fjd
12-18-2004, 12:12 PM
I am looking for a source for some 3/4 20 splined shafts 18" long
splined end for end .
Would like to buy these in random 12 foot lengths

thanks

HuFlungDung
12-18-2004, 03:41 PM
I don't know if you would have any luck or not. What kind of material does it have to be? If you are using significant quantities, maybe you could have a custom extrusion done in aluminum or brass. These outfits will usually quote you a price if you'll take 3 or 4 tons of stock.

I also wonder if there is anyone doing custom powder metallurgy out there? I've seen some pretty nifty parts done that way. This one might be out of range.

Do you really need a full length spline or would a short bit on the ends work just as well? That rotary broaching video that I watched on here the other day showed how its done, and simply, too, on a regular lathe.

fjd
12-18-2004, 03:53 PM
full lenght is required
1045 steel is what we need

HuFlungDung
12-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Is it a standard involute spline? You might approach a gear shop about getting a batch of these run off (in 18" lengths) if they have a hobbing machine for it.

fjd
12-18-2004, 04:02 PM
thanks
that is happening so far no takers
so we are still looking for more leads for this product

wms
12-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Fred,

Try here: http://www.grobinc.com/c_rolled.htm

They should have it.

fjd
12-19-2004, 08:39 PM
thanks wms
thats the best info i have gotten.
will be giving them a call Monday morning.

HuFlungDung
12-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Wow, that is a great site to know about, Ward.

fjd
12-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the help wms
the roduct we need is ordered was in stock will ship today.

thanks
fredj

wms
12-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Cool

Glad they had it. I used to use them years ago for stuff like this...Funny I still remembered them as it has been along time and many projects since I used them.
Just one of the many mindless things stuck in my head....

Glad they had a web site too..as that was not always the case..so easy to send someone to a link instead of just a name with no other info to go on. Almost too easy in this day and age. Not like it used to be...only had a Thomas register to hunt stuff down with...and before that..well nothing, just word of mouth.

Gunner
12-28-2004, 07:27 AM
I saw a spline machine at IMTS a few years back made by Kinefac. As I remember they were taking 12-15 inch long bars about 1" diameter and putting a spline on them. Don't know if you want to purchase a machine but it may be an option for you.