PDA

View Full Version : IH lapping documentation?

stag53
01-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi All,

I can't get the Lapping procedure stuff to load... does anyone have it on their hard drive?

Thanks!

Adam S

jalessi
01-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Adam,

Grit Strokes
80 20 - 30
120 40 - 50
220 40 - 50
320 40 - 50
500 40 - 50

Hope this Helps,

Jeff...

jalessi
01-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Adam,

Bob Warfield has pictures and the procedure documented.

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillCNCHome.html

Jeff...

oltimer
01-14-2009, 11:46 PM
stag53
IH has had ground ways for a couple of years now so they probably took it off. my IH mill has nice ground ways, no need to lap.
oltimer

stag53
01-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks... I'm planning to lap my X3. Haven't shelled out for the big IH mill yet.

Where's the best place to get the abrasive powder? I found it on Mcmaster, but they want more than $40 per grit!

Cruiser
01-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Go to the automotive parts outlet and look for valve grinding compound Another source would be a lapadary supply where they polish rocks. You don't want to go for 100% clean up which is a common mistake made ! all you really want or need is to smooth up the finish so it will slide easier, and the remaining mill marks can serve as oil gallery.
IH has been working on a brand new website and are changing everything about it so the presant site has been stripped to fascilitate the upgrade. Might be a few more weeks for the new site.
The only real info just refers to taking long full strokes with moderate over travel and a good cleanup when done. Remember that the machine was machined to fit and that lapping takes off material so in effect your loosening up that fit ! Only do enough to lessen the friction with minimal material removal.

stag53
01-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Great, thanks for all the info everyone. I'll keep you updated with my progress.

dandreat
10-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Howdy, folks. I've looked at the various references regarding lapping on IH / RF-45 class machines. Like the OP, I'm curious if anyone might have a copy of the 'actual' lapping procedure, as originally posted by IH, which they might be willing to share. I haven't had much luck tracking down the original. Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

dandreat

JRouche
11-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Howdy, folks. I've looked at the various references regarding lapping on IH / RF-45 class machines. Like the OP, I'm curious if anyone might have a copy of the 'actual' lapping procedure, as originally posted by IH, which they might be willing to share. I haven't had much luck tracking down the original. Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

dandreat

I have a copy of Aaron's entire web site. The old "green" web site and the new look. Problem? It falls under the copyright laws and I dont have any contact info for Aaron (think he went to work for his dad after selling IH). JR