PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Controller Card?

DistortedDesign
02-18-2009, 12:20 PM
I was looking at getting a spindle controller card for my joes that I am building. I have a 4 axis hobby cnc board and our favorite Hitichi 2.25hp router. I will probly be using Mach 3 with a pendant.

I have seen several different controllers but I didn't know what was the best one to use with that router and a hobby cnc board?

I saw some at hubbard cnc on ebay
cnc4pc.com
http://homanndesigns.com

ger21
02-18-2009, 01:38 PM
If you want to control the rpm of the Hitachi, I think the CNC4PC C19 is what you're looking for. Not familiar with the Ebay ones, and I don't think homanndesigns makes anything for that application.

bkboggy
02-18-2009, 02:05 PM
So, with that thing, would Mach3, for example, be able to control speed of the router when it wants/needs? I have Hitachi 2.25HP variable speed router.

ger21
02-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Actually, it might not won't work with a variable speed router. Those usually work with fixed speed routers, but the manual says it'll work with a variable speed router if the speed control on the router is set to it's max.

With mach3, you can have the g-code set the speed and turn it on and off.

bkboggy
02-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Wow, that is a nice piece of hardware then.... Definitely will consider it for future mods after I finish my CNC.

DistortedDesign
02-19-2009, 06:43 AM
I figured it was going to be the expensive one.... I was hoping there was one that was a bit cheaper. Looks like most of the others are for dc control.

DistortedDesign
02-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Does anyone know of one that is not over $100. I can build one if I have plans.

ger21
02-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Do you really need to adjust rpm with g-code? If you just want to turn it on and off, you can do it for about $20-$30. Just buy a relay and wire it to a breakout board.

DistortedDesign
02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Do you really need to adjust rpm with g-code? If you just want to turn it on and off, you can do it for about $20-$30. Just buy a relay and wire it to a breakout board.

Yes, definitely I plan on adding the tool changer and a pendant to it so I will be doing a variety of bits and a variety of media (plastic, foam, plexi, soft woods, hard woods) they all tend to have rpms where you get the correct chipping. So I would definately like the abilty to change the speed on the fly and have it set for the media that I am using.

I was sure there was more than 1 board to control an AC router. The one is cool but $130 seems a bit steap when the dc boards are only $30.

LeeWay
02-23-2009, 12:25 PM
You can get a cheap router speed controller from HF and then a SSR from Surplus center. All together maybe $25 to $30.
You would adjust the speed prior to running the code with the manual pot on the speed controller. Then Mach 3 would start the relay and stop it at the end. You would effectively have variable speed, but use the manual pot for adjusting. You could adjust that part on the fly while running if you wanted.
I also don't think these run with variable speed routers.
I don't have any of those. I have heard they don't work with soft start routers too, but haven't ever confirmed that.

DistortedDesign
02-24-2009, 06:54 AM
I am not sure about the soft start thing. They do work with variable speed cause you just turn it up all the way and leave it there.

BobF
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
My experience with the external speed controllers for routers is not that good. I have 3 routers. 2 with factory controls and one without. The built ins are head and shoulders above the external. They work, but poorly, and you definately loose some power.