View Full Version : Need Help! CAM-software for Camshafts

03-07-2009, 05:49 AM

I have problem... Do anyone know suitable CAM-software for camshaft grinding?
I get cam shape in coordinates (half degree steps) software, what calculates
lift, angles and so on, but how I can transform it to G-code for CNC-grinding

03-08-2009, 10:53 AM
The programmed 'toolpath' if we can call it that is a line grinding wheel radius from the desired surface of the cam. This is a similar problem to cutter radius compensation, but the applied principal is similar.
This link gives some insight into cutter radius compensation.
This only works in the XY plane, so we need to calculate the compensation ourselves because the cam appears as a 4th axis being in degrees.
This requires a polar to rectangular conversion which can be done in line by a g-code interpreter.
You can solve trig and Pythagoras problems on the fly, where one of the main variables used will be the current wheel radius.
I haven't done any of this stuff before, so I call some experts who have already done it.
Not trivial, but some high school maths will solve the problem.
You need to treat grinding wheel like a very big cam follower.

03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Any cam software should be able to do this, the kicker is can you create a post that will out put nc code that your machine can run. For example, if I was going to grind a cam on an ANCA, I would rotate the A axis, and either feed the Z or X ( depending on wheel to part orientation ) as needed. I would use the system i have ( ESPRIT ) and post code. As i have created an ANCA post. I could also do this same process on a cnc lathe with C-X axis contouring, with a grinding wheel mounted on a live tool, or any mill/turn.

What machine do you have?