PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Need New Controller

hover1
01-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Greetings,

First post, but I have spent a few months looking through the forum for an answer, but had not found one for my question.

I have a large 2 axis foam cutting machine; will cut 12’W x 8’D x 5’H Blocks. I am trying to replace the front end, as the computer (MAC) and software are from 1995, and I find the software somewhat limited. I can program in X,Y fine (cut boxes), I can also import a PIC file to display on screen and trace it, (a royal pain), and the program has only one font. I need to be able to import Illustrator vector files and create custom signs from the hundreds of fonts out in public domain.

What I have is as follows:

• T.S.I. Inc. Foam Cutting Machine (I believe they are out of business)
• Steppers on the machine (1-X, 1-Y) are: SloSyn M093-FD11G12 2400 Steps/Rev (I forget the voltage)
• Stepper Drive unit: ROF 5004 (River Oaks Farm, Austin, TX, I believe they are out of business)
• Software: Foamline 5000 on license from George Barlow, I believe he is out of business)

This runs of a MAC Performa 6360 and output is from the Modem (serial) port on the MAC.

If I were trying to replace an old PC and software running off the printer port, I think it would be a piece of cake, but the stepper controller looking for a serial input makes my quest a little difficult.

Happy New Year,

Jim

texasfiddler
01-06-2009, 08:05 PM
emc2 linux based used on several foam machines Free WILL RUN ON NEW Mac or linux based PC. free dnload chk it out

TScott71
04-16-2010, 12:19 PM
George Barlow is actually still in business. If you need his contact info let me know. First thing you should do is upgrade your Mac to a Power Mac G3 running OS 9.2.2. Makes Foamline alot more friendly and usable. Any questions you have I should be able to answer

hover1
04-16-2010, 06:44 PM
@TScott

I had given up on this post. :) Glad you have some information. No problem upgrading to whatever hardware we need. Looking forward to your response. Any info would be great!

Best Regards,
Jim

George Barlow is actually still in business. If you need his contact info let me know. First thing you should do is upgrade your Mac to a Power Mac G3 running OS 9.2.2. Makes Foamline alot more friendly and usable. Any questions you have I should be able to answer

hover1
04-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Many, many searches with Google, Bing, AltaVist does not bring up George Barlow or Foamline. Anybody have recent contact information?
Thanks,
Jim