PDA

View Full Version : My router caught fire today. Which new spindle?

MrBean
11-24-2004, 05:58 PM
My £25.00 router finally gave up today, and set itself on fire. I really only bought it as a tester. Now I know the CNC machine works ok, I need a new cutting spindle.

Anyone have any recommendations from expirience. I was thinking maybe along the lines of a Makita or Porta Cable perhaps even a bosch. Would need to be the fixed base type, so I can take the motor/spindle part out and fix it to the CNC.

My main priorities are: Durablility, Quietness. Variable speed would be nice too.

I'm based in the UK, but would buy from the US. I don't mind paying good money as long as I get a good router.

Recommendations please. Good or bad.

Many thanks.........

MrBean
11-24-2004, 07:08 PM
I've had a search on the web and can find only one fixed base router in the uk. A 900 Watt Makita.

Have found loads in the US, but appear to be 120 Volt AC. Does anyone know if these would run ok from a UK 240V to 110V site transformer?

HuFlungDung
11-24-2004, 09:26 PM
By all means, 120 volts is 120 volts no matter where it comes from :) Just watch that the wattage of the tranformer is high enough for the load of the motor.

JRoque
11-24-2004, 11:07 PM
http://www.internationaltool.com/220volt/220router.htm

Cheers,
Julio

kong
11-25-2004, 08:36 AM
i bought my makita from www.coastaltool.com and the service was exceptional. Delivered within 3 days! just bear in mind the VAT you will have to pay for importing it.
Yes, it will run fine from a regular bulding site transformer, but to add to Hu's comments, check the duty-cycle of the tranny. Mine is rated for 15 mins on 15 mins off at peak wattage (3kw), but since I am only using about half that, I have had no problems with it cutting out........yet! They are sealed units, so perhaps one day I should add a fan?!

yukonho
11-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Just switched to a porter cable trim router. Quieter and much more solid than anything else I have tried. Can only use 1/4" shank bits though :(
My machine is small, not sure what size you need. I have had two other spindles with variable speed, and have never run them at anything but max RPM.
co

MrBean
11-26-2004, 06:02 PM
I've ordered the Makita router from Coastaltool.com as recommended by Kong. Many thanks for that.

Why is it that I can find only one router in the UK that the motor/spindle assembly can be withdrawn from, and that's after hours of searching. There are almost no fixed base routers available here at all.
The one I did find is a Makita, but it is less powerful and more expensive than the one I've ordered from the US, that's including the $80.00 shipping and UK taxes.

Now I have to order another one of those cheapo routers that catch fire in under 20 hours of use, so I can machine a bracket to mount the new Makita.

Next up. Improved stepper drivers.........

This CNC hobby is really starting to soak up the money now!!!! Good news is I may have found a paying customer.

Thanks to all for the router info's.......

Terry