RPM. The part measures 6" across the longest flat piece and 5.25" perpendicular to that. Total machining time 46 mins. It's a clamp to mount my Makita router to the CNC machine. Just thought others may be interested to see it.

Regards Terry.....
http://www.terry-is.f2s.com/

JavaDog
01-04-2005, 03:37 PM
That came out very nice!

Mr.Chips
01-04-2005, 05:50 PM
I don't see the stepper motor that drives the belt for the X axis, where is it mounted?
It's so nice to make parts that can be used on your machine.
Thanks
Hager

MrBean
01-04-2005, 06:15 PM
I don't see the stepper motor that drives the belt for the X axis, where is it mounted?
It's so nice to make parts that can be used on your machine.
Thanks
Hager

I looked through my pics on the site and you're right most of the pics don't show the X motor, but there is one that does. See below.

Mr.Chips
01-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Sorry I mean the "Y" motor driving the belt.

Hager

MrBean
01-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Sorry I mean the "Y" motor driving the belt.

Hager

The X axis (left to right motion) is the only belt driven axis.
The Y axis (front to back) is driven by a ballscrew. Motor mounted on the front of the machine.
The Z is also ballscrew. You can just see the Z motor behind the router spindle, right at the back.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you properly. (chair) all 3 motors are visable in the picture.

Mr.Chips
01-04-2005, 06:49 PM
It looks like the belt is going over the center of the motor, but it must be a very short motor and the shaft/pulley cannot be seen.

Sorry for the confusion, just wanted to understand the motor pulley belt configuration.

MrBean
01-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Aaahhhhhh I see.

Where you show an arrow on the left side of the picture, there is a shaft poking out. On that shaft, inside the assembly, there is a 26T pulley, same the other end. Thats what the belt rides on.
Where the shaft is poking out I attached a 72T pulley (not shown in the pic you put arrows on) I put a 20T pulley on the stepper motor and that goes to the 72T pulley on the poking out shaft via another belt. ( not shown on your pic)

So we have Stepper Motor - 20T - 72T - X Axis shaft - 26T - X Axis Belt.

I needed lots of reduction as belt drive is inherently low resolution.

The picture I put the red box around is in fact, the motor you are wondering about.

That's probably as clear as mud, but hopefully not.

I can take some close up pics if there is still some confusion. That'll be later tho' as it's just gone midnight here.

Regards Terry.....

Mr.Chips
01-04-2005, 07:31 PM
OK, I Got it. I was looking at the photos before the pulley/belt and motor were added.

DUHHHH

Thanks
Hager

Pythagoras
01-04-2005, 07:47 PM
That is encouraging.
I have not tried routing alum with my machine but have often thought that surely it could do it.

Did you do lots of passes, or just one slow pass?
I am thinking I might do the lots of pass method.

Did you just let the chips fly or did you use a vac system?

Did you use a coolant, or was it done dry.

Did the bit clog up?

What sort of bit did you use?

How did you color the alum ?

What is your credit card number? :)

MrBean
01-04-2005, 08:17 PM
That is encouraging.
I have not tried routing alum with my machine but have often thought that surely it could do it.

Did you do lots of passes, or just one slow pass?
I am thinking I might do the lots of pass method.

Did you just let the chips fly or did you use a vac system?

Did you use a coolant, or was it done dry.

Did the bit clog up?

What sort of bit did you use?

How did you color the alum ?

What is your credit card number? :)

I cut the piece in 20 passes. 0.5mm each. My machine is too bendy to try much deeper.

The chips really flew. I threw a cover over the drivers and power supply and let 'er rip.

I tried some coolant but it seemed to make like a metal paste with the chips inside the cut channel. So I ran mostly dry and blew the chips out using the power stored within my lungs.

The bit did not clog up as there was no where anything could really clog.

I used the "wrong" bit. It was a staight, single flute cutter made for wood working only. 4mm Dia.

The aluminium is aluminium coloured. It came that way.

My card number has a 9 in it. You can work out the rest with a magic formula.

Regards Terry.....

xairflyer
01-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Nice bit of cutting, been wondering if my machine will cut aluminium, although I am only talking about 2 or 3mm sheet.

Have you looked at the 701W trim router on sale at B&Q I bought a second one last week, reduced from £39.95 to £26.38 great deals at the moment, if you register it online you get a 3 year warrantee, you can't go wrong with that !

I like it because it has a 1/4 collet and variable speed, also lights to show you what you are doing.

MrBean
01-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Nice bit of cutting, been wondering if my machine will cut aluminium, although I am only talking about 2 or 3mm sheet.

Have you looked at the 701W trim router on sale at B&Q I bought a second one last week, reduced from £39.95 to £26.38 great deals at the moment, if you register it online you get a 3 year warrantee, you can't go wrong with that !

I like it because it has a 1/4 collet and variable speed, also lights to show you what you are doing.

I bought a cheap router to begin with (£25), planning to get a better one later on. Little did I know it'd be only 18 hours later on. The cheap DIY routers are meant to be used for a few minutes here and there. Probably only a couple of hours or so total for a year. They're not built to run for hours at a time. My cheapy caught fire........After running the Makita non stop for near on an hour it wasn't even warmish. Very very quiet too. Money well spent.

Regards Terry.....

xairflyer
01-07-2005, 06:28 AM
I agree sometimes cheap is not cheap, the only thing with this one is that when I bought it it was originally £69 and has been reduced alot recently. With a three year warantee it has to be worth trying out.