PDA

View Full Version : Precison Plastic Rod Materials

Gene-Yo
01-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the a plastic solid rod with the following characteristics:

1. High tolerance for the rod outside diameter. I need rod sizes such as 1.00 inch and 1.25 inch material O.D. It needs to be very close to their given measurement such as 1.002" (so within a few thousanths).
2. Self lubricating so a slick plastic like teflon or UHMW.
3. Have good abrasion characteristics such as UHMW, Delrin or Teflon materials.

In fact it could be UHMW, Delrin or Teflon just I cannot find anywhere where they sell this materials in rods with high O.D. tolerances. Usually their tolerances are up to +0.02 inches and some are probably closer to +0.05 inches. And I need closer to +0.002 inches.

Does anyone know where to get this level of precision plastic rod material?

Thanks for the help!

Geof
01-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Have you taken some calipers down to your Delrin rod supplier and checked the sizes on their stock. We get Delrin in all sizes from 1/4" up to 2", I just checked a few sizes and they were all within +0.005" and some were better than +0.002". You should be able to find Delrin rod that is suitable and if you cannot I think you are going to have to loosen up your specs because that is the most precisely sized plastic rod I have ever encountered.