PDA

View Full Version : Over 60 Steam Engine Plans

gdl357
11-24-2004, 12:02 AM
I have just uploaded many steam engine plans and videos.

www.hobbysteam.com

Enjoy

gdl357
12-12-2004, 03:02 PM
I did not mention that the plans are ALL FREE. High quality with descriptions and color pictures. many to choose from!

Enjoy :cheers:

JFettig
12-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Hey looks promicing, It would be nice if we werent required to register to download these.

Jon

gdl357
12-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Name me one forum that allows you to download without registering. Didn't you have to register at cnczone?

Takes 1 minute. cmon. There is over 400hours of my time invested in this site and most of the plans were purchased at 15-30$ USD!

sendkeys
12-12-2004, 04:51 PM
nice site. registering isn't a big problem :) just a pain for lazy people like me hehe one thing is the email gets send to the bulk folder in yahoo email. . so make sure to check it :)

3t3d
12-12-2004, 04:52 PM
If you had to Purchase the plans, aren't they copyrighted??

If someone else had to draw them up, investing their time, in order
to sell them to you, can you give them away, and stop future sales
for the origanl authors?

Just curious what this is all about.
Pete

gdl357
12-12-2004, 04:55 PM
The original documents were purchased. Most coming from very old Magazines that no longer exist.The object behind this site is not to make money by having a bunch of sponsors or selling the plans. When I purchased my lathe I tried to search for a plan so I could start building an engine and all I could find for free was a great site owned by Dave Goodfellow. If it wasn't for his site, there would be no FREE sites out there where you would be able to learn and download plans. Thats when I decided to create my site. All the money I spent for Vbulletin, the hosting fees, the plans and my time setting up the site (most of the days staying up till 3 AM on a working day) does not bother me a bit. All I want is to have a site where people get together and talk, upload plans, videos and pictures so someone that is begining can have a place to ask questions and learn from others on how to build these miniature models.

WeCheat
12-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Sweat site. Nice to see the effort put into it just to help others out. As for the 400hr you have in the site, well all I can say as it takes off all that will seam like a drop in the bucket. Hope it doesn't cut into your building time to much. Keep it up and get some help so you don't get overwhelmed by it, and it turns into another job and loses it's fun. Site like yours and the one here is what makes the hobbies fun and keeps it growing. Great job!!!

edbo68
01-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks a Bunch for those plans! I really appreciate it. I think we should perserve all out of print books and plans. That's what is great about the internet and what I think it was originally designed for! What good is it, if the knowledge of those past authors is lost. It doesn't help anyone!

Yes, People should get paid for what they do. But just because it isn't worth the expense to publish someones work from times past, just Doesn't seem right to let it die.

I guess I'm from the old school internet where information was shared and not SOLD!

Just My .25 Cents!

Again Thanks for the plans!

gdl357
02-06-2005, 12:55 AM
I would like to thank Paul, The admin and all the moderators for letting me place my forum url on this site so many users can see my free forum :cheers:

Thank you, and don't worry I am not the competition. Ha

Mcgyver
03-14-2005, 10:15 AM
guess I'm from the old school internet where information was shared and not SOLD!

amen

gdl, thanks very much for the link and the forum - i look forward to browsing

gdl357
03-14-2005, 10:46 PM
I thank you all for joining. Enjoy!

jones
10-07-2005, 01:03 AM
I registered at this site but i cant download any files, pictures or movies. I cant post replies or new topics.

What is happening?

PEU
10-07-2005, 08:50 AM
When I saw the link here I tried too, I received this msg:

Site Donation
Please donate to help keep this site up and running with the latest upgrades and to help pay for hosting fees and bandwidth usage. A VERY small fee considering the amount of high quality FREE Plans that you will be able to download from this site.

Validity periods marked indicate that purchasing this subscription will extend your existing subscription to a FULL ACCESS one, one that will allow you to download and upload files and also view pictures and post in threads. Once paid, The "Registered User" will also fall under the "Premium Member" Group.
6 MONTHS = $10.00 USD

So it seems is no longer free :)

Pablo

CutterGrinder
10-07-2005, 01:29 PM
..."I did not mention that the plans are ALL FREE. High quality with descriptions and color pictures. many to choose from!"...

