PDA

View Full Version : Adaptable to plasma cutter use?

trent2530
12-06-2004, 02:05 AM
I want to build a large plasma cutter. I wonder if your design could be adapted to using a plasma cutter? I like the big metal table, gantry with rack and pinion, etc. Seems like putting the plasma cutter in place of the router wouldn't be too hard. Your plans would give a lot of the details already thought out. I think. What are your thoughts?

Trent

Heavy D
01-31-2005, 08:44 AM
I am also looking at building a plasma cutter table. I've decided to build the router table and make an adapter to mount the plasma torch. This way I will be able to do CNC routing if I feel like it. you could also just skip the Z axis

dan

ninewgt
02-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Adapting to plasma is no trouble at all.... The design of the machine is the same - its as simple as mounting a plasma cutter VS the router and jacking the work up

dfranks
06-07-2005, 01:20 AM
This is the same type of table that I am thinking about building. I am completely new to cnc so I am doing research right now. My thoughts for now is to build a hefty design (gantry, motors, etc.) to handle the wood router type of items. Then the table itself would have to be removable and replaced with steel strips standing on end (like what Torchmate does.) Also, and this is one of the things that I am researching right now, the ballscrew obviously can not be down the center beneath the table. Other wise the plasma cutter would damage it. Does anyone know if there are 2 ballscrews, one on each side of the Y axis? If so, are there 2 stepper/servo motors that drive these or would you just use a single ballscrew just on one side? I believe that I may have also seen some designs that incorporate a belt drive for the Y axis. But again are they using 2 motors or just one?

ninewgt
06-07-2005, 07:19 AM
The Cad Cut uses 1 stepper on each axis. The Y axis is driven with a screw, the Z axis is driven with a rack and pinion and a single motor....

Hope I helped....