PDA

View Full Version : lead screw !!!

craftech
11-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Hello I am just wondering if i can use a diferent lead screw on the Z axis than the others 11 threads on the Z and 10 on the others or will this realy confuse the programing or anything else .
Thanks

ger21
11-27-2004, 11:34 AM
You can use different screws. It makes no difference to the controller.

craftech
11-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Hey thanks for the reply i was not sure since i received 3 teflon coated 1/2 '' acme screws 12 inch long with turned down ends for bearings and 1/4'' end for the steppers I will only be using 1 of them and will putting 2 of them back on EBay paid 14.00$ each they all have anty Backlash plastick nuts with springs not sure how strong they are but will give it as try
Thanks
Craftech

trubleshtr
11-27-2004, 07:04 PM
craftech post a pic, I may be intrested in one, save you the time of putting them on ebay???

Cold Fusion
11-27-2004, 07:35 PM
I use a different pitch on each of my axis and it hasn't caused any problems with Mach2.

MrBean
11-27-2004, 07:45 PM
I have a 5mm pitch ballscrew on Y & Z, and a long timing belt for X.

I think some controller software has trouble if your X,Y,Z movements are not matched.

I use Mach2, and have also had no problems with unmatched axii (axis's)......whatever...

craftech
11-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Hey Cold Fusion and trubleshtr Thanks and here is a pic of the screw i hope it will download i am using 10 turn per inch ACME on the other axis for now OK
Thanks Guys

Konstantin
11-29-2004, 09:30 AM
I have very similar lead screws to yours, craftech. The screw and the nut look practically the same except that my lead screw has 6 flutes, and the nut travels about 19mm in one turn.

Those lead crews I have present some chipping of the black coating (teflon?) in some places. Would it damage the plastic nut? Anyone knows if it can be repaired/restored?

Regarding this type of lead screw/nut, is it needed any sort of lubrication on them ???

Konstantin.

P.S. Pardon the thread hijack.

craftech
11-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Not sure about the repairs and lubrication on the screw but if thats the case I will not use this type of screw in my build and stay with the steel version, VS the Brass with teflon coating
Thanks
Craftech