PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Traverse Too Fast

gopackgo
11-24-2004, 01:39 AM
I am running a licensed version of Mach2 but it rapid traverses too fast, and I don't see how to slow it down. It traverses at more than 200 inches/ minute and my steppers stop turning at about 120 ipm. 80 ipm would be plenty fast for me. How do I control rapid traverse speed?

kong
11-24-2004, 03:16 AM
If you go into Config -> Motor tuning from the menu at the top, you can adjust the velocity and accelleration for each axis in there to suit your machine. It is well worth downloading the manual for Mach2 since it will explain everything you need to know :)

gopackgo
11-24-2004, 03:31 PM
I downloaded, printed, and read the operators manual and have tuned the stepper motors to a crawl when I run them manually or jog them.But when I run a program they rapid traverse too fast. I used sheetcam to make the gcode.

Jerry

kong
11-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to offend!
It does seam strange though, the max traverse rate should be the max you have set in Mach2. All I can think is that Mach2 has not saved your settings correctly. If you go into the Mach2 program folder, there is a file called Mach2Mill.xml. If you wouldn't mind posting it, I would like to take a look at your settings.

JRoque
11-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Hello. If you go to the 2nd screen, MDI (I think) and type G0X10 does that move the X axis too fast? That's what's known as rapid movement and it's limited by the motor tuning dialog. Isn't this the case with your setup?

Julio

gopackgo
11-24-2004, 11:38 PM
After I wrote and sent that post I thought to myself; you now that could be taken like I was offended, but my true feelings are I really do appreciate the help you guys give and I take all suggestions that way. In real life you would've seen that. I'll try the MDI suggestion and report back. My machine and its computer are in the basement.
Thanks
Jerry

gopackgo
11-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Your reply Kong got me thinking about how I have my motors tuned, and I realized I had them setup wrong. I had set the velocity too high and when I used the constant jog for testing the axis, I would turn the jog override percentage down to 20%. It worked fine that way for jogging but when a program told the machine to GOO it went as fast as I had unknowingly set it. Mach2 works well again, it's me that needs a tune up.

Thanks