PDA

View Full Version : Velocity 4 - vista 64 issue

PinnacleMachine
01-07-2009, 06:42 PM
hi all, I seem to have stumped surfware on this at the moment. I have a 64bit Quad core Zeon machine running Vista 64 and cannot get a total CPU load higher than 25% - each core is only working 25%. Which indicates to me that surfcam is not utilizing the multi cores.

Any ideas? Anyone with a XP 64 machine out there able to get higher cpu loads on a multi core machine?

JP

Death Adder
01-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I did some checking on this.

I have Vista x64 with an AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ processor.

I loaded up the bottle sample file and ran both 3d offset and pencil (the new HSM ones.) My CPU load was usually around 50% (This is a dual core chip) but would frequently go to about 50-60%. It spiked to as much as 75% but only for a quick moment. I was measuring using the windows task manager and looking at what the surfcam process was doing (not the total system load).

So, it appears you are correct. On Vista x64 surfcam has junk for multiprocessor support. It's not zero but it wasn't using it much.

PinnacleMachine
01-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Were those cpu loads just for surfcam of for all services/programs? Was there an auto save somewhere in there that boosted cpu load?

JP

Death Adder
01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Were those cpu loads just for surfcam of for all services/programs? Was there an auto save somewhere in there that boosted cpu load?

JP

That was just the surfcam.exe process. But it would have included every thread, including auto saving. It seems to indicate that something isn't letting surfcam get multiple threads going very often. The display code and maybe the file saving code seem to be threaded but tool path calculation runs all in one thread.