PDA

View Full Version : Spindle motor wiring

rich_cree
02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I've got my taig mill working with the steppers, everything seems spot on and without too much trouble. My spindle motor is rotating the wrong way, so I took the front off the case and there is the following label (see attached). I changed the wiring from the version on the left to the one on the right, and pop, blew a fuse. Tried again and same result. I'm sure its wired up as the diagram states and it worked perfectly in the original configuration (except for being backwards).

Anyone got any ideas! I know I need to call the supplier (Peatol tools in the UK) but they won't be around until tomorrow and I want to fix it today if possible.

Al_The_Man
02-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Should work, It looks like U1 and U2 are the run winding, you notice that they are always connected to the same L1, L2, 240v in line for both left and right.
All that is happening, or should happen is that the start winding circuit, V1 & Z2 swap from U1-V1 and U2-Z2 to V1-U2 and U1-Z2.
IOW you are in effect just swapping two lines over.
If I am right, if you remove the links, you should have continuity from U1 to U2 and between start winding Z1 and Z2
Al.

rich_cree
02-02-2009, 08:26 AM
ok, I'll check when I get the chance.

So you think the wiring diagram looks ok? Getting bored of changing fuses!!!

Al_The_Man
02-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Measure the resistance between U1 & U2 with the links removed, it will be very low.
Then put the jumpers back on and re-connect the supply and measure the resistance across the 13amp plug supply pins, if that is what you are using to feed the motor, the resistance should be identical, if lower, then you have a short or wrong connection somewhere.
Al.