PDA

View Full Version : Oscillating Steam Engine

GerPen
03-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Howdy
Anybody built an oscillating steam engine? I saw plans for one on Little Machine Shop and the design looks pretty simple. I'm new to machining and looking for small projects.
thanks
Gerry

handlewanker
05-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi Gerry, I've built a few simple oscillators over the years, mostly running on poison gas (methylated spirits) LOL.

The problem with oscillators is that they exhaust at boiler pressure, which means you waste about 75% of your boiler steam/fuel capacity.

The upside is they can be made from the simplest materials practically without any machining at all.

I would say that if anyone were to contemplate an oscillator outfit as a boat drive etc, then design it with the idea of compounding to a larger cylinder to make use of the steam at high pressure and heat that exhausts from the first cylinder.
Ian.

GerPen
05-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the information and the suggestion of a compound larger cylinder.
I've finished two small oscillators, the Pip Squeak and a wobbler. They are fun to watch but have little in the way of utilitarian value.
I'm going to follow up on your idea with some reading and go from there.
thanks again Ian
Gerry

martinw
05-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Dear GerPen,

In a couple of years...?

http://www.kbsm.org/exhibits/100-inch

Best wishes,

Martin

mopar92
06-07-2009, 07:46 PM
I built the train they have , Well it was the one in live steam magazine, looks all most like it. the only problem is the burner dosent work well. Im looking fro a gas fired unit

handlewanker
06-08-2009, 03:49 AM
A beam engine? hmmmmmmm, if you are able to get back copies of The Model Engineer, there's a beaut beam engine in there, also an even beauter triple expansion steam engine too.
Ian.

martinw
06-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Dear Ian,

Just feast your eyes on these "boys' toys".

http://john-tom.com/

Best wishes,

Martin

boutje
02-26-2010, 12:33 PM
This the one i build.

YouTube- Compressed air engine

I have only let it run on compressed air.