PDA

View Full Version : Which parts of the Taig must be lubricated?

jaru-eri
02-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I haven´t used my Taig very much and until now I have only lubricated the lead screws. Are there other parts that needs to be taken care of?

And is it sufficient to use a lubricating spray or do I need to use thicker oil?

If so, gear oil or motor oil? What is best?

Hirudin
02-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm a huge novice, but one thing I do know: there is a special oil made for mills called "way oil".
Here's some at Enco...
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-1992&PMPXNO=945762&PARTPG=INLMK3
(I'm sure there's more brands (Mobil makes some) and more sources, this is just an example.)

Just how different it is compared to crank case oil: I haven't the foggiest idea.

Fixittt
02-06-2009, 12:21 AM
I use a product called WAYLUBE 68
on my dovetail machine I lube the screws, and the dovetail ways. Basically anything that rotates and slides gets ample amounts of oil.
What I do is i have a small bottle with a metal needle on it. Got it from a hobby shop with oil in it. I jog each axis to its extent of travel. Then with the bottle I run a bead of oil down the length of the screw. I try to run the bead of oil across the top of the screw an let gravity coat the rest. Slowly jog the axis in the other direction to let the oil penetrate the nuts. I then lube the screw again on the other side of the saddle.
For the Dovetail ways. I add oil to a foam painting corner brush. Its a foam pad on a handle with a knife edge. Add oil to the knife edge and run it down the edges of the way. jog and repeat. Alot of the oil will end up running off as it gets skimmed. I typically leave some newspaper under the machine to soak this oil up. I may overkill it but I lube the machine before every run.

jaru-eri
02-06-2009, 03:30 AM
What about the spindle bearings. Do they need any maintenance? And the lead screw bearings on each end. Do I need to do something with them?

fretsman
02-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Those are all sealed bearings and no lubrication should be needed -:)

Dave

Jeff-Birt
02-06-2009, 09:35 AM
What about the spindle bearings. Do they need any maintenance?

As has been mentioned they are sealed and require no maintenance. In fact if you were to squirt some oil under the seals it would trash them in about 15 hours. (Yes, I do know about how long it takes to destroy Taig spindle bearings :), Google for Taig Owners Club and look for a post of mine called "How to destroy Taig Spindle Bearings".)