PDA

View Full Version : question for cheapcnc owners

boxwood
11-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Hello

Was wondering if anyone could tell what material the www.cheapcnc.com
machines are made of looking for some better alternatives to mdf but most of the similar looking materials I have seen are very expensive but this guy also seems to have found a fairly cheap plastic http://members.cox.net/walachcnc/ anyone what this stuff might be

luthier
11-26-2004, 06:16 PM
High Density Polyethelene sheet would be my guess. It isn't cheap.Check out US Plastics.com.

coherent
11-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Looks like HDPE... like the stuff cutting boards are made of. It's very tought stuff, but easy to machine. Not sure thats what they use tho, because it will sag and warp fairly easily during temp changes. Of course it may be well braced/supported to avoid such issues. I use it for bearing mounts, router mounts etc and it works great. There are also folks who use it for slides on small home made machines as it does have fairly low friction and good wear properties.
-marc

HobbyCNC
11-27-2004, 06:38 PM
I asked him what it is made of, what electronics is used, what the "Build for $500" includes, and how fast does it go. Answer below......

Material is HDPE plastic, Motors are steppers and controller is xylotex. $500 is price for all material, motors, and electronics. Speed is 12 ipm. Thanks, Mike

Dave