PDA

View Full Version : Joe's Hybrid - Xnaron's Build

Xnaron
02-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I've got a build thread going on the Joe's Forums and I am going to put a mini thread here as well. I've been wanting to build a CNC router for at least 5 years now. I've finally got all the other projects out of the way and have started on my Hybrid build. I've got everything ordered sans a few small items. Here are some pictures of some of my components and the start of my table.

Controller/Drive will be made of the following components

-54V 1000W power supply
-4 x Gecko 203V's
-PMDX 122 BOB
-4 x Hobby CNC 405oz-in Steppers

I am in Canada and it was fairly expensive to get everything that I needed from the US. I did order expensive Stepper Drivers (Gecko) and they cost me $800+ CAN. I have ordered almost everything and my total so far is $3800 CAN. I have budgeted $4500 - $5000 CAN.

Will add more details later...

grahamshere
02-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Cool, cant wait to see how much it'll end up cost a fellow Canadian, I will probably be doing to same machine soon I hope, but might use the 540,s with 425 oz steppers, would save about $500.00, I don't know if it would make a diff from the 203,s you are using with the smaller steppers, maybe some one can tell me. Good job so far. Graham

New2CNCPaul
02-23-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm looking forward to watching a fellow Canadians build both here and on Joe's forums.

Can't wait for more build progress.

Paul

Crevice Reamer
02-23-2009, 11:32 PM
I've got a build thread going on the Joe's Forums and I am going to put a mini thread here as well. I've been wanting to build a CNC router for at least 5 years now. I've finally got all the other projects out of the way and have started on my Hybrid build. I've got everything ordered sans a few small items. Here are some pictures of some of my components and the start of my table.

Controller/Drive will be made of the following components

-54V 1000W power supply
-4 x Gecko 203V's
-PMDX 122 BOB
-4 x Hobby CNC 405oz-in Steppers

I am in Canada and it was fairly expensive to get everything that I needed from the US. I did order expensive Stepper Drivers (Gecko) and they cost me $800+ CAN. I have ordered almost everything and my total so far is $3800 CAN. I have budgeted $4500 - $5000 CAN.

Will add more details later...

Looking good! You are off to a fine start.

CR.

Crevice Reamer
02-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Cool, cant wait to see how much it'll end up cost a fellow Canadian, I will probably be doing to same machine soon I hope, but might use the 540,s with 425 oz steppers, would save about $500.00, I don't know if it would make a diff from the 203,s you are using with the smaller steppers, maybe some one can tell me. Good job so far. Graham

The G540 needs motors with Bipolar parallel inductance of 4mH or less that require 3.5A or less. What 425 motors are you planning to use?

CR.

grahamshere
02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
I have the xylotex 3 axis with the 425's that came with the drivers, but ill need one more motor I guess. Graham

FandZ
02-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Looking great man. A few of the parts have me interested. What are the bolts pictured with the bearings. Looks to be 8 of them. They seem to be smooth on the outside with a whole down the middle. I'm thinking they go with the bearings but I'm not sure.

Also, I see you have a ton of llittle rectangular aluminum spacers with a hole in the center. What are they used for and where do you buy them?

Crevice Reamer
02-24-2009, 08:51 AM
I have the xylotex 3 axis with the 425's that came with the drivers, but ill need one more motor I guess. Graham

The Z 425s Need 90 Volts to develop best speed in Bipolar Parallel. Your rapids will suffer if you use this motor with the 50V G540. You COULD use one on the Z axis though.

A better choice would be the Keling KL23H276-28-4B or KL23H284-35-4B.

http://kelinginc.net/StepperMotorDriver.html

CR.

Xnaron
02-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Looking great man. A few of the parts have me interested. What are the bolts pictured with the bearings. Looks to be 8 of them. They seem to be smooth on the outside with a whole down the middle. I'm thinking they go with the bearings but I'm not sure.

Also, I see you have a ton of llittle rectangular aluminum spacers with a hole in the center. What are they used for and where do you buy them?

Those are concentric and eccentric bushings. The eccentric bushings are used to adjust the tension of the bearing against the raik, The rectangular spacers are actually steel unistrut nuts. The are used for attaching pieces of unitstrut together.

grahamshere
02-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the info Mr Reamer, ill look into the Keling drives, seems like some good products there.

Hey Xnaron, I was wondering what drive screws are you going to use, Are you looking for speed. I,ve been using 8 tpi 4 start for my little Solysylva and I'm getting over 200 imp on my Y axis, so it,s something to think about. Seems the only place us Canadian,s can get them is at rotons, but there good priced. You do lose a bit of resolution but with your drives it should be ok with 10 micro stepping.

