PDA

View Full Version : Flycutting with a router

ssozonoff
01-22-2009, 05:03 AM
Hello,

I read a lot about people surfacing the MDF sheet they use on their router.

Can someone recommend a good tool for this?

I have a table site of roughly 1300cm by 9000cm and min. spindle speed is 18'000rpm so I am guessing a flycutter is out of the question.

Thanks,
Serge

nwrepair1
01-22-2009, 05:50 AM
What size and type of motor do you have on the machine?

ssozonoff
01-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Hi,

I have a Kress 1050W spindle

Thanks,
Serge

nwrepair1
01-22-2009, 06:43 AM
That spindle has a low end speed of 10,000 rpm. It can take a 30mm drill. I think it has an 8 mm collet. So my bowl carving bit would work as long as you can find a metric size wher you are located. Perhaps Festool ? You should look for a router bit that will cut out a flat bottom in wood. Largest size you can get up to 30 mm. Try 12000 rpm and a 3 mm deep cut. Mill both sides.

ssozonoff
01-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Thats right ... I keep forgetting it goes down to 10'000 rpm ....

Thanks, I will see what I can find.

3mm on each side .... that won't leav much material on my spoilerboard when I am done :-) Need to buy some thicker MDF Sheets

Serge

skippy
01-22-2009, 11:16 AM
3mm on each side? I don't see what for.... Then underside of the mdf will sit good enough on whatever is below it. i.e. it will immediately assume the same shape/position as the piece it sits on (within reason of course). As for the top side I take just enough so that the tool surfaces the entire surface and nothing more.
I have heard of people taking a light cut on both sides of the sacrificial (spoiler) board purely to increase the throughput of air for their vacuum hold down systems but this is another matter. Basically this removes the higher density material at the surface of the mdf leaving only the lower density material of the core.

nwrepair1
01-22-2009, 03:57 PM
You are correct that I was thinking in terms of a vacuum table. With no vacuum you can cut one side only if the mdf is bolted down . I stand by the 3mm cut to keep the cutter from bouncing on the material and not making a surface square to the spindle head.