PDA

View Full Version : Miller TIG pedal--> 14 pin to 6 pin

stag53
01-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi all,

Long time reader, occasional poster.

Has anyone here adapted a Miller 14 pin pedal to a 6 pin machine? I'm switching out my Syncrowave to a Maxstar... space limitations... I'd like to avoid having to buy a $225 pedal to go with it. I would assume it's mostly a matter of figuring out which wires are what and splicing into a new DIN connector?

Thanks in advance!

Adam S

stag53
01-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Well, looks like I answered my own question. Miller has a wiring diagram with both the 6 and 14 pin diagram on the same page...

Just need to order a connector and I'm in business.

stag53
01-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Thought I'd post any progress I make, in case someone else wants to pursue this...

Found this company via Ebay and followed the pedal to their website where they sell the connectors: http://www.ssccontrols.com/index.htm

I'm thinking about making an adapter with a male 14-pin plug on one end and 6-pin female plug on the other... cleaner and more flexible than lopping the 14-pin off (and if I ever switch back to a welder with 14-pin remote, it's easy to switch back).

Will update further as things move forward...

Adam S

mc-motorsports
01-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Sorry nobody could help you with that. But please post up, it's good for future reference!

And SSC Controls is local for me, they make nice stuff! I have one of thier foot pedals, top notch quality.

MC

stag53
02-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Just thought I'd finish this post in case anyone is looking to do this...

I bought a 6-pin connector from SSC controls. It had a 2' pigtail on it... $30.

I gave up on making an adapter cable as it would have cost about $75 for the connectors. Anyhow, I cut the 14-pin from the pedal and wired it all up referencing SSC's documentation and Miller's to get the wires connected right.

First arc: hit the pedal and got full current at the top of the stroke, min at the bottom. Ooops. Easy fix:

Pins 3-4 should read 1,000 ohm (plus or minus 10%) with the pedal in the upright position. This is the red and green wires for the Miller model.
Pins 3 and 4 for the SSC setup are blue and brown. However, the main thing is that the Miller have 1000 ohms between pins 3 and 4 with the pedal up. As the pedal is pressed, this should go to zero.

Second arc: success! The little Maxstar welds pretty good... not as good as my old Syncro, but at a 1/8th the weight and size, it's pretty cool (and I can run it on 110 or 220!).