Graham

Xnaron
02-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Hey Xnaron, I was wondering what drive screws are you going to use, Are you looking for speed. I,ve been using 8 tpi 4 start for my little Solysylva and I'm getting over 200 imp on my Y axis, so it,s something to think about. Seems the only place us Canadian,s can get them is at rotons, but there good priced. You do lose a bit of resolution but with your drives it should be ok with 10 micro stepping.

Graham

I am using these 10 TPI on the x and y http://www.mcmaster.com/#98940a020/=qxwwo and these 8 TPI on the Z http://www.mcmaster.com/#98940a623/=qxxr9 They are the black oxide upgraded with higher hardness and tensile strength rating than the screws that are on the Bill of Materials for the machine.

I bought them from a member of Joe's forums. I just received them today. I should be able to cut comfortably at 140IPM with these from what I have read. I would rather have accuracy than speed but if I could get the speed without losing appreciable accuracy I would go for it. I am on a learning curve with this and am trying to stick to the plans. I am doing a few recommended mods. Tell me about rotons I have never heard of them. If I upgrade my screws in the future I would love to have a source to check out.

Brendin

Xnaron
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Ok just checked out www.roton.com ... they have quite the selection and have the matching anti-backlash nuts to go with the screws. I like the way their website is laid out. Much easier to find things by category.

Xnaron
02-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Lead screws are here...

grahamshere
02-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Will be interesting if you do get 140 imp with those screws, I could only get 40 imp at most with mine when I used them but I have a lesser drives than you. What will you be cutting with the machine?

Xnaron
02-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Will be interesting if you do get 140 imp with those screws, I could only get 40 imp at most with mine when I used them but I have a lesser drives than you. What will you be cutting with the machine?

There is a video on youtube where Brian Jog's his machine at 360IPM with these screws. Check it out here YouTube - Jogging at 360ipm Are you sure we are talking about the same screws?

grahamshere
02-25-2009, 12:14 AM
10 tpi 1/2 acme, that,s what I was using and could only get 40 ipm, are you sure Brian is using those screws because I haven't herd of any one getting those speeds with those screws, first you would get tons of whipping and that didn't look like there was any whipping. I would double check to see. Graham

Xnaron
02-25-2009, 09:17 AM
10 tpi 1/2 acme, that,s what I was using and could only get 40 ipm, are you sure Brian is using those screws because I haven't herd of any one getting those speeds with those screws, first you would get tons of whipping and that didn't look like there was any whipping. I would double check to see. Graham

I have talked to many builders and 140IPM is a comfortable cutting speed with those screws. It should be noted that there are different type of 1/2" 10TPI acme screws. The ones I bought have a speed ratio of 5:1 and have fast travel. Checkout the specs here. http://www.mcmaster.com/#98940a020/=r7rtt

grahamshere
02-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Oh ok, its a multi start, similar to the ones I have, Not sure how may starts you have,could be five, then yes you would get way better speed than 140 if you wanted, I thought they were single start. sorry.With the gecko's you'll be rocking.Cant wait to see what your machine can do, hope you make some video,s of it cutting when done. Graham

New2CNCPaul
02-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Screw Specs

1018 Carbon Steel Acme Threaded Rod 1/2" -10 5-Start(2tpi) #99030A704
Material Type Steel
Finish Plain
Grade Ungraded
Type Precision Acme Threaded Rods
Steel Type C1018 Alloy Steel
System of Measurement Inch
Acme Size 1/2"-10
Starts 5
Thread Direction Right Hand Thread
Thread Fit 2C (Self-Centering)
Turns Per Inch 2
Length 6'
Lead Accuracy 0.007" or better per foot
Minimum Tensile Strength 70,000 psi
Hardness 167 Brinell
Specifications Met Not Rated

I've jogged at 400ipm with the same screws, but I'm only comfortable cutting around 120ipm.
I can't wait to see Brendin cutting also. I'm pretty sure he'll be the 4th Canadian to have a completed the Joe's 4x4 Hybrid build.

Paul

grahamshere
02-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Hey Paul, how come 120 ipm, What do you cut?
What will you be cutting Brendin ? Hope I'll be the 5th to build but who knows.

Xnaron
02-25-2009, 09:10 PM

I'll be cutting mdf, hdpe, maybe aluminum, foam, sheet ply, and softwood composites. Where are you located Graham?