Not even a preview to see what we would get for our "premier membership"?

gdl357
10-08-2005, 01:00 AM
CutterGrinder, why didn't you come 1 YEAR AGO when it was FULLY FREE. If you notice I made that comment in 12-12-2004. Not missleading at all!

But hey, if you all find that $10.00 is expensive for six months, then YOU should have no problems paying my hosting fees, domain name and time to upgrade and maintain the forum with new patches when I will go out and drink beer and look at you do it.

Funny how people have a problem paying a small fee for something, but yet expect others to pay a HUGE fee with no sweat.

My site was TOTALLY FREE for one year, and unlike CNC, I have no advertisers on my site.

thx

Nobes
10-28-2005, 10:26 PM
My site was TOTALLY FREE for one year, and unlike CNC, I have no advertisers on my site.

thx

Well get some, every forum that i know of that you have to pay to use certain things eventually went under becasue of not enough users.
your going about it completly the wrong way
make it free, and have lots more users so you can have a few advertisers.
no one cares if there is an ad in the top right corner of every window, sometimes they come in handy. its not as if it's a pop up or anything.

gdl357
10-29-2005, 02:17 AM
Nope.

Nobes
10-29-2005, 08:13 AM
informative and indepth response.

made up my mind up easy then, no thanks.

katie
10-30-2005, 12:54 AM
How do I register? I sent an e-mail, will that work?

Katie

katie
10-30-2005, 12:56 AM
How do I register? I sent an e-mail will that work?

Sorry repeat can't delet it

Katie

Accu157
06-08-2006, 09:17 PM
you have to register at the site, then pay to download the plans.

gdl357, seriously reconsider having advertisers. The site barely has any users at this point. Something else will pop up at some point, and noone will use the site simply becasue "it ain't free".

mikel
07-14-2006, 07:21 PM
FYI:

Most of these aforementioned rather nice steam engine plans are from a book called Elmer's Engines by Elmer Verburg, ISBN 096216710X. Yes, I have the book which is extremely difficult to find. If you run across it, don't hesitate to buy it,whatever the cost !! The book occasionally pops up on eBay and other machining web sites (that's how I got mine in a roundabout way :D).

If you look for the Elmer's Engines Yahoo groups,

http://groupyahoo.com/group/Elmers_Engines_1/
http://groupyahoo.com/group/Elmers_Engines_2/
http://groupyahoo.com/group/Elmers_Engines_3/
http://groupyahoo.com/group/Elmers_Engines_4/

you'll also see the plans from his book. Another gentleman had scanned those plans a few years ago. The reversing horizontal mill engine is on my short list of which one's to build !! :D

diarmaid
09-23-2006, 05:12 PM
lol....I guess TANSTAAFL ! :D Im sure its a great site though.

shayoshay
10-26-2006, 03:27 AM
hi mate is there any chane you could email me some plans and instructions for a simlpe steam engine , (i am a beginner !!!!!!)
seamus from ireland

Smurf208
10-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Don't make us register, ppl don't like registering for free things, it turns away half the ppl? Your site is very misleading

Ringo
12-31-2006, 05:20 PM
Well I think the guy is genuine And I'm going to register as soon as I get time and even if it cost 10 bones theres not a lot of room to complain! Have you priced what some of these guys charge for a single engine plan ?Annnddd I'll bet it's better spent then the 16 bones I forked out for a pizza I'm still tasting from 4 hours ago blaaaaaaa

Aksess
01-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Ringo I am with you I just saw the sight and before finishing reading this thread I Payed the $12 gladley. I for one know what it is like to devote time and expenses, As I use to Admin an IRC server for over 4 years. Lot of time and expense.

Ringo
01-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Well I finally got the time to register .It's not 10 its 12 bones as Aksess pointed out . But I'm telling ya you guys are missing out .It's more (way more) then worth it .I want to point out that I don't know this guy or have ever talked to him as of now so I'm not advertising for him I just think maybe some of you judged him a little to quick.Yes he might of worded it a little differently but after I registered it was very clear he's not trying to con people into joining his site. My 12 dollars and 2 cents ...Good investment!

