PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on adapting my router collet

MrBean
12-02-2004, 06:23 PM
I would like to use my 6mm shank milling cutters in my router, but I only have 1/2" and 1/4" collets. I have a beaten up lathe that can do simple jobs but machining a new collet and nut would not be easy, maybe not even possible.

I've attached a picture of a couple of ideas that I thought may work ok. I would like some feedback on which you think would work best.

Both collets shown to the left of picture are 1/2"

Top picture has another collet with 6mm reamed hole, inside the 1/2" collet to fit the 6mm cutter.

Bottom picture has a straight sleeve and 6mm hole with grub screws which fits inside the 1/2" , also ground flat on cutter shank.

What do you think. If either would work well.

Regards Terry...

HuFlungDung
12-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Too much extension, IMO. Its fine to use the router collet, but all you need to make are solid adapters to fit inside your 1/2" collet to adapt the various shank sizes. These you can take a hand hacksaw to, and saw lengthwise through one side of the adapter so it will collapse when the outer, router collet collapses.

MrBean
12-02-2004, 07:06 PM
The lengths of the parts shown are not accurate or representative of the actual length of parts that will be used. The drawing was made quickly just to get the idea across.

I would agree tho', if made at the length shown, it would be too long.

I like the idea of the sleeve cut down one side. Like a split bushing. Hadn't thought of that. Much easier to make. My lathe and hacksaw would be able to cope with that.

Regards Terry...

kong
12-03-2004, 08:25 AM
Just use some silver steel, drilled and reamed to 6mm with a grub-screw to hold the cutter in place. The grub screw can also act as a depth-stop for the cutter in the collet, for use in a fixed-length tooling system. The only drawback is having to grind a flat on the shank of the cutter for the grub-screw to grip. Apart from that, it should be easy if you have access to a lathe!
edit - I just re-read the posts, and I see you have a lathe, oops!

HomeCNC
12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Hey Kong! That holder looks very close to my Porter Cable fixed collets I built :)

kong
12-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Lol, of course, you gave me the idea, but they are really just a plain length of silver steel. They are 1/2" in diameter, and drilled/reamed to suit each cutter. I use the grub screws as depth stops for a fixed length setting. To be honest, I could not bear the tought of buying a load of collets just so I could strip off the nut and cir-clip like your setup :)