PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Setup help for Turbocnc

austexjwlry
01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Attached is a picture of my milling machine. I have a few questions on setting up Turbocnc.

First is some info on my system: Running Turbocnc v. 4.1, using Windows 98 Revision 4.10. Processor is a Celeron @ 500 mhz, with 512 MB RAM, 14.9 GB. The mill controller board is:

Aliencnc board
3 axis simple step
1/8 microstepping driver ver. 1.0 Rohs

Power supply:
Panja 12vdc 6.5 amp

Stepper motors:
Serial #FL57STH56-2006B
1.8 degree 2.0A/
weight 0.7 kg.(translated from Russian)
FLM Motor-Hybrid - 6 wires

I start the computer and Windows 98 screen appears. I downloaded and unzipped Turbocnc, placed it in C:drive. I then restart in MS-DOS. It comes up "C:\Windows>", so my command is "cd \", then Enter. The screen then goes to "C:\>". I type "Turbocnc\turbocnc", Enter. Goes back to the desktop. I go into "My Computer", C drive, call up Turbocnc, then it goes to the screen that says "press a key". A line on the screen then says "Problem! Could not find tool file." Does this seem like I am booting up correctly? How do I locate the tool file?

When I go into the Turbocnc parameters, first, in Configure Axis 1, when I hit on the "Scale: Calc", it has the steps and revolutions--my motors have 200 steps. the lead (TPI) is 20. The micro steps are set at 1--is this right? I am having trouble finding any information about the Aliencnc board. I've read on this forum that the Aliencnc 3 axis board follows the same parameters as the Xylotex. The gear ratio I've established is 14 to 1. I got this ratio by taping a ruler to my table, inserting a pointed bur into the spindle, lined up the point to the ruler (Z axis), then chose the whole numbered gear ratio that jogged the machine closest to 1 inch. I should be able to get the scale closer, but this is best for now.

The next question concerns Accel, Start vel., and max vel. I chose the Xylotex INI file as a starting point. the Accel. rate shows 2000 Hz/s. Start vel. is 250 Hz, and max vel. is 1000 Hz. Slow jog is set at 50 Hz, with fast jog at 500 Hz. This gives a start speed of 0.27 in/m., max speed is 1.07 in/m. This is really slow!

The data sheet for the controller board doesn't state the min/max output frequency of the PWM.

In the General Behavior, I added the default feed rate of 1.07 IPM, as per the axis configuration calculation. Should I use the "mill/drill" or "custom" setting?

Even though I changed the 3 axis settings in the configuration and saved that info to the Turbocnc INI, and reset ports, in the status window the gear ratio still shows 1 (M40). Should I change this, and how? I used the Xylotex INI file provided and renamed it to Turbocnc, as instructed, then placed it in the same directory with Turbocnc. It does seem to be saving the gear ratio changes.

The milling machine slow and fast jogs perfectly. I cut some zigzag patterns in a piece of Ferris green carving wax stabilized to a board with doublesided tape, fastened to the milling table. The Dremel was running @ 5000 rpm, which cut the wax perfectly. I was so excited about cutting the wax I started checking CAD/CAM programs. I tried using Vectric Cut3D trial version, which was easy to learn. I tried running a roughing file. Tony Mac with Vectric emailed a postprocessor for Turbocnc. It dry verified perfectly, but on the first run attempt stopped at the 7th line with a speed error on the spindle speed. Tony Mac emailed another option, which I haven't tried yet. I feel like I need to get my setup corrected first.

I'm hoping your help can enhance my speed and decrease the projected milling time. I don't want to increase the speed to the point of damage to my board or motors.

The support from Vectric has been amazing even though I'm just using the trial version. And thank you all in advance for your time and help and the great info on this forum!

Diana

Bubba
01-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Diana
"I start the computer and Windows 98 screen appears. I downloaded and unzipped Turbocnc, placed it in C:drive. I then restart in MS-DOS. It comes up "C:\Windows>", so my command is "cd \", then Enter. The screen then goes to "C:\>". I type "Turbocnc\turbocnc", Enter. Goes back to the desktop. I go into "My Computer", C drive, call up Turbocnc, then it goes to the screen that says "press a key". A line on the screen then says "Problem! Could not find tool file." Does this seem like I am booting up correctly? How do I locate the tool file?"