Aksess
01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
I have started building the candle engine 2 It looks real neat and should be easy to build!

stevek433
02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
I registered but cannot not download the plans.. what am i doing wrong?

steve (stevek433@comcast.net)

Speedygonzales
02-26-2007, 09:32 PM
is it possible someone could help me out, i would like to get the plans could someone email them to me, i dont have paypal and there is a big hassle involved with money orders damn post office. (i didn't see that option)

hopefully someone is willing to help:)

if so it is much appreciated.

imfishguy@hotmail.com

thanks

Mike

nick.gilling
03-01-2007, 06:11 AM
Register with paypal mate, it's dead easy and very secure.

Speedygonzales
03-01-2007, 06:01 PM
meh. dont have a personal credit card.

im sure someone can take 5 mins to help

Aksess
03-01-2007, 06:10 PM
You do not half to have a credit card. You can sign up with pay-pal via checking account. Some people will always want sompthing for nothing.

Speedygonzales
03-01-2007, 06:13 PM
its okay i will not push it. dont want to get a bad rep over this.

hopefully soon i can get this sorted out with a paypal account or through my checkings like you mentioned Aksess :)

thanks
Mike

simpi
06-24-2007, 06:15 AM
I just register on your forum and guess what it is not for free.
all this plans are free if i pay you 12 $.Nice free downloads?
I knew there i a cache.
But never the less ty for sharing your knowledge with all of us.
Some other facts.
1. I dont have pay-pal
2. cant post anywhere in forum :confused:

bogstandard
08-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Please take note, read the small print.
This site is $12 for six months only, then another payment is required to carry on using the site.
Most of the plans can be obtained elsewhere totally free.

John

bogstandard
10-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Looks like the site has gone bump anyway.

Free Citiz
12-06-2007, 06:11 AM
Well, all is not lost. For now, at least we stll have this site; http://www.vintageprojects.com/machine-shop/steam-engine-hobby.html

Enjoy :)

bogstandard
12-06-2007, 06:30 AM
We have just moved our site to a permanent one after 6 months up and running on a free site. Your thread has already been mentioned on there.
Please feel free to come across and check us out.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php

You won't be disappointed.

John

Free Citiz
01-17-2008, 02:15 AM
Thanks John,

Looks good. Will Check it out.

Lim

miniengine
07-14-2009, 07:48 PM
where do I go to see the 60 free plans for steam engines?

miniengine
07-14-2009, 08:18 PM
how do I get in touch with member: gdl357

miniengine
07-14-2009, 08:20 PM
how do I get to see ANY steam engine plans on here. Thanks

gdl357
09-16-2009, 02:45 PM
You Can't anymore. :nono:

As you can see from the mostly negative responses I have gotten just because I had asked to have a small fee that went to hosting the site paid. The worst part is when you see your nights and weekends go by working on the forum, and then getting more negative responses, it's like a shot in the heart. My dream was to once have a 5000 user forum, but that was then.

SO, I decided to pull the whole site of the face of the cyber planet. I can easly reinstall the forum and get it up and running in about 2 hours...but why??? My time is more important than maintaining a forum for cheapos.

Like I said before, thx to who ever join as I am sure you are still smiling from all the plans and videos you must have downloaded for free. I had close to 200 plans on there waiting to get downloaded at one point...all you had to do is pay $12 :wave:

Thx

miniengine
09-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the reply.

bogstandard
09-16-2009, 05:04 PM
If you want to see a site that is dedicated to sharing things, including all of his own designed plans then look at Jan Ridders site.

http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/index_framelinks_english.htm

This true gentleman shares everything, and only if you ask for one of his great plans is there any mention of a voluntary donation to help keep his site going. But as I said, it is voluntary, NOT forced upon you.

I know of dozens of sites like this, where people share with no thought of making profits, and everything is kept to donations only or totally free.

I hate seeing people starting up a website, and who then start to sell basic model plans STOLEN from other peoples work, who have usually made them available for free on the net.

I spend many of my freetime hours writing up posts, showing how to make things and also designing engines and tooling, making them free to download or see, for anyone who wants them. My time is worth a lot more than it costs to run a website, and I wouldn't even consider charging anyone for the help I give them.

http://madmodder.net/

Bogs

PEU
09-16-2009, 09:29 PM
My time is more important than maintaining a forum for cheapos.

You should read "Free" By Chris Anderson... and yes, you can find it for free online or look for it at amazon.