Xnaron
02-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Got my 8020 & t-nuts, stepper motors and power supply today.

grahamshere
02-25-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm in mission BC, 1.5 hrs east of Vancouver. Ya I guess cutting mdf, hdp and alum should be cut slow but the rest you can whip trough that like butter.
So were did you get the 8020, how much did it cost you? So far I haven't seen any here and I hate ordering from the net, takes so dam long to receive things.
Well looks like your gonna have fun. Graham

New2CNCPaul
02-25-2009, 09:35 PM

Grahmshere,

This was my first build and I am fairly new to CNC, so I like to take things slow. 120ipm is not slow in my books either.

I cut Hardwood, Softwood, Plastics, MDF, Aluminum etc. of course these all require different feeds and speeds IMO.

It would be nice to have a few more Canadians in Joe's Hybrid Builders forums. Although Brendin is the 4th Canadian to start a build there are a few more that are active, have the plans but are not at a building stage or moving at the rate Brendin is. Looking forward to your possible build also.

Paul

Xnaron
02-25-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm in mission BC, 1.5 hrs east of Vancouver. Ya I guess cutting mdf, hdp and alum should be cut slow but the rest you can whip trough that like butter.
So were did you get the 8020, how much did it cost you? So far I haven't seen any here and I hate ordering from the net, takes so dam long to receive things.
Well looks like your gonna have fun. Graham

I ordered my 8020 from ipec industrial in Ontario. They are one of two distributors for 8020 in Canada. The order came within 2 weeks and it was about the same or maybe a little less than if I ordered from 8020 in the US. Things have gotten here pretty quickly. I ordered the power supply and steppers last week I think.

grahamshere
02-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Hey Brendin did that little tiger come with the 8020 or the steppers?:p .

Wonder if there's an ipec in BC here. Was it expensive?. Paul I here ya about taking it slow, My little machine would fall apart if I pushed it to the limit I'm sure, I,ve done so many things to it now dont think it will ever be finished lol.

Xnaron
02-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey Brendin did that little tiger come with the 8020 or the steppers?:p .

Wonder if there's an ipec in BC here. Was it expensive?. Paul I here ya about taking it slow, My little machine would fall apart if I pushed it to the limit I'm sure, I,ve done so many things to it now dont think it will ever be finished lol.

Your the second person to comment on the tiger... it's a dog toy. I pushed it out of the way but not far enough I guess :)

The other 8020 distributor is in BC.

Rocky Mountain Motion Control
3063 - 275A St
Aldergrove, BC V4W 3L4
Canada
Phone: 604-607-6443
Fax: 604-607-7099

grahamshere
02-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Awesome, Thanks Brandin, there not too far from me. Hmmm wished I would have known that a few days ago, had to buy some alum rectangle tubing for my machine, I have to make alum brackets to put it together . Oh well still cool to know. Thanks again.

Xnaron
03-01-2009, 08:45 PM
All of my stuff is here except for the router mount. I found some heatsinks (for a computer cpu) that fit perfectly on the geckos.

Today I spent 8 hours drilling millions of holes in angle iron. I am done except for the 12" pieces for the z-zxis that I forgot to buy.

Also started the power supply. I am using an old PC case.

blackbeard52
03-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Great machine!!! you will enjoy it

Bob

Xnaron
03-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Finshed the AC part of the power supply.

Left button Power ON
Center light Power Light
Right Button Power OFF

E-stop button is AC e-stop

I'm keeping the AC isolated in the drive cage. The antek supply will sit on the rails 2/3 up the case.

Xnaron
03-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Controller finished and tested...boy was it ever a good feeling to watch mach 3 turn all the steppers.

Xnaron
03-14-2009, 10:24 PM
MDF and HDPE parts

Xnaron
03-14-2009, 10:26 PM
more pics

FandZ
03-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Real nice job on the wiring. Gives me plenty of inspiration to tackle my own.

Xnaron
03-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Table pics

Crevice Reamer
03-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Wow! That is some beautiful wiring! Well Done!

CR.

Xnaron
03-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Real nice job on the wiring. Gives me plenty of inspiration to tackle my own.

Thanks...I took my time and thought it out. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was lucky and everything worked first try. I'll keep a watchful eye for pics of your controller :)

FandZ
03-14-2009, 10:44 PM
I have to admit, I'm envious of your progress. I'm close to mounting my steppers on all 3 axis but finding the time and a the place to work has been a real pain for me. I live in a town house with no garage. Plus I 4 kids trying to mess with every tool I have...lol

My controller will be pretty simple. I have the g540 so with CR's guidance it should not be that big of a deal. I was going to mount it in my pc case but someone gave me an IBM P4 2.8ghz server to use for my cnc. There's not much room in there lol.

Thanks...I took my time and thought it out. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was lucky and everything worked first try. I'll keep a watchful eye for pics of your controller :)

Xnaron
03-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Got one of the Y-carriages on yesterday...

