PDA

View Full Version : Info for Dummies [CNC+CAM]

kanzor
12-28-2004, 05:00 AM
Hi everybody, i'm an italian guy with a lot of confused ideas.
I'd like to homebrew a CNC Machine to make wax stamps for my jewelry (like rings, bracalets...). The material i'd like to work isn't very hard and it's so small (about 9x9 cm = 3 1/2" x 3 1/2") , so i don't need a big CNC machine.

is there any project for a little CNC wich i could use??
is there any interface for PC ready to use (i'm using rhino 3.0)??

Thanks to all of you for your time.
Ah, and please, excuse my very BAD english.

turmite
12-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Hi everybody, i'm an italian guy with a lot of confused ideas.
I'd like to homebrew a CNC Machine to make wax stamps for my jewelry (like rings, bracalets...). The material i'd like to work isn't very hard and it's so small (about 9x9 cm = 3 1/2" x 3 1/2") , so i don't need a big CNC machine.

is there any project for a little CNC wich i could use??
is there any interface for PC ready to use (i'm using rhino 3.0)??

Thanks to all of you for your time.
Ah, and please, excuse my very BAD english.

First things first, your English is not bad at all. When you ask for a interface for pc ready to use, are you asking for the program that drives the cnc or the program that makes the code the cnc uses i.e., g-code, or a complete machine ready to use?

If you are wanting to build your own,you will need the following:

the cnc machine frame with linear ways of some sort.

motors to move your drive compontents whether ball screws or timing belts etc.

motor drives (I use Gecko's)

power supply for your motors and their drives

a pc with software to move the motors (I use Mach2/3)

some sort of means of holding your wax.

A cam software for using your Rhino models to create the toolpath for your cnc machine. I know there are several out that will use the 3dm files directly from Rhino but so far the one that has my vote and is going to get my money is VisualMill Basic with the 4th axis module. Cost in US $ is $1750.

Are you wanting to machine the wax as a complete model? If so you will probably need a 4th axis but that is not hard to do.

I hope this has helped some.

Mike

kanzor
12-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Yeah, u helped me so much. I'll try to be more specific:

I'll try to buil my own CNC 3 axies with stepper motors, imagine (only) that i've just set up the hardware: X , Y and Z works fine the only thing that remain is buid a magic box to transport my model from rhino to the stepper motors.

Pc parrallel port at my left, stepper motors' wires at my right: what is the magic box in the middle? Is theare any tuts to build one? And if yes could a medium human build it? Or maybe could i order one new?

About me money are a problem, and i can't spend over $1000 ....

Another time thanks for your replies

turmite
12-28-2004, 07:12 PM
"Pc parrallel port at my left, stepper motors' wires at my right: what is the magic box in the middle? Is theare any tuts to build one? And if yes could a medium human build it? Or maybe could i order one new? "

kanzor the magic box in the middle is actually two different things. First you have to have the system to get the information from the parallel port of the pc to the steppers and those are called drivers or drives. Gecko has some on special right now but may still get you past the $1000 when you total everything you will need. Assuming you have the parts for the machine including the pc, you will need a drive for each motor, a power supply to supply power to the drives and motors, a cam software to write your g-code from your Rhino file. There are two that come quickly to mind. StlWorks that I think is $75 US and Meshcam that I think is $150.

There are also advertisers on this forum that offers kits that may help you out quickly. There is also the option of building your own drives yourself using the open source forum here on the Zone. I will try to find more info for you but have to go now.
Mike

kanzor
12-29-2004, 04:50 AM
You are delicius... Thank for your help.
I think that i'll use this interesting solution:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/pc/008/index.html

buscht
12-29-2004, 08:50 AM
I recommend this.
http://www.xylotex.com/

You can run stronger motors with 2.5 amps than 1.25 amps

kanzor
12-29-2004, 09:55 AM
There are 2 big problems:
A) 145$ is too much for me
B) They don't ship oversea... and i'm Italian... :(((