Pablo

spiked3
09-18-2009, 10:49 AM

As you can see from the mostly negative responses I have gotten just because I had asked to have a small fee that went to hosting the site paid. The worst part is when you see your nights and weekends go by working on the forum, and then getting more negative responses, it's like a shot in the heart. My dream was to once have a 5000 user forum, but that was then.

SO, I decided to pull the whole site of the face of the cyber planet. I can easly reinstall the forum and get it up and running in about 2 hours...but why??? My time is more important than maintaining a forum for cheapos.

Like I said before, thx to who ever join as I am sure you are still smiling from all the plans and videos you must have downloaded for free. I had close to 200 plans on there waiting to get downloaded at one point...all you had to do is pay $12 :wave:

Thx

I'll call double bs, maybe even triple.
1) You already paid your hosting fee. It saved you no money pulling your site down, you did it out of spite. You could have left it up, changed access to free until your hosting plan expired, and at least gotten back some good will. Instead you chose to pull it. That means you probably were not paying for it to begin with.
2) You can easily support a web site with google advertisements. been there done that. if google ads dont support the site, then the interest is too small and you shouldn't even bother. Charging visitors a fee was a pure profit move.
3) The original plans were not yours to publish to begin with. The real cheapo here is apparent.
4) I have seen too many web sites were the author felt he had done some great work by installing forum software, and people would come flocking to it. Get a clue, web authors are a dime a dozen. It takes business sense to run a successful web site. The fact that you spent your time on the web site tells me right off the bat you do not have business sense.

good luck on your next venture.

vlmarshall
09-18-2009, 04:44 PM
If you want to see a site that is dedicated to sharing things, including all of his own designed plans then look at Jan Ridders site.

http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/index_framelinks_english.htm

This true gentleman shares everything, and only if you ask for one of his great plans is there any mention of a voluntary donation to help keep his site going. But as I said, it is voluntary, NOT forced upon you.

I know of dozens of sites like this, where people share with no thought of making profits, and everything is kept to donations only or totally free.

I hate seeing people starting up a website, and who then start to sell basic model plans STOLEN from other peoples work, who have usually made them available for free on the net.

I spend many of my freetime hours writing up posts, showing how to make things and also designing engines and tooling, making them free to download or see, for anyone who wants them. My time is worth a lot more than it costs to run a website, and I wouldn't even consider charging anyone for the help I give them.

http://madmodder.net/

Bogs

Completely true, and thank you very, very much, Bogs, for all of the information you've provided to myself and others. http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j196/vlmarshall/graphics/bowdown.gif

bogstandard
09-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Many thanks,

But I don't do it for praise. It is all to do will preserving a tradition.

Home machinists (and even industrial full time ones) are a dying breed, whether CNC or manual, and it should be up to the people with even a basic knowledge to pass it on to the following generations.
Each tiny contribution, given freely, be it from a newbie or the more experienced, all adds up to a lot of information that can be accessed by one and all.

If just one tiny piece of information that I have posted strikes a spark and gets one more person interested in what we do, then all my efforts have been worthwhile.

Give freely and expect nothing in return.

Bogs

shadow3621
01-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Hello all, I am a beginner machinist, and it is a passion that I am allowing to take over my life, lol. I collect blueprints of engines, locomotives, and engine accessories. I appreiciete any help I get with free plans, and I don't have a problem donating to a site when asked. I agree with all of you who posted to this effect, and I feel that a mandatory fee for work that showcases something done by someone else is wrong. I am working on building my own engine collection and wouldn't feel right charging for plans that I didn't design. Thank you all.

vlmarshall
01-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Hello all, I am a beginner machinist, and it is a passion that I am allowing to take over my life, lol. I collect blueprints of engines, locomotives, and engine accessories. I appreiciete any help I get with free plans, and I don't have a problem donating to a site when asked. I agree with all of you who posted to this effect, and I feel that a mandatory fee for work that showcases something done by someone else is wrong. I am working on building my own engine collection and wouldn't feel right charging for plans that I didn't design. Thank you all.

Ha, I know what you mean about it taking over. At first I worried about doing this stuff at home, after spending all day doing it at work.... but the relaxed pace and ability to choose my own projects makes it a great hobby.

