PDA

View Full Version : Links to worm gears for 4th axis

mocnc
12-22-2004, 03:54 PM
:cheers:

mocnc
12-22-2004, 03:57 PM
ok not sure what went wrong, but here goes again.......

I am wanting to build a 4 axis, I need to locate some good suppliers that will ship to canada or better yet that are in canada. I have heard alot about a company called Boston Gears, does anyone have the web site address for them? My idea is to use a worm gear assembly for my 4th axis. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations that would help in making my 4th axis? Is it better to make my own chucks/head stocks and tail stocks or purchase? I don't have a machine shop so the 4th axis would be made out of either pvc or mdf. I think a 40:1 ratio is what I am shooting for using a stepper motor. Or cause I am using a stepper motor, could I use a 1:1 ratio? I want to use my 4th axis to help in making pool cues and as well as doing inlaying on pool cues.

HuFlungDung
12-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Have you thought about what software you will use for this purpose? Pricey, if you want to do live rotary axis milling. It doesn't "go with" the MDF indexer principle :D

Have you considered a simple indexer for this purpose? Something like a 5C collet closer in a spin index fixture? That way, you'd only have to machine a pocket in each position. Less expensive software required.

Just a couple of thoughts for you to ponder.

You can purchase gears from Emerson as well: http://www.emerson-ept.com/
I don't know as I would recommend building a gearbox yourself, though. You might be farther ahead to buy a simple indexer (or dividing head) off someone on Ebay.

Torsten
12-23-2004, 06:30 AM
Yes Software for true multy axes machining can get expensive.
There is a trick you could use for simple stuff.
Layout your cad as a flat pattern then scale the Yaxes to messure at 360 units per rotation.
At the machine manualy position Y at the center of rotation then unplug the
Y axes drivecable and plug it into your Rotary axes motor.
Seams to work what I heard from other people.
Also saves some money because you dont need the drivers for a 4th axes.

You could use the savings on a small rotary table and a chuck.
This should give you a head start in converting it to cnc.
Good Luck