Instead of typing CD\, Type CD\Turbocnc as this appears to be the directory that contains all your files, then typ turbocnc to start the program. I assume that you have a file for tools *.tol (do a directory list to confirm this)

"It dry verified perfectly, but on the first run attempt stopped at the 7th line with a speed error on the spindle speed."
If I remember correctly, there is a max. spindle speed that is allowed by Turbocnc and I think it might be around 5000. So unless you have a software speed controller, show your speed as something else (say 2000 rpm). It won't make any difference to Turbocnc as it is not controlling anything.

Hope this helps and let us know if we can help further.

austexjwlry
01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Bubba:

Thanks for all your help! I still can't find the tool files, but I'll keep looking.

Diana

Bubba
01-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Diana,
It has been so long since I setup Turbocnc, that I don't remember; but you may need to make a tool file using the routine in setup.

austexjwlry
01-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Bubba,

Thanks again for your help with Ms-dos and I'll start on my tool files!

I compared some of the prior posts and came up with this easy solution for adjusting start/accel/max vel. I adjusted my fast jog value 4000 hz then fast jogged my x axis; it worked great. I then went to 4200hz and it started to skip, trying to stall. At 4400hz it stalled. I backed it down to 3700 and it seems to work great. I left my starting vel at 250 hz and the accel at 2000 hz. By increasing the max vel to 3700 hz I went from 1 ipm to 4 ipm!

Tony McKenzie from Vectric emailed us another postprocessor for turbocnc that has the spindle on/off commands removed. Now I'm running code as fast as I would possibly want using Cut3D. The Vectric support has been great! I'm running my Dremel at 5000 rpm and cutting carving wax perfectly! I still have to work out some scale issues & tweak my little mill's alignment, etc.

I'm thinking about using powdered graphite as my lubricant since I'm just cutting wax. Has anyone tried using Slick 50 in hopes of imparting a teflon coating on bearings and mating surfaces, etc...? I have so much to learn but am enjoying cnc so much!

Thanks again Bubba!

Diana

Bubba
01-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Diana,
Glad you got it working. Sorry I can't help with your other questions as I don't do wax, however on my machine, I use way oil for the sliding surfaces of my mill drill.

Good luck

Bye the way, hopefully we will have a new version of Turbocnc any day as Dave K has indicated V4.2 is about ready and it should have significant improvements as well as bug fixes.

Cruiser
01-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Diana, Dry lube would only be of benefit if your machine has ground or very fine/smooth mating surfaces. Consider a ground surface to glass and a machined surface to sand paper, The dry lube (Graphite or Molybdenum disulfide) would smear a film on the glass but get lost in the voids of the sandpaper ! If your machine is suited to dry lube then it would be best to rub it in so it stains the surface, its application more than quantity that does the job. If your machine slides are run in and have some smooth to it then try it by cleaning a section with some solvent, then apply dry lube by rubbing it in, then re-apply some oil film. Test it and if you like it then then do the rest of it, I used Moly-B on my machine but i also use copious amounts of oil too. Dry alone may not be the way to go as Galling may still be possible. Galling is the friction welding of similar metals, a factor of cohesion, and you don't want that. Al tho the fact that your only cutting wax can play in to your advantage as it to some extent is a lubricant, just don't count on it not to fail.

austexjwlry
01-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Cruiser:

Great suggestions! Since this is a brand new aluminum mill, I want to be sure to protect it from problems right away. Nothing as good as the voice of experience! Thanks for the help!

Diana

Cruiser
01-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Diana,
I've been thinking of this lube thing and aluminum. If the aluminum surfaces that slide are the extruded faces then porosity to hold the graphite or molly may not be there to enough of a degree to hold the molly, this is of degree in molecular scale. I've tried to rub in molly to an alum surface that was extruded, not machined and saw no staining. You could give some Molly assembly lube a try tho, this is a quality grease with lots of molly in it and found at automotive parts supply's. For your machine you don't really want a sticky grease surface as it would hold anything that dropped to it with tenacity. But you might rub it into surface then wipe off grease and have some staining benefit. I suspect tho it would be futile, aluminum rapidly oxidizes and this may inter fer with getting any molly or graphite to enter the pores at a molecular level to do any good. If any staining can be seen, then maybe it'll stay and do its job. You should keep some good slide oil in a squirt can at machine, and keep an active oil film. The oil will have enough tension to hold or float the slides and resist the surfaces from having any contact, That is what lubrication is all about anyway ! And it also helps to flush foreign materials away from being drawn into friction area, which would scratch alum and allow the alum to alum contact and galling potential, Be sure to keep your lapping rouge away from oily machine too ! The slick 50 is teflon based and may help but i don't have much faith in it for this application, but i haven't tried it either.