Have you looked at the Home Model Engine Machinist forum? http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/
It's full of helpful people, ideas, and plans, with a very laid-back atmosphere. :D

shadow3621
01-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Lol, that is and isn't what I meant. I am quitting my job as a truck driver to be an apprentice machinist within the next couple of months. I figure that I am 36 years old and young enough to do it with time to spare.

ROGERTHORNTON
06-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah, thanks. Just pull the teaser. I don't care about paying one way or another, but I sure hate going thru the crap of registering then finding out what I want isn't there.............

Or put your site up WITH A FEE so the rest of us can download for God's sake. Crybabies are everywhere.

fly_boy_bc
08-27-2010, 06:30 PM
I have TWICE the time and number of plans that you put into your site and I don't even try to make advertising money out of it. It has always been free and will always be free and BECAUSE I AM NOT DUMB it costs me NOTHING to have it online.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Copyright-free-aircraft-plans

fly_boy_bc
08-27-2010, 06:37 PM
I am not there yet but I am well on the way to having that 5000 member forum..........

oshb5
12-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Very well put BogS

Iv found n end of the plans that i wan and all free from various ME forums and groups on the net I do not mind a volentary contrabution at all Its when its a forced contrabution i get pi***ed at As you say some one did the plans originally and shurly they should get any profits that are made from them. I myself have a site where i put my photos of various events that i attend and there is also a forum on the site The photo i take can be downloaded in the form i put them on at but can also be purchased for the price it costs me to have enlargments done plus the postage. I dont sell many at all but thats not why i do it The reason is that i like doing it and if i did not sell any that would be ok. We take on these tasks because we like doing it and not because we want to get rich quick.. I liked what he put about wanting 5000 members at $12 mm that $6000 Not a bad eturn is it and as for spending 400 hours at it he must understand what he is doing as it takes me a hell of a lot less time and im uploading loads of photos per week on a regular basis so im unsure where you can spend this much time. I also spend time as a mod on a few other Astonomy sites And even then with modding and replying as well as taking part in then it still is only a couple of hours a week total???

Anything you want is out there for nothing but you always have those that will try and charge you for it Most of you know it happens Its just the unfortunate few that cannot find what they are looking for so end up bein causgh in these fly trap is it not. And unfortunately its the older end of the users thet are unfamiliar with the internet and can possibly also not afford much but this does not deterre the unscupercilious people does it.

QUOTE=bogstandard;666664]If you want to see a site that is dedicated to sharing things, including all of his own designed plans then look at Jan Riddes site.

Welkom bij Jan Ridders modelbouw (http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/index_framelinks_english.htm)

osh

MadModder - Index (http://madmodder.net/)

Bogs[/QUOTE]

fly_boy_bc
12-17-2010, 01:23 PM
1.....5000 x 12 = 6000??!?!!??
5000 x 12 = $60,000.00

2.....it is called "spellcheck" please use it. Otherwize you look pretty dumb.

Randyinaloha
12-18-2010, 01:52 AM
The only thing I cannot picture in my head is the shuttle valve that swaps ports and cylinder head space.

If I can avoid all the BS on here I would be happy.

Thank You.

Randy

schoepflin
01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm searching for free plans which I can convert to 3D CAD drawings just to pass the time. I work in Alibre and do this as a pass time. This is also a great way to locate errors in original drawings where things just don't quite mesh. I'm more than willing to share the finished product.

captbob
03-28-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't get it!! Where are the free steam engine plans?? I found this web-site while looking for steam engine plans and it said "60 steam engine plans for free". When you click on free plans you go to free engine plans!! When you click onto "free engine plans you get 10 other sites that say "free engine plans"!! WTF!! I registered for this site, which seems to be valuable, but can't find any plans, let alone free! Can someone give me a clue? Bob.:drowning:

miniengine
03-28-2011, 09:40 PM
There are many good FREE plans on Steam Engine Plans (http://www.john-tom.com/html/SteamPlans.html) which is John-tom's site
miniengine

captbob
03-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Capt. Bob

kenuston
08-16-2011, 09:23 PM
did you find your engine plans?
little machine shop.com has 1 free set
dave goodfellow (tinkertime) had at least 10 all free but may have died ...i can no longer find his web site

thunderdogzCAD
08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Happy Happy Joy Joy
Gonna make a New Toy

Chugga Chugga Chugga - Toooot-Toot