Crevice Reamer
03-18-2009, 10:24 AM
I admire your excellent craftsmanship. This whole router is MASTERFUL!

CR.

Xnaron
03-18-2009, 10:30 AM
I admire your excellent craftsmanship. This whole router is MASTERFUL!

CR.

Thanks! Joe certainly has really designed a winner here. It's what finally made me get off my rear and build one of these. I've been wanting to build one for years but never found anything that caught my eye until I saw the hybrid.

Xnaron
03-22-2009, 04:05 PM
More progress

Xnaron
03-22-2009, 04:07 PM
more pics

Xnaron
03-22-2009, 04:08 PM
a video!

YouTube - Y carriage Jog

Xnaron
03-22-2009, 07:10 PM
more pics

FandZ
03-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Looking good my man. I bet it's nice to see that puppy move under its own power.

Xnaron
03-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Looking good my man. I bet it's nice to see that puppy move under its own power.

Thanks...its pretty cool!

Xnaron
03-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Made a lot of progress...videos coming shortly

Xnaron
03-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Videos

YouTube - X and Y

YouTube - hybrid X and Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMU87WoU-RA

Xnaron
03-29-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm cutting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5XkZxB72OU

FandZ
03-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Woohoo! NJ MAN!

I didn't relize the Hitachi router would be that loud. It's the one I'm planning on getting. I also know, noise wise, it's suppossed to be best in class. I'm going to have to come up with a soloution for that sooner than later. Thanks for the video.

So what are your plans? What do you plan on making?

Xnaron
03-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Woohoo! NJ MAN!

I didn't relize the Hitachi router would be that loud. It's the one I'm planning on getting. I also know, noise wise, it's suppossed to be best in class. I'm going to have to come up with a soloution for that sooner than later. Thanks for the video.

I had it on the highest RPM setting...the lower the setting the quieter it gets. I am going to cut some new parts for the router. The guy locally who cut mine was having problems with his machine in accuracy and tolerances were out on most of the pieces. I am going to cut a new set and properly finish and paint them.

Brendin

BobF
03-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Love your bit selection. You could do some real 3D with that one.
I made my first V carve with an old drill bit I snaped off in the vise and sharpened to a V point on the grinder.

Xnaron
03-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Love your bit selection. You could do some real 3D with that one.
I made my first V carve with an old drill bit I snaped off in the vise and sharpened to a V point on the grinder.

yeah ghetto cnc...gotta love it!

elcam84
03-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Woohoo! NJ MAN!

From a woodworker that has used a few routers... Look into the Milwaukee ones. They are quieter and IME more reliable and parts are cheaper (havent bought any though) They also have a 5yr warranty. I like the 5616.

BobF
03-30-2009, 10:44 PM
I use the Milwaukee 5625 on my machine and am very happy with it.
I also have a Makita 1101 that I like a lot. Never used a Hitachi. They just look cheesy to me.
Get a variable speed whatever you choose. The built in speed control is waaaaay better than any of those addons things you see.

Xnaron
04-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I've got the dust shoe cut yesterday and installed as well as the dust collection system operational. I've also got the timing belt installed.

Here are some pics and some video of the machine cutting out some new x-axis plates with wider hole spacing to accomodate my 0.755" angle. I love the dust collection system! Everything stays clean. It is a 1280CFM 1 micron 220V dust collector. Still need to work out a final resting place for it. You can see it in the video.

Brendin

YouTube - MDF First Cuts...dust collection and timing belt...Joe's Hybrid CNC Router

YouTube - First MDF Cut! Joe's Hybrid CNC Router. Dust Collection System.

robertmonroe
04-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Very nice! Very, very nice!!!

Xnaron
04-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Mpre pics...Got the table top and t-slot installed. Picked up a few clamps

Xnaron
05-12-2016, 09:55 PM
I've had my Hybrid running for about 7 years and it has been my second most used tool in the shop. The 3d printers are my most used tool in case you were wondering. :) I've been very happy with the hybrid. It's done everything from big 3/4" MDF sheet to engraving and drilling printed circuit boards. I decided to give the old guy a few upgrades...

I made some upgrades to my hybrid. I upgraded my Y steppers to Nema 34 960 oz-in steppers. I also replaced the HDPE leadscrew boxes for the Y and A with steel square tube. I'm also planning to upgrade the X with Nema 34 and steel square tube. I also designed and built a racking detector (thanks to Kent for the driver circuit and input). This will estop mach 3 if the Y and A gantry screws get out of sync. This is to prevent damage to the machine. Yes it has happened to me...

Here are some pictures and some video...Please excuse the messy surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIQ1g-UL3RE