PDA

View Full Version : Newbie hobbycnc EZ driver???

javidana
02-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Hello all!

Once again the wonderful internet communities comes to my aid, where would I be without them. I'm planning on building a CNC router with a dremel and parts from www.stappenmotor.nl

I'm a complete newbie to begin with and I have a couple of questions. here they are

what will need to get starting with the hobbycnc EZ driver besides solder equipment, power supply and cables?

I've seen a lot of really cheap stepper drivers on the net but they only drive one stepper what do I do if I wanna control 3 stepper and what will i need?

this may sound really stupid but I'm really confused what is the difference between a controller and a driver? or is it the same thing? if not does this meen that I need some extera electronics for my hobbycnc EZ driver?

Sorry about the question salvo...

Thanks in advance

jalessi
02-21-2009, 03:10 AM
Javidana,

The terms "Drive" or "Driver" and "Controller" are one and the same however a "Controller" may control or drive more than one axis.

Other than the the HobbyCNC EZ Driver, you will need a D.C. power supply a computer with a parallel port, a parallel port cable and of course compatible unipolar stepper motors.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...

javidana
02-21-2009, 01:50 PM
thanks for sorting that out for me Jeff :)

If I would to buy one of those cheaper single stepper drivers how could I connect all 3-4 of them to my parallel pc port? and what would I need to make them compatible with say Mach3 for an example?

Does anyone know where I could buy a cheap controller for 3 or 4 axis within EU? Hobbycnc seems a little bit of a waste of money for me. The driver costs 65$, the shipping is 60$ and plus 50% extra counting with costume expences for all purchase outside of the European Union... that's 1,5X more than what the driver cost...

Thanks

javidana
02-21-2009, 02:46 PM
I visited this site http://www.cnc2all.com/index-eng.html and it got me confused again. According to Jeff (thanks for the answer :) ) a driver controls one stepper and a controller may drive many steppers. But according to CNC2all.com I will need a controller plus one driver for each axis, which adds to a lot of money 500-600$. Help anyone?

CNC2all.com says that their products are of industry quality so this part of the reason for the price...

george4657
02-21-2009, 03:49 PM
The controller at CNC2all.com will run 4 drivers according to their documentation. Most drivers for one parallel port run 3 or 4 drivers.

George

jalessi
02-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Javidana,

The C10 Breakout Board will control four stepper driver axis and is only $26.00

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=45

I do not believe you are going to find a four axis stepper driver less expensive
than the HobbyCNC product and the Breakout Board is built in.

Jeff...

javidana
02-22-2009, 12:27 AM
thanks for all the answers everyone, really great having you :)

I really want to buy a whole package from hobbycnc.com but I'm really pissed about the way too high costume expences we have, not to mention the taxes X(

Gotta think about the whole deal cuz I just might end up spending more money if I try to put something together myself plus I want some thing that will deliver good quality.

Gonna contact hobbycnc and see if thier 4 axis foam package also could be use later for a router.

Regards

HobbyCNC
02-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Shipping is more like $30USD for the driver board alone. $60USD for an entire package including 3 or 4 steppers, driver board, wire, switches, etc.
Nothing we can do legally to reduce your tax burden.

HobbyCNC.com

thanks for sorting that out for me Jeff :)

If I would to buy one of those cheaper single stepper drivers how could I connect all 3-4 of them to my parallel pc port? and what would I need to make them compatible with say Mach3 for an example?

Does anyone know where I could buy a cheap controller for 3 or 4 axis within EU? Hobbycnc seems a little bit of a waste of money for me. The driver costs 65$, the shipping is 60$ and plus 50% extra counting with costume expences for all purchase outside of the European Union... that's 1,5X more than what the driver cost...

Thanks

javidana
02-22-2009, 05:07 PM
thank you for your reply Hobbycnc.com

One question. When will the timer/heat control be available again so I can combine it with the pro series 4-axis?

I dont wanna mess around too much and need a package that will work both for a 4-axis foam cutter and a router. so if I purchased it from you I would to buy the pro series with 4.2V 3A steppers, just in case I might decide to go bigger later...

I've contacted a relative in the states, gonna let her order and then send it as a gift. that way I only have to pay 3000 crowns instead of 4500 :) and of course the shipping costs.